Suggestions on boosting tourism in SA?

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
mattblack
Legendary Member!

Re: PRO: Adelaide Festival Theatre Redevelopment

#31 Post by mattblack » Tue May 21, 2013 8:48 am

pushbutton wrote: To me they comprise pretty much nothing when compared to what other cities have to offer.
This is coming from someone who has never even been to the world renowned fringe festival until this year. Give me a break!

Brazer
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: New tourist attraction

#32 Post by Brazer » Tue May 21, 2013 5:49 pm

And to add to that, pinky flat offers some sensational views of our skyline! :applause:

ml69
Legendary Member!

Re: New tourist attraction

#33 Post by ml69 » Tue May 21, 2013 9:32 pm

Nathan wrote:I think the wetlands & boardwalk currently earmarked for Pinky Flat are a good idea. However, there's no reason why something like that couldn't work immediately next to it on the other site of the Morphett St bridge - unless it would be considered too close to the new one in Bonython Park. It could tie in then with the skate park, and would also be good placed near the hospital.
I reckon the northern riverbank west of the Morphett St bridge is a far better location for a wetland and boardwalk ... it's more natural and undeveloped there. The boardwalk could link the weir and existing restaurant in that area with the redeveloped Pinky Flat parklands.

I just think that the Pinky Flat area (which have arguably the best views in Adelaide) would be wasted on a wetland, just like it's a wasted opportunity now. Pinky Flat deserves to be an open landscaped area with interesting attractions to encourage people to use it, and take advantage of those fantastic views.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#34 Post by Mants » Wed May 22, 2013 12:21 am

pushbutton wrote:A fair list of things to do there, but they're all very low-key or expensive (or both) compared to what other cities have.

I do go out of my way to try to find things to do here, and was aware of all the things on your list. To me they comprise pretty much nothing when compared to what other cities have to offer.

I don't expect you to agree. Just stating my opinion.
why don't you move to another city? i'm being serious...

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#35 Post by Ben » Wed May 22, 2013 9:14 am

pushbutton wrote:A fair list of things to do there, but they're all very low-key or expensive (or both) compared to what other cities have.

I do go out of my way to try to find things to do here, and was aware of all the things on your list. To me they comprise pretty much nothing when compared to what other cities have to offer.

Do you have examples of what other low cost tourist attractions all ther other cities have that Adelaide doesn't?

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Suggestions on boosting tourism in SA?

#36 Post by Waewick » Wed May 22, 2013 10:32 am

There is a place in the RIverland call Overland Corner.

It is one of the original hotels built on the mail run from Morgan to Renmark and has a fairly checked past.

I honestly believe a that a eco resort or similar linking to the old pub to the river would go gangbusters with international tourists.

on the plus side it is close to the rest of the riverland/existing infrastructure.

claybro

#37 Post by claybro » Wed May 22, 2013 7:18 pm

Ben wrote:Do you have examples of what other low cost tourist attractions all ther other cities have that Adelaide doesn't?
Hmmm, do we really have to go there. I do love Adelaide, but lets be realistic about what we have here compared to the other capitals.

Dazzeland
High Rise Poster!

#38 Post by Dazzeland » Wed May 22, 2013 8:19 pm

claybro wrote:
Ben wrote:Do you have examples of what other low cost tourist attractions all ther other cities have that Adelaide doesn't?
Hmmm, do we really have to go there. I do love Adelaide, but lets be realistic about what we have here compared to the other capitals.
Better beaches.

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#39 Post by ynotsfables » Wed May 22, 2013 9:01 pm

Better culture

claybro

#40 Post by claybro » Wed May 22, 2013 10:15 pm

ynotsfables wrote:Better culture
Better culture than some, for sure.
Dazzeland wrote:Better beaches.
Not really.

Waewick

#41 Post by Waewick » Wed May 22, 2013 10:29 pm

claybro wrote:
what is low cost?

we have pretty much the same thing except on a smaller scale.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#42 Post by pushbutton » Thu May 23, 2013 12:23 am

Mants wrote:

Only one reason. Family.

It's something I will definitely do sooner or later (move to the Gold Coast). Just got to get the timing right and I don't think the time is right just now.

In the meantime the reason I complain about Adelaides lack of fun things to do is because having lived here 20+ years I know it has LOADS of potential to be a fantastic place to live or visit. In most ways it already is, it just lacks FUN! That's what I'm about. Not into winery visits or museums etc. I'm basically a big kid at heart and I like fun!

I have been to see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang 6 times so far and will see it again Sunday night because it's a very rare example of a BRILLIANT fun attraction in Adelaide. Costs lots sadly but as there's no other options and it's only available for a limited time I take it.

Anyway sorry to hijack the thread. I'll get off that topic now! ;)

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#43 Post by crawf » Thu May 23, 2013 1:03 am

pushbutton wrote:

Only one reason. Family.

It's something I will definitely do sooner or later (move to the Gold Coast). Just got to get the timing right and I don't think the time is right just now.

In the meantime the reason I complain about Adelaides lack of fun things to do is because having lived here 20+ years I know it has LOADS of potential to be a fantastic place to live or visit. In most ways it already is, it just lacks FUN! That's what I'm about. Not into winery visits or museums etc. I'm basically a big kid at heart and I like fun!

I have been to see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang 6 times so far and will see it again Sunday night because it's a very rare example of a BRILLIANT fun attraction in Adelaide. Costs lots sadly but as there's no other options and it's only available for a limited time I take it.

I just got back from Queensland, and I couldn't think of anything worse to live in the Gold Coast. Sure it's scenic and great for holidays, but in all it's just fake and full of tossers. Adelaide is a much better city, especially food-wise!.

Rare example?!, coming from the person that never went to the Adelaide Fringe or any of the festivals. And I hate to break it to you but most attractions around the country can be expensive.

Waewick

#44 Post by Waewick » Thu May 23, 2013 8:27 am

pushbutton wrote:
Mants wrote:

Only one reason. Family.

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but not being about to find fun things to do is more a reflection on the person than the city.

I'm one that had career aspirations to be living in NY. Tokyo etc etc but due to family have remained in Adelaide.

Over the time I have found plenty of fun and cheap things to do, from a simply walk in parkland (Morialta, Waterfall Gully) or taking my daughter to the numerous playgrounds throughout Adelaide and inner suburbs. I'd even suggest a quick drive into the hills or McLaren Vale to explore the region is extraordinarily cheap compared to things you can do interstate or OS....and especially the GC.

If you really want to have fun, you'll find it. If you really want to complain about the lack of things to do, you can also do that because it takes a lot less effort.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#45 Post by Ben » Thu May 23, 2013 9:17 am

pushbutton wrote: It's something I will definitely do sooner or later (move to the Gold Coast).

That explains a lot... Gold Coast is certianly cheap... oh and tacky and certianly has fair less culture then every capital city in Aus. Gold Coast is a great place to go for a week or less, get drunk and go wild, but it's not my choice of a place to live. It's like saying you want to move to las Vagas because it's fun... how long will it be fun before you are sick of stepping over vomit, seeing drunks everynight and not to mention the lack of morals and responsibility that comes from a constant cycle of drunk tourists into your city that don't give a crap about it only themselves.