Airport transport access (split from news thread)

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
tanner1987
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Airport transport access (split from news thread)

#46 Post by tanner1987 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:25 pm

The Gawler line is actually quite close to Edinburgh, ~1.3km from the front gate. In fact Edinburgh still has the old railway platform from when it had it's own branch line. As you eluded to however, I was meaning the interstate standard gauge line, as any civilian terminal would be to the north of the runways. This line is right on the boundary. :D To compare, Adelaide airports's closest rail is over 2km to the boundary and over 3km to the terminal, with significant hurdles in the way.

To clarify, I'd rather sit on a fast train than a couple of busses to the airport, and not have aircraft flying over the city; even if it's a bit further.

10, 20 yrs...50yrs, whatever, it's not the point. The point is that this would be my ideal plan for the distant future. btw Melbourne also has Essendon.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#47 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:11 am

tanner1987 wrote:The Gawler line is actually quite close to Edinburgh, ~1.3km from the front gate. In fact Edinburgh still has the old railway platform from when it had it's own branch line. As you eluded to however, I was meaning the interstate standard gauge line, as any civilian terminal would be to the north of the runways. This line is right on the boundary. :D To compare, Adelaide airports's closest rail is over 2km to the boundary and over 3km to the terminal, with significant hurdles in the way.

To clarify, I'd rather sit on a fast train than a couple of busses to the airport, and not have aircraft flying over the city; even if it's a bit further.

10, 20 yrs...50yrs, whatever, it's not the point. The point is that this would be my ideal plan for the distant future. btw Melbourne also has Essendon.
And Moorabbin Airport.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

tanner1987
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#48 Post by tanner1987 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:07 pm

Aidan wrote:A 30 minute journey time by train (optimistic when you factor in waiting time) is still much slower than the time it takes to get to the existing airport.
Is Adelaide Airport somehow special in that it doesn't have waiting time for public transport?

I just compared the travel times using public transport from Adelaide Railway Station to both Adelaide Airport and Elizabeth Railway Station(A similar distance to a train that would serve Edinburgh), and I found the results quite surprising:

These are the quickest trips for both destinations:
Adelaide Railway Station - Adelaide Airport: 28mins
Adelaide Railway Station - Elizabeth: 32mins

So Elizabeth is only 4 mins slower. Now I realise that comparing driving/taxi would favour Adelaide Airport, but nonethelessI found this interesting. The Elizabeth trip is based on an average train speed of only 48km/h using the current slow diesel trains. We currently have trains in Aus that do 160km/h and Perth metropolitan trains do up to 130km/h; so a trip from Edinburgh could easily be done in less time than Adelaide Airport using public transport.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#49 Post by Norman » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:38 am

That's a silly comparison, if we build a subway to Adelaide Airport it will only take 10 minutes or less to get there...

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#50 Post by Maximus » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:47 pm

This was in the Sunday Mail on the weekend (sorry, no link). It could probably go in any one of a number of threads, but there's some relevance here (as bolded and underlined).
Sunday Mail Adelaide, Adelaide
10 Jun 2012
Supplements, page 6

The new CBD: Connected, built up and digitalised

THE buildings may be taller and our city streets busier by 2062, but innovative technology will be the greatest driver of change in Adelaide over the next 50 years.

The CBD skyline will be altered with new apartment towers set to sprout in city streets across the coming decades following the recent raising of height restrictions. And if our plethora of present masterplans progress ahead as planned, the CBD will no longer be vacant on weeknights but grow to become a 24-hour vibrant city as locals and visitors make the most of a redeveloped Rundle Mall, a bustling Victoria Square, a 50,000-capacity sport stadium and a revamped West End precinct.

According to University of Technology research principal Peter Rickwood, rapid wireless internet throughout the entire city, including the parklands, will also see more people studying and working in the CBD, even using "virtual office hubs". With the National Broadband Network developments, it's possible you could see virtual office facilities, where you commute to your local hub if you can't get into the city office that day and have basically video conferencing facilities on steroids," Dr Rickwood said. "You'll get hologram images of the other people at your office in the city and even be able to do things like draw on a communal whiteboard together."

If the State Government's 30-year plan holds up, the population of greater Adelaide will have grown by at least 560,000, with 258,000 more homes. At least 60 per cent of the new housing will be built within 400m of shops and 800m of public transport, in what has been pitched as "transport-oriented development". The population target for the CBD itself is 55,000 by 2040. The number of city dwellers peaked at 43,000 in 1915 and is now about 20,000.

The target is one Lord Mayor Stephen Yarwood believes we'll have easily achieved by 2062. An urban planner and futurist, Mr Yarwood expects the city's residential population to boom as Adelaide begins to offer quality high-rise city apartments with "sweeping views from the hills to our beaches".

"Within 50 years, you would certainly expect a different looking skyline with the developments in engineering, changed flight paths and higher buildings," he said. "We'll have an underground rail system servicing North Tce, Victoria Square and all four of the terraces and connecting Noarlunga to Elizabeth in a high-speed 30-minute fast train. "You'll be able to check in for a flight at Vic Square, board an underground fast-train and be at the airport within 10 minutes."

Mr Yarwood says Adelaide will also be a leader in implementing technological developments. "Our entire public space, be it streets, parks or public transport, will have fully immersive high-speed wireless," he said. "Technologies like augmented reality (where graphics and other digital information is laid over what the eye can see, using projectors, hand-held devices or special head-gear) will assist in directions, history and information on the city."

Our most sought-after city real estate will be trendy apartments built along the edge of the southern side of the River Torrens, capitalising on the vibrancy created by a revamped Riverbank precinct and Adelaide Oval, according to the Urban Development Institute of Australia's South Australian executive director Terry Walsh. "We have a jewel on that southern side of the Torrens, just sitting there with dead water rats," he said. "I see opportunities to create fantastic apartment living and coffee shop precincts from further east of the zoo right through to Thebarton."

Mr Walsh said innovative developments taking off in Europe now, including contemporary shopping centres with modern housing on the second level and lawn and gardens on the roof, could transform Adelaide over the next 50 years. The quirky developments could also include double-stacked two-storey townhouses and would help achieve urban infill by attracting young professionals and families to inner-city living, he said.

Mr Walsh also predicted Adelaide would have a second airport by 2062. "I don't think it will be Parafield, but the rate of development in our northern area will mean we'll have to have another gateway airport in the north," he said.

Experts say cars will still be a common mode of transport but not the petrol-guzzling machines we drive today. Predominantly electric, they'll be plugged in at night and charged through a smart power grid using local renewable energy. "Driver-less" taxis, which will travel automatically across Adelaide using cameras and sensors, will ferry commuters from their homes to transport hubs with high-speed underground trains and better developed bus networks. Trams will loop the CBD and extend into our character-laden inner-city suburbs, including Prospect, Unley and Norwood, and an explosion in popularity of electric bikes could force "bike only hours on select city streets during peak hour.

Vast slabs of bitumen roads such as West Tce will shrink to make way for dedicated bikeways, wider and greener footpaths, more outdoor dining and an increased cafe culture. If ideas being submitted to the State Government and City Council's 5000+ initiative is anything to go by, Adelaide could also have a congestion charge or toll for the city and Hindley and Rundle St will have become pedestrian malls.

In 50 years, Adelaide will have become "a 24-hour city like New York but without the massive high rises", the Property Council of Australia's SA executive director Nathan Paine predicts. "Currently our activation in the city is running eight to 10 hours on an average day," he said. "I think we'll hit 15 to 18 hours' activation in the next five to 10 years and in 50 years' time we will be the place where you can live a 24-hour lifestyle. In the initial instance, the activation is going to be around small bars, more outdoor dining and entrepreneurial uses of spaces. We can extend the city pretty quickly to 18-hours activation with that. Then with population grown, more businesses here, changes like high-speed broadband and more spaces people want to use and feel safe in, there's no doubt in my mind (24-hour activation) will all happen over time in the next 50 years."

Mr Paine said Adelaide needed to be a leader in embracing technological advances to shape our city over the next 50 years. "It's not about predicting what's going to come, but keeping an open mind and implementing this new technology as soon as possible so Adelaide is innovative and leads the way," he said.
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

tanner1987
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#51 Post by tanner1987 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:01 pm

Fair enough comment Norman. I guess my point is that any decent public transport upgrade to the airport will be very expensive in comparison to Edinburgh, but if there's a plan to do it then I'm all for it.

As for the article Maximum, flight paths for Adelaide can't be changed(I can explain if necessary) and Parafield will never be used for airlines as the runways are far too short, too close together and not enough parking space(for aircraft, I don't care about cars). It is obvious the author has no knowledge of aviation matters.

Aidan

#52 Post by Aidan » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:55 pm

tanner1987 wrote:Fair enough comment Norman. I guess my point is that any decent public transport upgrade to the airport will be very expensive in comparison to Edinburgh, but if there's a plan to do it then I'm all for it.
A decent public transport upgrade to the airport would be far cheaper to run than one to Edinburgh, and the timespan is sufficient for light rail to the airport to become a likelihood.
As for the article Maximum, flight paths for Adelaide can't be changed(I can explain if necessary) and Parafield will never be used for airlines as the runways are far too short, too close together and not enough parking space(for aircraft, I don't care about cars). It is obvious the author has no knowledge of aviation matters.
Parafield is as suitable as Essendon and Moorabbin, and there's plenty of potential aircraft parking space on the Mawson Lakes side. Indeed the main reason the company that runs Adelaide Airport accepted the lease on Parafield as well is so that some regional services could be moved there when the ADL runway reaches capacity. I still think a short parallel runway is a better soulution, but either way there's unlikely to be the need for a new airport within 50 years.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#53 Post by Maximus » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:34 pm

tanner1987 wrote:As for the article Maximum, flight paths for Adelaide can't be changed(I can explain if necessary) and Parafield will never be used for airlines as the runways are far too short, too close together and not enough parking space(for aircraft, I don't care about cars). It is obvious the author has no knowledge of aviation matters.
Well, it depends on your definition of 'change'. Smart Tracking technology, which is beginning to be fitted to commercial jets, allows planes to fly with greater accuracy and to avoid the long, straight-line approaches currently required for landings. So I'd say it's quite possible that flight paths for Adelaide might change in the future.

As for Parafield, the quote says that a second airport probably wouldn't be at Parafield. I'd take it to mean he's suggesting a greenfield development. In any event, I just thought the article was interesting. It's future-gazing -- no need to take it too seriously.

tanner1987
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#54 Post by tanner1987 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:29 pm

Hi Maximum,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not taking anything too seriously, just trying to correct a couple of points, apologies if I came across that way :D

I'm not sure what this smart tracking technology is...airliners into adelaide already fly an instrument landing system approach, which is a precision approach, precision is not the limiting factor. Airliners fly a long finals because it is not dynamic, and airlines generally must be stable in configuration below 1000'. A descent of 300' per nautical mile means over 5km of finals, then extra to 'become' stable in configuration; so in summary, airliners aren't going to move from the current approach procedures in the foreseeable future.

I noticed that the article said Parafield "probably" wouldn't be used...I was just giving it more certainty by saying it "definitely" won't :D

And Aidan, either building a branch line off the gawler line to Edinburgh(1.3kms to the front gate) or using the interstate standard gauge line which is already on the boundary would be much cheaper than constructing rail to Adelaide airport(over 3kms to the terminal). An Edinburgh train would be incorporated into the gawler line(probably connecting to the network at salisbury station) so it's a bit unfair to count the entire cost for it.

The main limit of parafield is that it's too close to both Adelaide and Edinburgh; there isn't enough space for instrument approach traffic, which is why instrument flight rules are generally not accepted at class D aerodromes. This is why Edinburgh has no approach for runway 36. Not that discussing parafield is the point anyway.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#55 Post by Maximus » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:51 pm

You can read about Smart Tracking here: http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/env ... -tracking/

It was trialed in Brisbane and will probably become standard over the next few years.

Verbatim9
Gold-Member ;)

#56 Post by Verbatim9 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:12 pm

Dept of infrastructure is best to investigate cut and cover tunnels to run the exisisting light rail to Adelaide Airport. Perhaps even running a loop Adl city centre - Airport - Glenelg - Adl City Centre. With the recent announcement of a new carpark at Adl airport a light rail station shell should also be included in the design and construction phase that way you are halfway there with rapid transit to and from the airport. This new wireless solution would be great to run too and from Adl city centre and the Airport. It can also run on existing overhead lines :D http://www.bombardier.com/en/transporta ... 0d80211dc3

Tonsley213
High Rise Poster!

#57 Post by Tonsley213 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:14 pm

Did Adelaide Airport put this idea forward?

Ho Really

#58 Post by Ho Really » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:24 pm

Verbatim9 wrote:Dept of infrastructure is best to investigate cut and cover tunnels to run the exisisting light rail to Adelaide Airport. Perhaps even running a loop Adl city centre - Airport - Glenelg - Adl City Centre. [...]
Tunnels in great lengths around the area of the airport will risk flooding. Better to keep the light rail above ground.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Verbatim9
Gold-Member ;)

#59 Post by Verbatim9 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:44 pm

Here is a suggestion of a light rail route from ADL CBD to ADL Airport via Keswick Terminal for extra patronage. This could be acheived as a mix of Surface and Cut and Cover tunnel Infrastructure to ensure reliable travel times. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=-34. ... 2&t=m&z=14 As for the tunnelling it would not have to be major but could help for example around Keswick Terminal and Anzac HWY. The light rail would best have a interchange terminal for passengers at Keswick for easy transfers.

claybro

#60 Post by claybro » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:57 pm

Instead of turning right into Marion Road and left onto Sir Don, could the tram not continue toward the airport along the Western end of Richmond Road, enter the airport property and travel immediately North around the perimeter of the airport? They could contruct a nice landscaped corridor along the line similar to the gardens lining the runways in Singapore Changi. Would save problems at the intersection of Marion and Sir Don, and also would leave the airport access road free. Richmond Road would need some major beutification though, if it would act as our main gateway by PT. This route would act as a catalist for some redevelopement of Richmond road anyway.