Docklands style development at Keswick

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Docklands style development at Keswick

#1 Post by Aidan » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:25 pm

Previously I've mentioned that think there should be more City style development at Keswick, but I think the idea really deserves a tread of its own. London, Dublin and Melbourne have had spectacular successes with their docklands redevelopments, but many other cities have done it as well. Though Adelaide doesn't have old docks in a suitable location, there is plenty of land from old railyards and the barracks.

Consider the advantages:
• Our interstate rail terminal would be in a major commercial development instead of the middle of nowhere.
• Though it is near the airport, it is not under the flightpath. So there is some potential for tall buildings, and there is also scope to extend the development towards the airport.
• There is already some office development so it probably wouldn't be hard to attract more.
• The showgrounds, being right next door to the biggest office development outside the City, would become a much more attractive venue for conferences.

The main thing needed to achieve this is better public transport to Keswick. Like the City itself, the thing that's most needed is a subway - but until then, there are a lot of improvements that could be made by improving the existing Keswick station and extending to Keswick some of the bus routes that currently terminate in the City.

What does everyone else think of this idea?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Omicron

Re: Docklands style development at Keswick

#2 Post by Omicron » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:06 pm

With respect to the barracks, if the delightful old buildings on-site were able to be cleverly incorporated into any sort of new development, I think I'd be all in favour. It's such a fantastic location, and a little bit of historical preservation and enhancement would do wonders for the character of the area. And perhaps private development beside the western parklands could act as the catalyst for a proper clean-up of the area - no more people in tents, no more half-dead garden beds, and no more barren expanses of dirt masquerading as lawns. Go for it, I say.

Mind you, with Adelaide Airport's (lack of) height guidelines as they are, I wouldn't put all my eggs in the 'it's not under a flight-path so we can build higher more easily' basket.

PeFe

#3 Post by PeFe » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:20 pm

Are you serious? Keswick has nothing in common with either Docklands in Melbourne or London....Dublin I dont know. Keswick feels some random rundowm inner city area in a US city- I dont see a Docklands style future.

Aidan

#4 Post by Aidan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:17 am

PeFe wrote:Are you serious? Keswick has nothing in common with either Docklands in Melbourne or London....Dublin I dont know. Keswick feels some random rundowm inner city area in a US city- I dont see a Docklands style future.
What it has in common is a large area of underused land near the City. And though it may feel to you like a random rundowm inner city area in a US city, there's one big difference: it's not a high crime area.

But it is a rundown area - that's the point! It needs redevelopment. If you don't think Docklands style development is the best way of doing it, what would you prefer?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Nort

#5 Post by Nort » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:52 am

Aidan wrote:
PeFe wrote:Are you serious? Keswick has nothing in common with either Docklands in Melbourne or London....Dublin I dont know. Keswick feels some random rundowm inner city area in a US city- I dont see a Docklands style future.
What it has in common is a large area of underused land near the City. And though it may feel to you like a random rundowm inner city area in a US city, there's one big difference: it's not a high crime area.

But it is a rundown area - that's the point! It needs redevelopment. If you don't think Docklands style development is the best way of doing it, what would you prefer?
What exactly do you describe as a "docklands style development"?

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Wayno » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:51 pm

The Unley Council are working an *urban design* concept for the whole Showgrounds & Keswick Barracks area - just in case the DoD ever decides to sell. More details here ==> http://www.unley.sa.gov.au/webdata/reso ... y_2009.pdf
showgrounds-and-barracks.JPG
showgrounds-and-barracks.JPG (123.99 KiB) Viewed 3761 times
The above info originally posted here ==> http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... 561#p71571
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#7 Post by Prince George » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:46 pm

The thing about the barracks that I think is hard to solve is that it has such hard boundaries: rail lines, Le Cornu, Anzac Highway. What would we do to stitch it into the fabric of the city, to avoid having it be just an isolated enclave tacked onto the south-west of the parklands?

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by Wayno » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:59 pm

Prince George wrote:The thing about the barracks that I think is hard to solve is that it has such hard boundaries: rail lines, Le Cornu, Anzac Highway. What would we do to stitch it into the fabric of the city, to avoid having it be just an isolated enclave tacked onto the south-west of the parklands?
I think the Unley council is also eyeing the Le Cornu site and adjacent light industrial streets in their *grand urban design plans*. That would avoid part of the isolated enclave issue.

The Unley Council has also stated it's intent to increase density/height in the area immediately north/south of the Showgrounds. If i remember rightly they are planning for residential building heights up to ~9 storeys (north of showgrounds) and ~5 storeys (south of showgrounds).
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#9 Post by Prince George » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:06 pm

Wayno wrote:
Prince George wrote:The thing about the barracks that I think is hard to solve is that it has such hard boundaries: rail lines, Le Cornu, Anzac Highway. What would we do to stitch it into the fabric of the city, to avoid having it be just an isolated enclave tacked onto the south-west of the parklands?
I think the Unley council is also eyeing the Le Cornu site and adjacent light industrial streets in their *grand urban design plans*. That would avoid part of the isolated enclave issue.

The Unley Council has also stated it's intent to increase density/height in the area immediately north/south of the Showgrounds. If i remember rightly they are planning for residential building heights up to ~9 storeys (north of showgrounds) and ~5 storeys (south of showgrounds).
That sounds cool on the one hand, but confusing on the other. Weren't they opposing the 4 storeys for the Goodwood Rd development just east of the showground?

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by Wayno » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:20 pm

Prince George wrote:That sounds cool on the one hand, but confusing on the other. Weren't they opposing the 4 storeys for the Goodwood Rd development just east of the showground?
Probably because East is not North or South ;-) If they go East then they'll be hitting into suburban heartland - lots of complaints from residents i'd imagine...

Aidan

#11 Post by Aidan » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:47 pm

Prince George wrote:The thing about the barracks that I think is hard to solve is that it has such hard boundaries: rail lines, Le Cornu, Anzac Highway.
On the contrary, Anzac Highway is a fairly soft boundary. It's just a road, and it's not particularly difficult to cross because the lights break the traffic up into platoons. And on the other side there's already some office development.
Le Cornu is not a problem. It's likely to move when the money's right. Until then, it's much better to have Le Cornu than a space where Le Cornu was - surely you haven't forgotten that already?
The railway is more substantial, but constructing a bridge or two shouldn't be a problem, and there's the opportunity to build above the railway if and when demand justifies it.
What would we do to stitch it into the fabric of the city, to avoid having it be just an isolated enclave tacked onto the south-west of the parklands?
I explained at the start - we need a subway! And meanwhile we can extend some of the bus routes that currently terminate in the City. But your claim about the hard boundaries suggests to me that you're more concerned with how it links to the suburbs. If so, don't worry - the process can almost be regarded as automatic! This sort of development has already occurred along Greenhill and Richmond Roads, and unless there are zoning regulations in the way, it will happen along Anzac Highway too.

Straze
High Rise Poster!

#12 Post by Straze » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:36 pm

Good idea Aidan, some commercial development in the Keswick would be ideal because the area is close to the city, interstate railway terminal, public transport and sports facilities such as Richmond Oval, ETSA Park and Santos Stadium. If we can encourage the Basketball SA, the NBL and WNBL to move the basketball stadium to the Mile End or Keswick it will benefit the teams by attracting more people to the NBL and WNBL games. By transforming the Keswick and Mile End area into a sports and commercial hub that South Australians can be proud of.
Do yourself a favour and come to South Australia.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#13 Post by Vee » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:40 pm

Aidan wrote:... think there should be more City style development at Keswick...

What does everyone else think of this idea?
I like your thinking, Aidan and also agree with Omicron re integrating (some of) the best 'delightful old (Defence Dept) buildings' on-site into any planning.

Keswick is a fabulous near-city location, as outlined in this thread. The Barracks, Showgrounds, railway corridor and adjacent industry and landholdings provide an opportunity for innovative planners to revitalise this urban gem.

The mooted higher residential densities, as mentioned by Wayno, are sorely needed in an expanding (sprawling) city and give impetus to improved public transport connections and commercial services.

Straze's commercial development and sports park idea has merit. I'm a big fan of Basketball but hate the location of the Dome (worse location than Apollo) which is not very accessible / poorly served by public transport. The NBL fans are a loyal bunch but Basketball has been in the doldrums of late and money has been tight. Any new stadium would need to be multi-purpose but this location would fit well with other sports facilities in the vicinity.
Any chance of a centre of excellence / sports institute with an educational institution being co-located on the site?

arki
High Rise Poster!

#14 Post by arki » Wed May 05, 2010 3:25 pm

I don't think I can take anyone seriously who keeps proclaiming 'we need a subway!'...and to Keswick?

Aidan

#15 Post by Aidan » Wed May 05, 2010 5:05 pm

arki wrote:I don't think I can take anyone seriously who keeps proclaiming 'we need a subway!'...and to Keswick?
So you think it's OK that our roads get ever more congested while our trains only take passengers as far as the edge of our CBD?

Do you think Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth made the wrong decision when they extended their railways underground to nearer where the passengers wanted to go, enabling the introduction of cross city services? Or do you just think we should delay building our first underground cross City line until after Brisbane and Melbourne build their second and Sydney its fourth?

It would be silly to build a railway under the City yet still have all the Noarlunga trains go right past the City before accessing it. Much more sensible would be to extend the subway to Keswick so they can access it from the south end. Better still would be to extend it to the Woodlands Park / Edwardstown area to enable the fast trains to save a lot of time and avoid several level crossings, but a project like that is best done in stages, and Keswick is a sensible portal location for stage 1.