Adelaide Bashing - Strategies to Combat

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Adelaide Bashing - Strategies to Combat

#76 Post by rhino » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:56 pm

claybro wrote:
Unfortunately, Sydney's reputation as a "world city" has been rapidly falling off in recent years, and nothing of international note has been built in Sydney probably since Sydney Tower. Even locations such as Darling Harbour are now decades old and looking tired. Sydney has been in decline since the Olympics except for its booming immigrant population. Melbourne is currently outshining Sydney in the recent building stakes let alone OS destinations. Weather we like it or not, a skyline is vital to identify a city in the absence of geographical features and this has been Adelaide's problem. No harbour, no great river, no feature mountains, and with a skyline, where the tallest building is over 20 years old and not very tall at that.
Considering you're talking about Melbourne, I like your use of the word Weather for whether - freudian slip?

As to the other comments - Melbourne has a great harbour? Where?
Melbourne has a great river? Where?
Melbourne has feature mountains? Again, where? The Dandenongs are so far away you can't even see them. The Adelaide Hills are much more "visible".
And yet Melbourne is the place everyone says we need to look like.

As for Rev's comments about flying into Adelaide - I assume you've flown into Melbourne? The approach to Tullamarine would have to be one of the most boring views imaginable!
cheers,
Rhino

Waewick

#77 Post by Waewick » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:40 am

I'm starting to think the best way to combat Adelaide bashing is to laugh it off.

it appears you are damned if you do and damned if you don't, but by merely laughing at the comments and refusing to engaged in it, will send a far greater message that quite simply we don't care what some ill informed person has to say.

once we are comfortable in our own skin, the weak joke for low brow people will stop soon enough.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#78 Post by Will » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:37 pm

From news.com:

I too share Mr Paine's concerns. I have for many years been saying that one of the greatest setbacks we have in this city and state is our toxic negativity. The sad thing is that it pervades all ages and all sectors of society.

What is even sadder is that we cannot seem to change people's perceptions. For example I would have thought that all the recent changes that have occurred in the CBD recently such as lifting height restrictions, allowing public holiday trading, improving our laneways, the small bar licence, the food trucks, the Splash Adelaide initiatives, not to mention things like the new Adelaide Oval, Convention Centre, SAHMRI, new Victoria Square, etc.... would have helped change people's perceptions, however from discussions with friends, family and people at work, Adelaide is still the most boring place of earth where nothing ever changes. :wallbash:

Former Property Council SA chief urges the state to be more proud

by: GIUSEPPE TAURIELLO Business Reporter
September 03, 2013 12:31AM

FORMER Property Council SA executive director Nathan Paine has offered some parting words of advice for South Australians - stop the self-loathing and be more loud and proud.

Today, Mr Paine officially commences his national role as Property Council chief commercial officer, handing over the SA reins to Richard Angove.

He spent almost seven years as SA chief, during which he drove key development changes including widespread amendments to the city development plan, an $8500 housing construction grant and stamp duty concessions for off-the-plan apartment purchases in the city.

But despite a shift in the debate around development, Mr Paine believes the state continues to be held back by a sense of insecurity.

"The self-loathing of South Australians, the sense that we have something great here in South Australia but don't tell anyone else for fear they might come here," he said.

"And then somehow we seem to get offended when they don't come here or make fun of us.

"South Australia is a great place. We continually have fun poked at us because of our attitude. You speak to someone from Melbourne, you speak to someone in Sydney, you say how are things and they'll tell you ten things that are great and one thing that's bad.

"Ask someone from South Australia what's happening in South Australia and they'll tell you ten things that are bad and one thing that's ok."

Mr Paine said Adelaide had become one of the great cities of the world and he is proud of overseeing a period of increased vibrancy in the city.

"Watching South Australia emerge over the last three or four years and really grabbing that cultural mantle back from some of the other states, the growth of food trucks on the street, small bars, small cafes - its been really exciting," he said.

"On the whole I think we're doing very well. I think there are some policies like the car parking tax that act counter to the aims but it's great for once to actually have a focus."

Land tax reform is one area that Mr Paine was unable to move the State Government on. It is vital to the state's competitiveness, he says, as well as efforts to grow the state's population.

"There are a couple of game-changing policies that we need here in South Australia," he said.

"We need significant population growth, we need to stop being a welfare state, to stop asking other states to pay for us."

Read more: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/breaking- ... z2dpHGq2Do

Waewick

#79 Post by Waewick » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:42 am

we really need a confident premier.

Rann was ok, the current guy is hopeless and I don't hold out much hope for the liberal leader.

We need a guy who is able to get on the national stage and promote Adelaide - not defend it, promote it.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#80 Post by monotonehell » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:40 pm

Waewick wrote:we really need a confident premier.

Rann was ok, the current guy is hopeless and I don't hold out much hope for the liberal leader.

We need a guy who is able to get on the national stage and promote Adelaide - not defend it, promote it.
"But I am their leader! I must follow them." Jim Hacker, PM (fic).
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Dog
High Rise Poster!

Adelaide Bashing - Strategies to Combat

#81 Post by Dog » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:51 pm

Am I the only one that reads at our national and eastern state papers and surprised that no one has been using this topic to draw attention to the orchestrated eastern states attack on Collin's class submarines, and by implication SA's manufacturing reputation.

I think over the past few years the Australian has been the most vocal, obviously assisted by a vocal click in the Liberal Party very anti Labor's original commitment to build in SA and all for leasing of US Subs as $30bn replacement to locally built Collin's class.

Perhaps also supported by some east coast dock yards rivalry.

From my memory of most if not all of the Collin's build stuff ups were to do with imported parts, including, vibrating engines, systems etc etc and much less to do with the fabrication and locally developed systems but facts never stop a good story and a stuff up is a stuff up.

Perhaps we need to get our politicians to show there hand to support the Sub replacement locally built and in SA otherwise we will be leasing from the US or just supplying bits to Williamson.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Waewick

#82 Post by Waewick » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:37 am

Dog wrote:Am I the only one that reads at our national and eastern state papers and surprised that no one has been using this topic to draw attention to the orchestrated eastern states attack on Collin's class submarines, and by implication SA's manufacturing reputation.

I think over the past few years the Australian has been the most vocal, obviously assisted by a vocal click in the Liberal Party very anti Labor's original commitment to build in SA and all for leasing of US Subs as $30bn replacement to locally built Collin's class.

From my memory of most if not all of the Collin's build stuff ups were to do with imported parts, including, vibrating engines, systems etc etc and much less to do with the fabrication and locally developed systems but facts never stop a good story and a stuff up is a stuff up.

Perhaps we need to get our politicians to show there hand to support the Sub replacement locally built and in SA otherwise we will be leasing from the US or just supplying bits to Williamson.

to be fair on our eastern state counterparts.

they have no idea what they are talking about and if it had any impact on anything I would be disappointed.

Dog
High Rise Poster!

#83 Post by Dog » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:49 pm

Waewick wrote:
Dog wrote:Am I the only one that reads at our national and eastern state papers and surprised that no one has been using this topic to draw attention to the orchestrated eastern states attack on Collin's class submarines, and by implication SA's manufacturing reputation.

to be fair on our eastern state counterparts.

they have no idea what they are talking about and if it had any impact on anything I would be disappointed.
Warwick,
You would be surprised what makes it to interstate newspapers and doesn't show up in ours. Especially when it effects SA and how vocal and persuasive interstate lobby groups can be.