Vision: Panalatinga Road Extension

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#1 Post by neoballmon » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:39 pm

Having lived in Morphett Vale and Hackham for all of my life, I've always thought it was strange that Panalatinga Road was never extended south from where it ends at Wheatsheaf Road (as it turns into Cox's Hill Road from here), down to Doctors Road.
I've once heard they cancelled plans when the Southern Expressway was announced because that removed the need, but the majority of people that would live near this road would get off the Expressway at the Panalatinga Road exit anyway, as Lonsdale and Noarlunga are so far west of States Road.
They've got more than enough width in the corridor, so no property acquisition would be needed, and the land is extremely flat, so it would be extremely cheap for a kilometer of road.

Google Images already recognises it as a road

I've made a few images of the affected area in Photoshop over the last year, thought I might share them here.

Pana's & Cox's Hill Road Realignment.

Taylors & Pana's Intersection

States/Doctors/Pana's Roundabout.

My street directory from 1979 also shows that the road extends all the way down to Penneys Hill Road (now Upper Penneys Hill Road) to the South. The former road now services local houses, then where the map says "Road", has no evidence of a road, and it way too steep, so may have just been a horse track. Then the following section is now Kimbley Road which joins to UPH-Road.

Anyone else who would like a Panalatinga Road extension, please like my Facebook page?
https://www.facebook.com/ExtendPanalatingaRoad
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

MawsonLiberal
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Vision: Panalatinga Road Extension

#2 Post by MawsonLiberal » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:36 pm

Hello I'm Richard Cohn,

I'm working with the Liberals in Mawson and would be keen to discuss the extension of panalatinga Rd with you

Please contact me on [email protected]

Kind Regards

Richard

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3 Post by Aidan » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:36 pm

I hope the Liberals aren't planning a four lane highway to save a small number of motorists less than a minute each!

Google Maps now labels the route as Margaret Street, which suggests that it's now planned to construct it as a normal resideintial street. And considering demand is unlikely to grow very much (Onkaparinga Recreation Park will limit sprawl to the south, Spriggs Road is a shorter route for E-W traffic) I think that's the best solution.

(Edit: didn't notice the discontinuity in Spriggs Road. So it's not currently a shorter route for E-W traffic, though it may again become one when more development occurs.)
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

MessiahAndrw
High Rise Poster!

#4 Post by MessiahAndrw » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:09 am

Aidan wrote:I hope the Liberals aren't planning a four lane highway to save a small number of motorists less than a minute each!
I'm with Aidan here. Why would we spend hundreds of thousands of dollars building a road, widening others, building pedestrian underpasses, take on the obligations of maintaining all of it as it has to be resurfaced and rebuilt several times over its lifecycle just to save 'a small number of motorists less than a minute each!'?

Is the city going to make a return on their investment from increase property values bringing in greater tax revenue - by doing this? If this answer is no, it's a bad investment.
My blog on urban design: http://www.andrewalexanderprice.com/blog.php

Vee
Legendary Member!

#5 Post by Vee » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:51 pm

Love that e-mail ... Polly.waffle@ etc
Ha ha!!!

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#6 Post by rev » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:30 pm

Build a freeway through there, and it can be the worlds shortest freeway. Since the Libs will probably win the state election, we can add it to their other infrastructure achievements...like the worlds only one way expressway.
I'm not taking the piss.

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#7 Post by fabricator » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:26 am

neoballmon wrote: My street directory from 1979 also shows that the road extends all the way down to Penneys Hill Road (now Upper Penneys Hill Road) to the South. The former road now services local houses, then where the map says "Road", has no evidence of a road, and it way too steep, so may have just been a horse track. Then the following section is now Kimbley Road which joins to UPH-Road.
There are these things called "un-made roads" it's where a road has been surveyed and the land reserved, but it has never been built.
There are a few of these sorts of roads around Gawler, one of which finally got built a few years ago. An above ground major water main runs down it, but aside from dirt tracks, it was never complete, nor could traffic pass through as the pipe had a bridge but the road never did.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#8 Post by Aidan » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:47 am

Like some (but not all) closed roads, never built roads are classified as non trafficable streets in the street directory, and shown as background colour. That isn't one of them, though the Panalatinga Road Extension to Doctors Road is. There were also some unmade roads in the Onkaparinga (Gorge) Recreation Park, though the street directory stopped showing them after it was officially decided they never will be built.

A steep unsealed unmaintained road can easily wash away or get taken over by vegetation. Both appear to have happened in this case. Human intervention can speed things up - I don't know whether or not it did here.

Not all closed roads dissipate quickly - the section of Lander Road from Berima Road to Commercial Road Sheidow Park could still be driven down a couple of years after it vanished from the maps.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.