Vision: Your ideas for a new Tram Network

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
neoballmon
Legendary Member!

Re: Vision: Your ideas for a new Tram Network

#76 Post by neoballmon » Tue May 21, 2013 6:00 pm

Nathan wrote:What if on-street parking was removed, and replaced 1 to 1 by off-street parks? Surely there couldn't be any rational objection then. Really, how many on-street parks are there any way. 70 maybe? That could *easily* be replaced by a fairly modest off-street park. Just the roof level alone of the North Adelaide village car park covers that amount.
The former LeCornu site would be a perfect position for a carpark, if a building ever got off the ground. Depending how many spots the development may need for itself, perhaps the government could contribute funds for the additional 70 to be included underground amongst private parking. This location is central, has pedestrian crossings at both ends of the block, and perhaps a pedestrian undepass could be built, connecting to a tram stop in the median, the North Adelaide Village, and the opposide footpath.
And slap on a 4 hour limit to prevent commuters from using this to get into the city.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#77 Post by Will » Tue May 21, 2013 7:56 pm

rubberman wrote:
monotonehell wrote:Rubberman, you're giving too much credit to NIMBYs. When you examine history, most projects don't die due to NIMBY noise, most are cancelled due to the economic decisions of their developers.

But yes having all your ducks in a row is a good idea.
I am not disagreeing with the idea that the final effect is cancellation due to the economic decisions of the developers. However, in the case of the LeCornu site, the residents forced conditions on the developer that meant the economics were poor. So, was it the economics? Or the nimbys that forced the project to be modified so that it became uneconomic? Same with the Village development - how long did that take before the development was ok-ed? The constraints on the developer which made this economically touch and go for years were nimby made.

So, I agree wholeheartedly that in the end, it is often the economic unviability that makes projects unviable. However, it is often the nimby vote that makes governments and councils put such onerous conditions on developers that then drives the economics.

In the case of the tram. I have no doubt that resident and traders could kill the economics by eliminating economically viable options. I am sure that the residents and traders would be happy to totally eliminate through traffic enabling them to have a nice quiet little village where only residents and customers could go...oh, and a tram for residents to then go to town would be nice too. :cheers: That may well kill the project.

That's why some practical ideas like Nathan has should be developed. Similarly, we should look at putting parking stations at the end of the tramline as an option for reducing North Adelaide car traffic. And any other ideas to head off the nay sayers.

What conditions did the residents place on the Makris proposal?

rubberman
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#78 Post by rubberman » Wed May 22, 2013 10:04 am

They wanted a much lower profile, than he wanted.
What he got was a compromise.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#79 Post by Will » Wed May 22, 2013 8:17 pm

rubberman wrote:They wanted a much lower profile, than he wanted.
What he got was a compromise.
Can you provide me with some details please?

rubberman

#80 Post by rubberman » Thu May 23, 2013 10:01 am

http://sensational-adelaide.com/?option ... e=f-larger
http://www.walkercorp.com.au/news/article/?view=108
http://www.abc.net.au/stateline/sa/cont ... 483692.htm Here's where they wanted seven stories.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=171560 and here, there's even a piccy of the proposed development.

I am sure there would be more were you to take the trouble to google it. Furthermore, you might like to look up some of the North Adelaide Society's newsletters, Council planning minutes etc etc.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#81 Post by Will » Fri May 24, 2013 1:25 pm

rubberman wrote:http://sensational-adelaide.com/?option ... e=f-larger
http://www.walkercorp.com.au/news/article/?view=108
http://www.abc.net.au/stateline/sa/cont ... 483692.htm Here's where they wanted seven stories.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=171560 and here, there's even a piccy of the proposed development.

I am sure there would be more were you to take the trouble to google it. Furthermore, you might like to look up some of the North Adelaide Society's newsletters, Council planning minutes etc etc.
And this is why I'm confused when you're saying this project was halted by the NIMBYs.

Although I agree that local citizens and the ACC weren't in favour of the proposal and wanted something 3 levels, this project was granted major project status by the state government. Essentially Makris got what he wanted.

The project didn't proceed because of economic factors.

Indeed, in one of the sources you posted comes the following quote:
Makris Group battled Adelaide City Council for a permit to build six apartment towers and retail space on the site, which was eventually granted in 2009 by the state government. While the former structures were demolished in 2010, the project didn't proceed due to weak retail and apartment markets.
I'm pursuing this matter, because there is a stereotype that all developments in Adelaide are halted by conservative locals. We shouldn't promulgate such a myth on this forum.

rubberman

#82 Post by rubberman » Fri May 24, 2013 5:07 pm

Will,

I don't recall saying or implying that the project was halted by nimbys.
Nor that all projects are halted by nimbys.

I also interpret the extract you quoted quite differently from you.

It is a fact that Makris wanted more than he was granted, and he was only granted what he wanted after a fight. The fight that he had and the need for the Government to give his project special status was as a result of local North Adelaide residents' actions. That is quite clear.

Now, if you see those actions by residents as having little effect on the project, fair enough.

However, that does not change my initial point, and that is, that if we want a tram vision to succeed in getting something through North Adelaide, then either we get our ducks in a row and have all the ammunition ready to address the concerns of residents before the project is seriously proposed, OR we wait, react, and have the same amount of difficulty (or ease if you really think that was the case) that major projects (Such as the Makris one) evoke. I wonder if you were to approach Mr Makris and ask him whether or not the actions of residents had any bearing on the final outcome, what his answer would be? Nah, no effect at all? No nimby effect in North Adelaide. I guess that he would be the better decider in this case. Presumably he thought his original proposal was economic? So who forced him to change that?

Will, this is a very interesting topic, and probably deserves a thread of its own somewhere, as is broader than the focus it requires for a tram vision subject.

claybro

#83 Post by claybro » Fri May 24, 2013 9:45 pm

rubberman wrote:However, that does not change my initial point, and that is, that if we want a tram vision to succeed in getting something through North Adelaide, then either we get our ducks in a row and have all the ammunition ready to address the concerns of residents before the project is seriously proposed, OR we wait, react, and have the same amount of difficulty (or ease if you really think that was the case) that major projects (Such as the Makris one) evoke. I wonder if you were to approach Mr Makris and ask him whether or not the actions of residents had any bearing on the final outcome, what his answer would be? Nah, no effect at all? No nimby effect in North Adelaide. I guess that he would be the better decider in this case. Presumably he thought his original proposal was economic? So who forced him to change that?
I don't think people realise the amount of damage NIMBYS do to investment here. Everywhere has NIMBYS, but Adelaide media seem to take some delight in promoting their cause. Furthermore rubberman, I don't think it would be possible to address the concerns of North Adelaide residents re a tram extension, remembering the proposal for KWS had everyone from former politicians, to former Lord Mayors and even taxi drivers venting their opposition. One thing however, is that the upgrade to Adelaide oval will change the face of North Adelaide forever, and just maybe, the pressure for rapid access to the oval, might strengthen the case for trams from the inner North, which at present will become a bit of a traffic nightmare on footy days, as the trains do not service that area immediately north of the CBD.

rubberman

#84 Post by rubberman » Sat May 25, 2013 8:34 am

claybro wrote:
(snip) Furthermore rubberman, I don't think it would be possible to address the concerns of North Adelaide residents re a tram extension, remembering the proposal for KWS had everyone from former politicians, to former Lord Mayors and even taxi drivers venting their opposition. One thing however, is that the upgrade to Adelaide oval will change the face of North Adelaide forever, and just maybe, the pressure for rapid access to the oval, might strengthen the case for trams from the inner North, which at present will become a bit of a traffic nightmare on footy days, as the trains do not service that area immediately north of the CBD.
I agree that it is probably asking a bit much for getting all the North Adelaide residents on side. However, IF their concerns are addressed, as in 'we know what they are and have some reasonable solutions in advance', then there is a good chance that their influence will be far less. As an example, I was a project manager in another jurisdiction with a very strong nimby culture. They organised meetings and rallies agin one of my projects, with quite large numbers at public meetings. I addressed most of the concerns and in the end there were still the few hold outs who refused to budge on the project, but they were so few that in the end, I got what I wanted, and all this in a relatively short time, and with most of the accommodation being relatively low cost to the project (ie just making some rearrangements rather than reductions, and a lot of cosmetics).

I see the same situation here. Make sure that most people in North Adelaide get their say, and issues addressed, and the militant minority (who are normally not popular anyway) will have very little support.

It is an approach that works for most projects.