Any chance for a Box Hill like place in Adelaide?

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Any chance for a Box Hill like place in Adelaide?

#16 Post by Aidan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:54 pm

wll6568 wrote:
monotonehell wrote:
Norman wrote:What about Unley? Prospect? Woodville? Lockleys? The Parade? Why don't we improve on the High Streets we already have instead of artificially creating another one?
Artificially trying to create something like this is very hit and miss, normally miss. I think the Parade is the closest to what wll6568 is suggesting. Also remember that Box Hill used to be its own city before Greater Melbourne engulfed it.
I think it's very hard to do it in streets like Unley, Parade, etc. Because it's too costy, these places are more like upper high end high street, more like Melb's South Yarra, Toorak Rd. Box Hill is more like lower mid range of shops and cafes, more targeted for Students with cheap but very nice range of diversity of food.
Hence my suggestion of Salisbury: it has a lot in common with Box Hill:

Started off as a town before being engulfed by suburbia
Has railway station and major bus interchange
Has a Centro shopping centre that doesn't totally dominate the area
Activity is not confined to a single street.

Proximity to Mawson Lakes has increased the number of students in the area, though I don't know how much.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

wll6568
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#17 Post by wll6568 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:15 pm

Hence my suggestion of Salisbury: it has a lot in common with Box Hill:

Started off as a town before being engulfed by suburbia
Has railway station and major bus interchange
Has a Centro shopping centre that doesn't totally dominate the area
Activity is not confined to a single street.

Proximity to Mawson Lakes has increased the number of students in the area, though I don't know how much.
Never been to Salisbury before so can't comment much but is it safe there? I only heard people saying lots of dodgy people there, lol.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#18 Post by Will » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:28 pm

Actually, it appears that Salisbury may already be transforming into a 'foodie' destination:

From the Advertiser:
Salisbury is our new multicultural food mecca

Tory Shepherd
adelaidenow
November 25, 201210:00PM

Coffee Amigo's Julio Cordero, sipping his best, brewed from Salvadoran beans. It's available along with other unusual drinks, including coraditos and marocchinos. Picture: DYLAN COKER Source: adelaidenow

FANCY a pupusa? Craving some chorizo con huevo? Or are you hungry for Polish luncheon meats, Serbian treats, or a box of Persian sweets?

There is a multicultural mecca in Adelaide where you can munch on these and much more and it's not Chinatown.

The John St area in Salisbury has food from Nepal, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Africa, India, Turkey, Iran and the rest of the Middle East. Go past the Italian and Greek food to find specialities from Croatia, Kosovo and Poland.

For the record, a pupusa is a Salvadoran specialty; a delicious soft tortilla filled with melted cheese and pork or beans. They are cooked up on a Friday night at Coffee Amigo which opened in June.

"Yesterday, I was so happy," owner Julio Cordero said.

"For the first time, nearly 90 per cent of the night-time customers for Salvadoran food were Australian."

Salisbury Mayor Gillian Aldridge said she was "very proud" of the diversity offered in and near John St.

"On a Saturday morning it buzzes because we have markets there, as well as great places to buy food seven days a week. It's just full of wonderful smells," Ms Aldridge said.

Coffee Amigo is just one of the great northern suburbs places in The Advertiser Food Guide 2013.

The 2013 guide features a new district-by-district guide with the best butchers, bakers, grocers, cafes and takeaways in the metropolitan area

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#19 Post by rhino » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:58 am

[Shuz] wrote:How about not having this discussion anymore because its pointless and never goint to happen.
This from someone who suggests that building a bridge across the Onkaparinga Gorge would be a good idea. :roll:
cheers,
Rhino