Statue on Adelaide Hills

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

Statue on Adelaide Hills

#1 Post by JamesXander » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:28 pm

Seriously, this has alot of potential. The more I think about it the greater it sounds (to me!). What is the one thing that stands out in other countries that we dont have?

An Iconic statue. A massive one.

So heres the plan. We build either a) an Anzac soldier or b) an early settler on top of say either Glen Osmond or above Urrbrae. Would be an awesome sight. Have a cablecart etc going up to it, tubogen tubes going down (!!).

Image Image

Illuminate it at night, use it as a look out during the day. The Hills to me are underutilised, It would literally become the centrepoint of Adelaide. And with a god damn fine view too. I'll get the shovels, you get the cement. I'll meet you somewhere in the Hills in five.

Lets do this

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

Re: Statue on Adelaide Hills

#2 Post by Hooligan » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:25 pm

Not sure. Are you going to complain about it looking half done when it's only half done?

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

yousername
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by yousername » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:34 am

that would look awesome. or what about a d e l a i d e in humungous letters along the hills. epic
Will wrote:Victorians can get f#$%^&*!

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4 Post by rhino » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:51 pm

or, maybe, a statue that looks like this guy

http://images.google.com/hosted/life/l? ... start%3D36
cheers,
Rhino

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by JamesXander » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:47 am

Good suggestion also!!

How about one on either side of the freeway, on top of the Hills. Would look amazing!

I honestly think this is something we should investigate. Would be the centrepeice of our state. A great statue/s, and an amazing view of a great city.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Wayno » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:11 am

Erecting a statue on the Adelaide Hills would be perceived as "So 1980s" in my opinion...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

rhino

#7 Post by rhino » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:21 am

You mean, it would look like something that's been there for 30 years, not something we just thought up? :)
cheers,
Rhino

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#8 Post by adam_stuckey » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:18 am

Wayno wrote:Erecting a statue on the Adelaide Hills would be perceived as "So 1980s" in my opinion...
So that would mean Adelaide's almost ready for it!
To try to put it in some sort of perspective the World Cup is as big as having 2 grand finals a day for a month

dbl96
High Rise Poster!

#9 Post by dbl96 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:28 pm

The Quarryface at stonyfell in the second creek valley under greenhill road, is visable to much of inner adelaide even the western suburbs. How about buying out the quarry, and carving a massive face into the cliffface a la Mt Rushmore.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#10 Post by crawf » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:48 am

I once heard there was a plan to convert that area into a cemetery with grass... it's such a blight on the hills facezone

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by Maximus » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:12 pm

yousername wrote:that would look awesome. or what about a d e l a i d e in humungous letters along the hills. epic
I've always thought this would be an awesome idea. It would be so visible from the airport. Who needs Hollywood when you've got Adelaide?! But then I wonder, would it also perhaps be a bit tacky...?

Also, how about we tear down the three ugly (IMHO) TV towers near Mt Lofty and replace them with one new tower that's actually at the summit, a la Telstra Tower in Canberra: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telstra_Tower (but a more modern design). This would give a fantastic view of both the hills and the city, and likely be a very popular tourist destination. It would also serve as a more effective fire lookout than the rickety-looking fire-spotting tower that's currently in service.
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

rhino

#12 Post by rhino » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:18 pm

Maximus wrote:Also, how about we tear down the three ugly (IMHO) TV towers near Mt Lofty and replace them with one new tower that's actually at the summit, a la Telstra Tower in Canberra: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telstra_Tower (but a more modern design). This would give a fantastic view of both the hills and the city, and likely be a very popular tourist destination. It would also serve as a more effective fire lookout than the rickety-looking fire-spotting tower that's currently in service.
I like this idea. :applause:
cheers,
Rhino

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#13 Post by JamesXander » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:26 pm

I still imagine a statue on one of the hills in Adelaide every now and than. I think it truly would look great and be an attraction to see. As someone pointed out, Mt Lofty is great but there is nothing up there. Put a tower up there, a statue on a lower hill (My preference being on the Urrbrae Hill or the Glen Osmond hill). Straight away you now have two very distinguishable attractions in Adelaide! How can you lose?

Or better yet lets spend $50m on keeping holden here for 10 more months.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#14 Post by Maximus » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:55 pm

Noticed this in the paper the other day...
Brenton Bock wants Hollywood-style sign for Adelaide in the Hills
by: Belinda Willis

AD man Brenton Bock has a Hollywood-style vision to build a giant, glowing Adelaide sign for the Hills.

full article...
I would just like to record here for posterity that yousername and I thought of it first... :D
Maximus wrote:
yousername wrote:that would look awesome. or what about a d e l a i d e in humungous letters along the hills. epic
I've always thought this would be an awesome idea. It would be so visible from the airport. Who needs Hollywood when you've got Adelaide?!
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

Ho Really

#15 Post by Ho Really » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:54 pm

dbl96 wrote:The Quarryface at stonyfell in the second creek valley under greenhill road, is visable to much of inner adelaide even the western suburbs. How about buying out the quarry, and carving a massive face into the cliffface a la Mt Rushmore.
Great South Aussies?
Maximus wrote:Also, how about we tear down the three ugly (IMHO) TV towers near Mt Lofty and replace them with one new tower that's actually at the summit, a la Telstra Tower in Canberra: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telstra_Tower (but a more modern design). This would give a fantastic view of both the hills and the city, and likely be a very popular tourist destination. It would also serve as a more effective fire lookout than the rickety-looking fire-spotting tower that's currently in service.
Why not? I remember seeing it when visiting Canberra in the late eighties. Maybe a little dated in design now (as Maximus pointed out) but a good idea if modernised. You'd also be able to see more of Yorke Peninsula and maybe even Kangaroo Island on a clear day.

Or we could do a Christ Redeemer like Rio de Janeiro. It recently got struck by lightning damaging the thumb and middle finger on the right hand.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.