BIG ideas for a little city

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
pushbutton
Legendary Member!

BIG ideas for a little city

#1 Post by pushbutton » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:23 pm

Not that there's anything wrong with the "Little ideas for a big city" thread, but I would like to see some really BIG, grand, visionary ideas for how people on here would like to see Adelaide develop long-term (say over the next 20 years).

Adelaide may not be one of the worlds biggest cities, but it's big enough to be taken seriously and it is getting bigger and will continue to do so.

So what do you think Adelaide and its suburbs should look like overall in 20 years time to enusre it further improves as a great place to live, visit, and do business?

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: BIG ideas for a little city

#2 Post by Will » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:01 pm

pushbutton wrote:Not that there's anything wrong with the "Little ideas for a big city" thread, but I would like to see some really BIG, grand, visionary ideas for how people on here would like to see Adelaide develop long-term (say over the next 20 years).

Adelaide may not be one of the worlds biggest cities, but it's big enough to be taken seriously and it is getting bigger and will continue to do so.

So what do you think Adelaide and its suburbs should look like overall in 20 years time to enusre it further improves as a great place to live, visit, and do business?
Maybe you should start up a separate thread for the 'big' ideas and visions, because this thread is not the adequate place for it.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#3 Post by mattblack » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:55 pm

Gondola from the foothills to Mt Lofty via Eagle on the hill. Wont be stupidly expensive.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#4 Post by pushbutton » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:45 pm

Will wrote:
pushbutton wrote:Not that there's anything wrong with the "Little ideas for a big city" thread, but I would like to see some really BIG, grand, visionary ideas for how people on here would like to see Adelaide develop long-term (say over the next 20 years).

Maybe you should start up a separate thread for the 'big' ideas and visions, because this thread is not the adequate place for it.
Sorry, I thought that is exactly what I did! This is the separate thread that I have just started!

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by Will » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:38 pm

pushbutton wrote:
Will wrote:

Sorry, I thought that is exactly what I did! This is the separate thread that I have just started!
Sorry mate, I remember reading an article once in which it stated that when we read we pretty much only read a few words and deduce the rest. My initial response pretty much confirms this, as I could ahve sworn, that this was the thread that AtD had created; "little ideas for a big city".

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#6 Post by pushbutton » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:04 pm

No worries, it happens to us all! Anyway do you have any BIG ideas for a little city?

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#7 Post by pushbutton » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:06 pm

mattblack wrote:Gondola from the foothills to Mt Lofty via Eagle on the hill. Wont be stupidly expensive.
I like that idea a lot! It should be followed up with things to see and do at the top and bottom of the ride and perhaps accommodation on one side too to give people more incentive to take the ride.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#8 Post by Aidan » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:29 pm

I'm a bit puzzled as to the purpose of this thread. If an idea is big, surely it deserves its own thread - indeed that's what the Visions & Suggestions section is for! Are you after medium sized ideas?

And a little city? Physically Adelaide is already big and growing! Do you mean the City of Adelaide?

As for the Mount Lofty Gondola idea, that reminds me of a plan rejected about twenty years ago.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

yousername
High Rise Poster!

#9 Post by yousername » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:30 pm

Aidan wrote:I'm a bit puzzled as to the purpose of this thread. If an idea is big, surely it deserves its own thread - indeed that's what the Visions & Suggestions section is for! Are you after medium sized ideas?

And a little city? Physically Adelaide is already big and growing! Do you mean the City of Adelaide?

As for the Mount Lofty Gondola idea, that reminds me of a plan rejected about twenty years ago.
I think there's a need for this thread. Its for ideas you had in the middle of the night, or ones that will never happen, or ones you cant be arsed to properly explain or draw maps of.

My idea: making more of the CBD pedestrian to increase people coming into the city, and decrease cars
Will wrote:Victorians can get f#$%^&*!

rhino

#10 Post by rhino » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:52 pm

My big ideas for our "little" city:

More trees along roads, makes them more attractive and more carbon-neutral.

More and larger neighbourhood shopping precincts, ones that you can walk to from your home. Every second suburb should have one. Maybe every suburb.

A continuous foot/cycle/rollerblade/scooter/pram-friendly path along our beaches, from Northhaven to Sellicks Beach.

Reservoirs that the public can utilise for sailing, canoeing, etc.

Just for starters.
cheers,
Rhino

Nathan

#11 Post by Nathan » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:26 pm

rhino wrote:My big ideas for our "little" city:
A continuous foot/cycle/rollerblade/scooter/pram-friendly path along our beaches, from Northhaven to Sellicks Beach.
http://publicspace.planning.sa.gov.au/g ... coast-park
:wink:

Nort

#12 Post by Nort » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:46 am

rhino wrote: More and larger neighbourhood shopping precincts, ones that you can walk to from your home. Every second suburb should have one. Maybe every suburb.
The tricky thing with these is doing it, and making it work.

Elizabeth was designed with each of the sub-suburbs having their own little central shopping precinct, and they all have died slow and painful deaths because people prefer to go down to the major shopping centers. It only seems to work when you also have high density housing in the area.

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#13 Post by Prince George » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:23 am

Nort wrote:Elizabeth was designed with each of the sub-suburbs having their own little central shopping precinct, and they all have died slow and painful deaths because people prefer to go down to the major shopping centers. It only seems to work when you also have high density housing in the area.
Density does help, largely because it puts a greater population in walking distance. I think that the problem for the smaller centres like Elizabeth Park or Elizabeth East is that the majority of people that would shop there would drive to them - being a little too far for them to consider walking there. And once they've gotten in the car, they might as well go to the larger place that's going to offer more options and lower prices. We have relatives in the area that are likely as not to shop at Munno Parra.

It's a similar situation where we live, by Winston Avenue, which has a modest collection of shops - including a strangely large number of hairdressers (three within walking distance, more further along) - but it lost a green-grocer, a GP, and the home-brew shop in the time we were away. All of the businesses must run pretty close to the bone, because the size of the market for them is going to be squeezed by being between South Rd and Goodwood Rd. I'd like to see a small upzone along there to allow some "two above, shop below" type developments, putting some more people right on the street, and I expect many other neighbourhoods could do with the same.

The really tricky part is convincing people that this is a superior idea to releasing land 50km outside the city.

Nort

#14 Post by Nort » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:06 pm

Prince George wrote:
Nort wrote: It's a similar situation where we live, by Winston Avenue, which has a modest collection of shops - including a strangely large number of hairdressers (three within walking distance, more further along) - but it lost a green-grocer, a GP, and the home-brew shop in the time we were away. All of the businesses must run pretty close to the bone, because the size of the market for them is going to be squeezed by being between South Rd and Goodwood Rd. I'd like to see a small upzone along there to allow some "two above, shop below" type developments, putting some more people right on the street, and I expect many other neighbourhoods could do with the same.

The really tricky part is convincing people that this is a superior idea to releasing land 50km outside the city.
The "apartments above, shops below" setup is how the area of Mawson Lakes I am in seems to be developing, and I quite like it and am interested to see how well it works once the area is built up and has enough population to support a wider variety of businesses.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#15 Post by pushbutton » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:37 pm

rhino wrote:My big ideas for our "little" city:

More trees along roads, makes them more attractive and more carbon-neutral.

More and larger neighbourhood shopping precincts, ones that you can walk to from your home. Every second suburb should have one. Maybe every suburb.

Reservoirs that the public can utilise for sailing, canoeing, etc.

Just for starters.
I thought every suburb already did have shops within walking distance?