Tram Extention - Nth Adelaide/Tourist/Sights Loop

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
olliepee
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Tram Extention - Nth Adelaide/Tourist/Sights Loop

#1 Post by olliepee » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:42 am

Hi all, I'd love a North Adelaide tram but personally think it would be stupid to just run it down King William St. So here's my vision for a 'Tourist Loop'!

Starting from City West stop down Montefiore Rd.

Stop 1 - Torrens Lake.

over Torrens River

Stop 2 - Adelaide Oval West

Continue up Montefiore Rd

Stop 3 - Montefiore Hill

around Palmer gardens

Stop 4 - O'Connell Street

around Brougham Pl

Stop 5 - Melbourne Street

down Frome Rd and over Torrents

Stop 6 - Adelaide Zoo

Continue down Frome Rd and turn to run besides the Botanic Garden around onto North Terrace

Stop 7 - Botanic Garden / East Terrace

onto North Terrace

Stop 8 - University of South Australia

Stop 9 - Art Gallery and Museum

Join tram back at King William St

fabricator
Legendary Member!

Re: Tram Extention - Nth Adelaide/Tourist/Sights Loop

#2 Post by fabricator » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:53 am

Hahahah :hilarious:
Just how to you plan to get trams from North Terrace to Morphett Street/Montefiore Road ?
or didn't you notice that big bridge where the two roads intersect ?

Plus your going to get in trouble for digging up the edge of the Botanical Gardens.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3 Post by Nort » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:53 am

This seems like the type of service that would be nice to run a couple of times a day (say at 10am and 2pm daily) if you already had an extensive tram network and were just utilizing part of it for a tourist service.

With the massive amount of money this would cost to build from scratch though it would not get frequented anywhere near enough as apart from the North terrace extension it would be relatively useless to most Adelaide residents.

olliepee
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#4 Post by olliepee » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:41 am

Forgive me for thinking this is the Vision thread :P

There are lots of ideas for the tram that make sense.. this is supposed to be a 'what if'.

E.g.

If the RAH gets demolished, what could be built there to justify a tram stop in the middle?
How could the tram pass through the botanic gardens in an interesting way that add's to the garden and the east end's quirkyness?
Could more be done in terms of day/night events at Montefoire Hill?
With a Torren's Lake stop could this eventually act like a 'darling harbour' stop?
I personally think a tram that goes from Rundle St to Nth Adelaide would be very popular.

No, this isn't going to be your average commuter tram, but when Adelaides CBD holds 100,000 maybe :-)
Just how to you plan to get trams from North Terrace to Morphett Street/Montefiore Road ?
Maybe instead it doesn't go from City west but is part of a larger city loop? coming down from gouger street, light square, over hindley st and over the bridge that way?

olliepee
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#5 Post by olliepee » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:48 am

Plus your going to get in trouble for digging up the edge of the Botanical Gardens.
I was thinking you could run it where the RAH is when it gets Demo'ed. Put it in a grass covered tunnel? Take it underground? :D

I've got an idea for a bit of the RAH site, maybe Ill put it in another thread.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by monotonehell » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:51 pm

10/10 for out of the box thinking. It's certainly a route to consider, but after consideration it falls short on a number of points. Your chosen route goes near to, but stops a long walk away from where most tourists might wish to go. North Tce is well placed, as is the Zoo, but after that, you stop at the "boring" end of Melbourne street, the "boring end" of O'Connel Street, there's not much at the top of Montefore Hill apart from Light's Vision, and the Adelaide Oval stop is a long walk to the entrance.

(Also you get minus 4 points for putting an apostrophe in the verb "adds" ;) )
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.