Adelaide Bashing - Strategies to Combat

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1 Post by Wayno » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:07 pm

Hi all, let's use this thread to collect ideas & strategies to counter the flow of negativity about Adelaide & SA.

I'm thinking along the lines of things we can do in our everyday lives, and maybe some targeted action towards higher profile culprits (news.com journalists - yes we're watching you! :sly:). It's a perfect time to raise such 'journalistic' issues - Rupert Murdoch himself is being critiqued.

I often feel the general population considers it the job of government officials to fix such issues, but the govt simply acts where votes can be gained without risk - they channel the mood of the populus. The more vocal we are the better support we'll receive at all levels.

Please cross-link from other threads where negative articles exist. I'll start here:

Article from news.com.au - Totally iBoring. Adelaide's Apple Store Slavish (Apr 29 2012) - Journalist: Alice Monfries
ADELAIDE expected their Apple store to rival New York. But it's Adelaide. The plans have been dubbed "unimaginative".
Article from zdnet.com.au - Adelaide as Next IT Hub (Apr 19 2012) - Journalist: Mahesh Sharma
Instead, the TechStars-inspired ANZ Innovyz Start program selected Adelaide, an economy built on churches, wineries and arts events.
We're a bright bunch of folk and i'm sure we can make inroads. Let fly with your ideas!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Adelaide Bashing - Strategies to Combat

#2 Post by AG » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:26 pm

Yes, I think it's pretty clear that there's a real marketing problem that Adelaide has. There's lots of good cultural and sporting events that have gained ground in Adelaide over the past few years - the Adelaide Fringe is an obvious one - that have contributed to improving community and social activity and given reason for tourists to come here. But what Adelaide lacks are defining sporting or cultural events that are recognised globally - expos, conventions and global sporting competitions. For example, there was a famous environmental convention held that wound up with the creation of the Kyoto Protocol. Guess which city that was.

The other issues I see is that we don't promote the city's successes and strengths. It certainly has plenty of these, but as a city they often get overlooked because we look over and think that the grass is greener on the other side. Also, much of Australia's media is based out of Sydney and Melbourne, which results in a bias in what gets published as some of the reporters don't understand Adelaide.

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#3 Post by dsriggs » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:11 pm

Because every single tourism ad about SA in the last 20 years has had:
1) A bloke in glasses sniffing a wine glass in front of a barrel
2) A paddle steamer on the Murray
3) A couple eating unnamed food in an unnamed restaurant in an unnamed location
4) People driving 4wd's in the Flinders Ranges
5) A long shot of some desert.

BO-RING!

mutt
High Rise Poster!

#4 Post by mutt » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:54 pm

i'd recommend a liberal dose of get over it.
who cares anyway, big deal

Vee
Legendary Member!

#5 Post by Vee » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:56 pm

Good idea. This thread can act to capture the collective wisdom of the forum in gathering/expressing ideas to promote Adelaide and South Australia and counter the negativity and cringe factor.
Thanks, Wayno.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Ben » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:06 am

It does frustrate me a lot. i think it's part of our upbringing.

When one of my mates says something such as "It's only Adelaide" or "It's so boring here" I alwayschallenge them to bring up reasons to back up their statements. Funnily enough they can't. I don't think they expect someone to stick up for Adelaide.

I think if we challenge people when they say something like that, it would help.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by Ben » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:38 am

And The opening line from a article in the Australian today..
Black Caviar's Adelaide appearance was the biggest thing to happen to SA racing in 50 years
by: Brendan Cormick From: The Australian April 30, 2012 12:00AM

IT could be argued, as racing goes, South Australia is a backwater.

victorious80
Gold-Member ;)

#8 Post by victorious80 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:17 am

It is pretty disappointing to note that the majority of Adelaide bashers are indeed locals. This is evidenced quite readily on AdelaideNow.

It seems there are 2 types of people in this city:

1) Those who form an opinion based on their past negative experiences and on misinformed reports from the media. These people will never consider Adelaide as anything but a backwater, no matter what development occurs. Some would label them as ignorant and bitter. It is probable that these people have never visited or experienced overseas cities and cultures, and are unaware of how good they have it here.
2) Those who form an opinion based on factual information. These people are encouraged by the level of development occuring and at the slow but steady change in local political attitudes and strategies. They are willing to contribute to making their city a better place by embracing change and participating in the what the city has to offer.

It is unfortunately very difficult to change the attitudes of those in the first category. It is probably more effective to focus energy on those in category 2, who are more likely to be of a demographic where their opinions and actions will shape the future of our lovely city.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#9 Post by Waewick » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:16 am

the sad part is the majority of south Australians sit in the No.1 category.

I constantly here that Adelaide "hasn't changed in 20 years", which is just nuts

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by mshagg » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:03 pm

dsriggs wrote:Because every single tourism ad about SA in the last 20 years has had:
1) A bloke in glasses sniffing a wine glass in front of a barrel
2) A paddle steamer on the Murray
3) A couple eating unnamed food in an unnamed restaurant in an unnamed location
4) People driving 4wd's in the Flinders Ranges
5) A long shot of some desert.

BO-RING!
That's South Australia, as distinct from Adelaide, and I think promoting those destinations has served the state quite well. Certainly most of my interstate colleagues hold SA in high regard, but are still quite negative about Adelaide itself. It's quite difficult to promote the city, placing yourself in direct competition with places like Vic/NSW, who tend to really focus on their capitals.

Waewick

#11 Post by Waewick » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:57 pm

to be honest, the best think about liviing in Adelaide is it's proximity to well, everything you could possibly want.

what we can not win at, nor even win at, is cookie cutter tourists, those who come from big cities to go to big cities and for a bit of a change got to fairly big city.

[Shuz]

#12 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:12 pm

This is a new one I heard from a friend the other day.

"Adelaide's cute. It's a lot like an inner suburb of Melbourne, just 700kms away."

On the one hand, you've got yet-another-comparision to Melbourne and the subtle undertone of 'smaller cousin' pity.

But on the other hand, given Melbourne's accolade worldwide, to be complimented likewise, obivously he saw the positive similarities between the two.

I'm curious to know which inner Melbourne suburb he thought of specifically? I'd venture to say either St. Kilda Road or South Yarra. I'll have to ask and get back to you.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Nathan

#13 Post by Nathan » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:46 pm

Waewick wrote:to be honest, the best think about liviing in Adelaide is it's proximity to well, everything you could possibly want.

what we can not win at, nor even win at, is cookie cutter tourists, those who come from big cities to go to big cities and for a bit of a change got to fairly big city.
I think Adelaide's appeal to people who come from big cities, is that it's not a big city. We had my wife's family over here a month ago, from Tokyo. They loved Adelaide. Her brother and sister-in-law went on to Sydney afterwards, and they vastly preferred Adelaide over Sydney despite the obvious tourist drawcards. They spend everyday in a big city, and there's not a big appeal to travelling half way around the world for more of the same.

mutt
High Rise Poster!

#14 Post by mutt » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:19 pm

the main reason people from interstate bash Adelaide is because there are no skyscrapers here.
thats how australians judge cities, by the number of skyscrapers :lol:

that said, most adelaide people are pretty easy to troll on this subject. my advice, just ignore it or laugh with it.

life will be easier for you as a result :cheers:

Mants
Legendary Member!

#15 Post by Mants » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:43 pm

Ben wrote:And The opening line from a article in the Australian today..
Black Caviar's Adelaide appearance was the biggest thing to happen to SA racing in 50 years
by: Brendan Cormick From: The Australian April 30, 2012 12:00AM

IT could be argued, as racing goes, South Australia is a backwater.
This is fair enough though, as far as racing goes Adelaide is a backwater. My brother manages a corporate bookmaker in Brisbane and was forced to move there because there is zero opportunity in South Australia's racing industry. Especially with the sale of Cheltenham and Victoria Park racecourses. The Adelaide Cup itself is no longer a Group 1 race either.