Overseas inspired ideas

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
victorious80
Gold-Member ;)

Overseas inspired ideas

#1 Post by victorious80 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:46 pm

Here are a few photos of some ideas that caught my eye whilst overseas recently.

Trams in Milan - a blend of old and new. I like how the trams have priority over other traffic, and how they dominate the inner city streets.
100_2648.JPG
100_2648.JPG (632.67 KiB) Viewed 3698 times
A square in Paris - very simple idea - an enclosed basketball area and an enclosed soccer area. There were always kids there while we were around. Possibility for Whitmore or Light square - Light because there is a TAFE nearby, or Whitmore due to more residential areas?
100_2223.JPG
100_2223.JPG (456.85 KiB) Viewed 3698 times
Johannesburg - dedicated bus lanes in city centre (note the van is not meant to be in the lane!). Possibility for something like this for the O'Bahn lane?
100_4942.JPG
100_4942.JPG (390.23 KiB) Viewed 3698 times

yousername
High Rise Poster!

Re: Overseas inspired ideas

#2 Post by yousername » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:01 pm

New York

Tall Buildings and density
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dmguz/2173565583/sizes/l/
Will wrote:Victorians can get f#$%^&*!

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3 Post by Nathan » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:31 am

victorious80 wrote:A square in Paris - very simple idea - an enclosed basketball area and an enclosed soccer area. There were always kids there while we were around. Possibility for Whitmore or Light square - Light because there is a TAFE nearby, or Whitmore due to more residential areas?
I believe there is already a basketball (half)court in Whitmore square. Not enclosed though.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by Wayno » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:53 am

Nathan wrote:
victorious80 wrote:A square in Paris - very simple idea - an enclosed basketball area and an enclosed soccer area. There were always kids there while we were around. Possibility for Whitmore or Light square - Light because there is a TAFE nearby, or Whitmore due to more residential areas?
I believe there is already a basketball (half)court in Whitmore square. Not enclosed though.
plenty in the southern parklands that get regular use, probably too far away for city workers to use at lunchtime though...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

fkj
Gold-Member ;)

#5 Post by fkj » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:43 pm

Wayno wrote:
Nathan wrote:
plenty in the southern parklands that get regular use, probably too far away for city workers to use at lunchtime though...
then again, how many city workers are gonna run down to a basketball court at lunch time

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by AtD » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:03 pm

^^ Lunch time office sports are surprisingly common, especially if showers are available.

Omicron

#7 Post by Omicron » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:48 pm

When do they eat lunch, then?

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by monotonehell » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:17 am

Omicron wrote:When do they eat lunch, then?
I've often wondered about this, as I've seen the large number of workers who go play volleyball at CityBeach (Pirie/Flinders). They must have something like a 2 hour lunch break to get there, play ball, shower, get back, let alone eat something.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

fkj
Gold-Member ;)

#9 Post by fkj » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:20 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Omicron wrote:When do they eat lunch, then?
I've often wondered about this, as I've seen the large number of workers who go play volleyball at CityBeach (Pirie/Flinders). They must have something like a 2 hour lunch break to get there, play ball, shower, get back, let alone eat something.
yeah, this was exactly what i was thinking, how on earth do you have time in a regular hour long lunch break, to go find somewhere to get some food, wait for your food, eat it, play basketball/volleyball/whatever you fancy, shower/change and get back to the office?

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by AtD » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:30 am

Easy. Work for the public service.

Waewick

#11 Post by Waewick » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:09 pm

AtD wrote:Easy. Work for the public service.
not any more :lol:

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#12 Post by monotonehell » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:00 pm

AtD wrote:Easy. Work for the public service.
Actually now that I think about it, it was only after I left the public service that I started getting more than 30minutes for lunch.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

chrism4549
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#13 Post by chrism4549 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:31 am

In my old hometown outside of Boston they built a nice mixed-use biotech complex with funds from the local univerisity and the local government. The concept is to integrate the two - the university and local area will combine to create a number of small startups that will grow and this facility can serve as an incubator for that environment. There looks to be about 10 companies or so in there judging by the site.

http://www.gatewayparkworcester.com/index.html

I really love these kinds of ideas. They paid dividends with computers and IT in the 70's and 80's in California. I hope someone is doing something with clean energy somewhere this decade and not just biotech.

I believe Adelaide has something like this wine, right?

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by Will » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:34 pm

chrism4549 wrote:Image

In my old hometown outside of Boston they built a nice mixed-use biotech complex with funds from the local univerisity and the local government. The concept is to integrate the two - the university and local area will combine to create a number of small startups that will grow and this facility can serve as an incubator for that environment. There looks to be about 10 companies or so in there judging by the site.

http://www.gatewayparkworcester.com/index.html

I really love these kinds of ideas. They paid dividends with computers and IT in the 70's and 80's in California. I hope someone is doing something with clean energy somewhere this decade and not just biotech.

I believe Adelaide has something like this wine, right?
Yes, it's a good idea. In fact SA does have a bioscience incubator:

http://www.bioinnovationsa.com.au/incubator.htm