Mega shopping mall for Target and Hungry Jack building?

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
wll6568
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Mega shopping mall for Target and Hungry Jack building?

#1 Post by wll6568 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:55 pm

I thought it would be amazing if the Target building gets renovated into a mega shopping mall, together with the Hungry Jack building, instead of two very ugly carparks. Rundle lantern can stay but we could have sky bridge joining both building, overlooking Rundle mall and Rundle St. How amazing and exciting it would be!!

:)

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Mega shopping mall for Target and Hungry Jack building?

#2 Post by Aidan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:57 pm

Why would it be amazing or exciting? Adelaide may have shared your enthusiasm once, but new malls are regarded as mundane nowadays.

There are two obvious problems with your suggestion: firstly, what are you expecting existing car park users to do when the car parks are gone? Secondly how would it attract shoppers to the upper levels?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

wll6568
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3 Post by wll6568 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:59 pm

Didn't the news always report saying Adelaide CBD has too many car parks?

We can have the upper levels as residentail or office space. The first four, five levels being retails and food. Something like the QV or Melbourne Central. People wanna have an interest to go there to chill out with friends or buy something.

Aidan

#4 Post by Aidan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:30 pm

wll6568 wrote:Didn't the news always report saying Adelaide CBD has too many car parks?
That's a common opinion, but he CBD will depend on car parks until it has much better bus and train services, and the area around Rundle Mall needs them more than the rest of the CBD, as many people buy more than they can carry.
We can have the upper levels as residentail or office space. The first four, five levels being retails and food. Something like the QV or Melbourne Central. People wanna have an interest to go there to chill out with friends or buy something.
Car parks tend to have low ceilings so aren't very well suited to other uses. And even four levels above ground are difficult to fill, as the Myer Centre proves. IIRC the mall part of Melbourne Central doesn't have that many levels above street level, and nor does the QV.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Patrick_27

#5 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:36 pm

Adelaide doesn't have 'too many' car-parks, just an excessive amount considering how many people work in the CBD; it encourages people to drive to work rather than use PT provided.

IMO I don't necessarily have a dislike for the Target building, but the HJ's Car-park is unsightly, and could be used so much better considering it's a prime city location.

I've always been quite bitter about that site.
Under government ownership, the former the Grand Hotel + Foy & Gibson building was demolished (a fine piece of heritage); only to be replaced by that car-park. Whilst only a few years later Target purchased the site across the road, bulldozed the existing building and built what they have today.

Seeing as the Foy & Gibson store operated out of the ground and underground floors of the former building where HJ's is, if Target had been around a few years prior they could have purchased the building, restored it; sold the upper floors for apartments, and used the lower floors for their own store. And we'd have a beautiful building still standing at the end of the mall.

Too late now. :cry:

PeFe

#6 Post by PeFe » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:55 pm

I would rather see the Target and Hungry Jacks/Carapark buildings demolished and replaced with the former heritage buildings that were on those sites, reclaiming some of Adelaide's lost architecture. Rebuild the past? Why not, its done in Europe all the time. Berlin is about to rebuild the City Palace destroyed by the East German government in 1950, Dresden is full of re-built architectual gems. A mega shopping mall, no thanks you've already got Wastefield Marion for that.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#7 Post by Mants » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:52 pm

PeFe wrote:I would rather see the Target and Hungry Jacks/Carapark buildings demolished and replaced with the former heritage buildings that were on those sites, reclaiming some of Adelaide's lost architecture. Rebuild the past? Why not, its done in Europe all the time.
$

also using your logic, why don't we bulldoze the entire city and plant gum trees?

i think it's time to bury the hatchet with the grand central hotel.

wll6568
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#8 Post by wll6568 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:17 pm

Mants wrote:
PeFe wrote:I would rather see the Target and Hungry Jacks/Carapark buildings demolished and replaced with the former heritage buildings that were on those sites, reclaiming some of Adelaide's lost architecture. Rebuild the past? Why not, its done in Europe all the time.
$

also using your logic, why don't we bulldoze the entire city and plant gum trees?

i think it's time to bury the hatchet with the grand central hotel.
LOL

wll6568
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#9 Post by wll6568 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:18 pm

PeFe wrote:... A mega shopping mall, no thanks you've already got Wastefield Marion for that.
Marion is too far and painful to get to for people living in eastern suburbs. I am talking about cbd...

wll6568
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#10 Post by wll6568 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:20 pm

Car parks tend to have low ceilings so aren't very well suited to other uses. And even four levels above ground are difficult to fill, as the Myer Centre proves. IIRC the mall part of Melbourne Central doesn't have that many levels above street level, and nor does the QV.[/quote]

Hmm... I guess the key factor is still... people. We need more people, migrants... But without jobs, people won't come. Sigh...

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#11 Post by monotonehell » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:42 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:Adelaide doesn't have 'too many' car-parks, just an excessive amount considering how many people work in the CBD; it encourages people to drive to work rather than use PT provided.

Since 'too many's definition is 'excessive', I don't understand your differentiation. :?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Goya's Line
High Rise Poster!

#12 Post by Goya's Line » Mon May 13, 2013 5:22 am

Cars are fine if you have kids or the weather's extreme but a lot of people are just fu<^!ng lazy. I've been catching public transport in Adelaide for 21 years and can't see the problem.

Nathan

#13 Post by Nathan » Mon May 13, 2013 8:25 am

Goya's Line wrote:Cars are fine if you have kids or the weather's extreme but a lot of people are just fu<^!ng lazy. I've been catching public transport in Adelaide for 21 years and can't see the problem.
This. There will always be specific times when yes, a car is needed, but most of the time it's unnecessary. I don't think it's purely laziness, it's more conditioning. People of Adelaide have been trained such that hopping in the car to go anywhere is the default - other transport means aren't even considered.

Aidan

#14 Post by Aidan » Mon May 13, 2013 9:59 am

Goya's Line wrote:Cars are fine if you have kids or the weather's extreme but a lot of people are just fu<^!ng lazy.
Somewhere is still needed to park them when the weather's extreme.
I've been catching public transport in Adelaide for 21 years and can't see the problem.
So have I, so let me enlighten you:

The buses are slow and sometimes unreliable.
Schedules are so badly designed and unresponsive that some buses and trams run completely full.
Further out, some passengers have to wait hours for a bus.
There's not much passenger information available.
The CBD only has a single train station, and that's right on its edge.
Existing rail passengers are treated with extreme contempt, with multiple extended closures for months at a time and incompetently planned replacement buses.
Last edited by Aidan on Mon May 13, 2013 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#15 Post by Will » Mon May 13, 2013 6:41 pm

Goya's Line wrote:Cars are fine if you have kids or the weather's extreme but a lot of people are just fu<^!ng lazy. I've been catching public transport in Adelaide for 21 years and can't see the problem.
Have you considered that some people may actually enjoy driving?