Demolition of Glen Osmond Rd eyesore

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

Demolition of Glen Osmond Rd eyesore

#1 Post by Splashmo » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:05 am

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but I notice with some interest that they're tearing down the rundown and abandoned shops on the corner of Glen Osmond and Fullarton Roads (opposite the Arkaba). I'm guessing it's all going to be sold? Hopefully we get something nicer than a Hungry Jack's, which wanted the site that's a little further down.

Some of the shops look as though they'd almost be part of the Foodland shopping centre land. I wonder if that will get a much-needed freshening up like the Arkaba and Burnside VIllage?

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Demolition of Glen Osmond Rd eyesore

#2 Post by AG » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:18 am

I'm pretty sure this relates to the new shopping complex that was planned next door to the Glenside redevelopment (whether it was directly part of it or not I am not sure): http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... f=8&t=1038

flavze
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by flavze » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:43 am

would like a hungry jacks tbh, every road home from the city has a McDonalds on it but HJ's tastes so much better.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#4 Post by peas_and_corn » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:58 am

flavze wrote:would like a hungry jacks tbh, every road home from the city has a McDonalds on it but HJ's tastes so much better.
Plus the bottomless postmix! Why do people keep forgetting this?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5 Post by crawf » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:25 pm

It's funny that Hungry Jacks was blocked by the council, when there is a KFC just a few blocks away.

Anything would better than the current eyesore.

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#6 Post by Splashmo » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:09 pm

crawf wrote:It's funny that Hungry Jacks was blocked by the council, when there is a KFC just a few blocks away.
I think the strong opposition came from the school opposite.

You're right though, there is a McDonald's and a KFC just up or down the road from the site.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#7 Post by Vee » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:23 pm

Splashmo wrote:
crawf wrote:It's funny that Hungry Jacks was blocked by the council, when there is a KFC just a few blocks away.
I think the strong opposition came from the school opposite.
You're right though, there is a McDonald's and a KFC just up or down the road from the site.
This application was for development in a business zone on a main road (cnr Glen Osmond and Markey St.) on the site of a secondhand furniture/antiques and run down shop/shed. From my recollection, local residents objected on grounds of noise, traffic, odour, litter and reduction in property prices, with increased obesity of local primary school children added into the mix of reasons why this development should not go ahead.
Since then, not much appears to have happened on this site.

Meanwhile, the row of shabby, run-down shops on Glen Osmond Rd opposite tha Arkaba is hopefully being demolished as quickly as possible to make way for the Glenside redevelopment. This should make way for the much needed redevelopment of the Frewville Shopping Centre and an opportunity for some improvements to the intersection.
(Does anyone know of plans to improve the Glen Osmond Rd /Fullarton Rd intersection as part of the redevelopment?)

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#8 Post by rhino » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:16 am

Hopefully those shops were bought by DTEI and the space will one day become part of a widened Glen Osmond Road with a tram running down the middle of it.
cheers,
Rhino

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#9 Post by Splashmo » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:21 pm

rhino wrote:Hopefully those shops were bought by DTEI and the space will one day become part of a widened Glen Osmond Road with a tram running down the middle of it.
Impossible. How could Glen Osmond Road ever be widened? There are far too many businesses that would have to have their land acquired.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#10 Post by rhino » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:34 pm

The same way Portrush Road got widened. The same way South Road got widened at Edwardstown. The same way Henley Beach Road gort widened at Torrensville and Mile End.

DTEI actually owns a lot of properties. When properties at strategic locations came up for sale, the old Highways Department used to buy them and rent them out until they needed the land to enlarge the intersection or whatever. I assume DTEI is still doing that.
cheers,
Rhino

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#11 Post by Splashmo » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:37 pm

Fair enough, but unlike front yards on Portrush Road, I can't imagine all these small office buildings that front up to Glen Osmond Road being lopped off at the front.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by Vee » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:22 pm

Splashmo wrote:
rhino wrote:Hopefully those shops were bought by DTEI and the space will one day become part of a widened Glen Osmond Road with a tram running down the middle of it.
Impossible. How could Glen Osmond Road ever be widened? There are far too many businesses that would have to have their land acquired.
Glen Osmond Road is a major transport artery connecting the city to the Hills freeway through the ever expanding populace in the Adelaide Hills and beyond. Can't see Rhino's wish for a tram down the centre coming to fruition, but widening looks a possibility in the future, starting with this demolition and continuing in sections along the Eastwood boundary.

The afternoon 'clearway' in the vicinity of the 'fashion seconds' stores is frequently ignored (and poorly policed) and contributes to traffic congestion and, in turn, less efficient bus services to the hills community.

Further along Glen Osmond Rd, the 'dogleg intersection' with Conyngham St/Bevington Rd needs to be a high priority for a reshaped intersection, with an offset turning lane (for city-bound GO traffic making a right turn into these two streets). DTEI take note. It is a major safety issue, especially with so many large semi-trailers using this road.

I hope the current demolition paves the way for even more improvements to the Glen Osmond Rd thoroughfare.

baytram366
High Rise Poster!

#13 Post by baytram366 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:25 am

It does amaze me as to how thin this road is for such a major connection. I often go out of my way and drive up Cross Road to get to the freeway to aviod Glen Osmond. What do you do if there are cars parked in the left lane and heaps of cars are turning right and waiting for the oncoming traffic to clear? Something does need to be done to make it wider but with so many businesses right up against the road, that is a lot of properties that would need to purchased and then demolished which I don't see happening anytime soon...
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by AtD » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:34 pm

Wouldn't it be far cheaper and easier to ban right turns and make people take three lefts?

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#15 Post by UrbanSG » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:28 am

I'm guessing this is the same area being discussed, article from the ABC news website:
Deal signed for Glenside land sale
Posted June 23, 2010 08:07:00

A contract has been signed with the Chapley Retail Group for it to buy just over two hectares of Glenside Hospital land in Adelaide.

The South Australian Transport Department, in turn, will buy for road widening a small area of land along Glen Osmond Road already owned by the Chapley Group.

SA Health Minister John Hill says the contract will provide $10.6 million, which will be spent on the new 129-bed Glenside Hospital.