Time to rip up the OBahn?

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Time to rip up the OBahn?

#16 Post by Ho Really » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:24 pm

skyliner wrote:Replace it with rail connection. Currently it is an isolated system. Integration by rail with much needed new rail extensions, light or heavy, in the eastern suburbs needed.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
I agree. Light rail with feeder buses from the interchanges. Run the light rail along North Terrace to connect the old RAH and universities to the west. Then run another fast light rail onto the airport passing nearby the Adelaide Parkland Interstate Terminal and voila! Align the dots. :D

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Aidan

#17 Post by Aidan » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:13 pm

skyliner wrote:Replace it with rail connection. Currently it is an isolated system. Integration by rail with much needed new rail extensions, light or heavy, in the eastern suburbs needed.
It's not an isolated system at all! 'Tis very well integrated with the rest of our bus network. Replacing it with rail would make it more isolated, not less.

But I'm puzzled as to how you're envisaging integrating it with new rail extensions in the eastern suburbs - and which eastern suburbs lines do you regard as much needed?

Ho Really wrote:I agree. Light rail with feeder buses from the interchanges. Run the light rail along North Terrace to connect the old RAH and universities to the west. Then run another fast light rail onto the airport passing nearby the Adelaide Parkland Interstate Terminal and voila! Align the dots. :D
Aligning the dots may appear to be a good solution, but are there really any benefits from aligning those particular ones? How many people do you think want to go from Keswick Terminal to the Airport or vice versa? Wouldn't better integration with the suburban services at Keswick Station be more effective? And do you really think there's enough demand at the airport to justify fast (as opposed to on street) light rail?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Ho Really

#18 Post by Ho Really » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:17 pm

Aidan wrote:
Ho Really wrote:I agree. Light rail with feeder buses from the interchanges. Run the light rail along North Terrace to connect the old RAH and universities to the west. Then run another fast light rail onto the airport passing nearby the Adelaide Parkland Interstate Terminal and voila! Align the dots. :D
Aligning the dots may appear to be a good solution, but are there really any benefits from aligning those particular ones? How many people do you think want to go from Keswick Terminal to the Airport or vice versa? Wouldn't better integration with the suburban services at Keswick Station be more effective? And do you really think there's enough demand at the airport to justify fast (as opposed to on street) light rail?
Don't want to go off topic too much, but... The Interstate terminal should also include suburban. The whole area around Keswick (including the barracks) should be a TOD. The corridor for a fast light rail to Airport is already there and not on streets. Putting in a street light rail won't be any cheaper considering all the traffic issues. As for demand, surely if Adelaide's aim is to increase its population (to something similar to Perth or Brisbane) we'd be looking at one... and why not do a good job of it first off?

Cheers

Aidan

#19 Post by Aidan » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:23 am

Ho Really wrote: Don't want to go off topic too much, but...
Should we move this discussion to the Airport transport access thread?
The Interstate terminal should also include suburban.
As I said, it should be better linked to Keswick station. But that would reduce, rather than increase, the need for light rail there.
The whole area around Keswick (including the barracks) should be a TOD.
Why the obsession with TODs? What is the problem with its current zoning?
The corridor for a fast light rail to Airport is already there and not on streets.
I don't regard a watercourse as a good railway route.
Putting in a street light rail won't be any cheaper considering all the traffic issues.
I find that unlikely.
As for demand, surely if Adelaide's aim is to increase its population (to something similar to Perth or Brisbane) we'd be looking at one... and why not do a good job of it first off?
Because there are other transport projects that deserve a higher priority. And light rail won't necessarily be what we need. It really depends on what other transport improvements are made.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Ho Really

#20 Post by Ho Really » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:29 pm

Aidan wrote:
Ho Really wrote: Don't want to go off topic too much, but...
Should we move this discussion to the Airport transport access thread?
No problems.

Cheers

Verbatim9
Gold-Member ;)

#21 Post by Verbatim9 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:10 pm

As in 20 Years ago 'The Obahn' is a crucial bit of infrastructure! New technology has arisen to allow electric busses to run on streets and the Obahn retro fitted without wires and dirty diesel emissions. http://primove.bombardier.com/application/bus/ "Clean Energy Future" :D

mutt
High Rise Poster!

#22 Post by mutt » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:41 pm

Verbatim9 wrote:As in 20 Years ago 'The Obahn' is a crucial bit of infrastructure! New technology has arisen to allow electric busses to run on streets and the Obahn retro fitted without wires and dirty diesel emissions. http://primove.bombardier.com/application/bus/ "Clean Energy Future" :D
there's no such thing as clean energy. this is another scam to force the state government into spending more money on these PT contractors
nothing new about electric buses...we used to have them everywhere here...

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/interv ... 517256385/

Aidan

Time to rip up the OBahn?

#23 Post by Aidan » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:11 pm

mutt wrote:
Verbatim9 wrote:As in 20 Years ago 'The Obahn' is a crucial bit of infrastructure! New technology has arisen to allow electric busses to run on streets and the Obahn retro fitted without wires and dirty diesel emissions. http://primove.bombardier.com/application/bus/ "Clean Energy Future" :D
there's no such thing as clean energy. this is another scam to force the state government into spending more money on these PT contractors
nothing new about electric buses...we used to have them everywhere here...

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/interv ... 517256385/
Of course there's such a thing as clean energy - and even without it many people would appreciate a reduction in air pollution.
This is not a scam. It is entirely genuine.
Nor is it designed to force anyone to do anything. Those who don't want it won't buy it.
Nor is it aimed at our state government. Even if the money were available, I'm sure they know we have higher priorities for spending.

But it is something new. It's true electric buses have been around for many decades, and battery powered ones have been around longer than I have. What's new is the wireless power technology that allows buses to quickly charge within the normal stopping time at the bus stop without causing electrical intreference problems.

The O-bahn, with its long fast stopless stretches, is not the kind of route those buses are best suited to. 4th rail electrification would be far more suitable for that, but for cost reasons it's not going to happen any time soon.