Any chance for a Box Hill like place in Adelaide?

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
wll6568
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Any chance for a Box Hill like place in Adelaide?

#1 Post by wll6568 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:17 pm

Well, not necessarily like Box Hill but I'd love to see a place where there are plenty of international cruisine cafes lined up streets after streets. I thought somewhere around Modbury would be good. What you think?

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Any chance for a Box Hill like place in Adelaide?

#2 Post by Aidan » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:51 pm

Why Modbury?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

claybro

#3 Post by claybro » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:02 pm

wll6568 wrote:Well, not necessarily like Box Hill but I'd love to see a place where there are plenty of international cruisine cafes lined up streets after streets. I thought somewhere around Modbury would be good. What you think?
Modbury does not spring to mind when you mention international cousine. Cafe Primo is probably about as close as they get out there.

wll6568
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#4 Post by wll6568 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:18 pm

claybro wrote:
wll6568 wrote:Well, not necessarily like Box Hill but I'd love to see a place where there are plenty of international cruisine cafes lined up streets after streets. I thought somewhere around Modbury would be good. What you think?
Modbury does not spring to mind when you mention international cousine. Cafe Primo is probably about as close as they get out there.
I know its not as close, just saying may be it's got potential with its location.

claybro

#5 Post by claybro » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:40 pm

wll6568 wrote:
claybro wrote:
I know its not as close, just saying may be it's got potential with its location.
Its not only the location, but the demographic. A more conservative suburban location you would struggle to find. It is the bible belt of Adelaide.

claybro

#6 Post by claybro » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:55 pm

Sorry wll6568, my replys come across a bit sarcy. Good thing you are willing to put your :2cents: in regarding some pretty ordinary sites around Adelaide. Unfortunately a lot of us have lost the big visions, there have been too many let downs and things do move slowly here. Best to enjoy the small wins and keep dreaming big. Re your ideas for Modbury, whilst i dont think streets of international dining are instore, I do think the area around TTP is ripe for consolidation and developement. (as per the 30 year plan). Once some appartments/townhouses and a better design for TTP that faces out intead of in (it is super fugly now) ie a high street etc, then a more diverse population will move in, then you can start developements of international dining, cafes/restaurants, boutique pubs etc.

wll6568
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#7 Post by wll6568 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:49 pm

claybro wrote:Sorry wll6568, my replys come across a bit sarcy. Good thing you are willing to put your :2cents: in regarding some pretty ordinary sites around Adelaide. Unfortunately a lot of us have lost the big visions, there have been too many let downs and things do move slowly here. Best to enjoy the small wins and keep dreaming big. Re your ideas for Modbury, whilst i dont think streets of international dining are instore, I do think the area around TTP is ripe for consolidation and developement. (as per the 30 year plan). Once some appartments/townhouses and a better design for TTP that faces out intead of in (it is super fugly now) ie a high street etc, then a more diverse population will move in, then you can start developements of international dining, cafes/restaurants, boutique pubs etc.
I been to TTP a couple times sending a fren home, and I actually thought the place wasn't too bad, with lots of shops and retails, except that it would be so much better if there a few streets with international dinings like Melb's Box Hill. Reason i thought Modbury TTP is an ideal spot is because I thought it's quite a distant away from the cbd but with great transport hub, so pretty convinient for people to travel to and from CBD. Also, with that distant, perhaps the rent would be cheaper for cafe owners to opening up there than say parade or unley.

I wonder how Box Hill started, did they have people migrated there first then the shops popping up?...

ouchjars
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#8 Post by ouchjars » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:45 pm

The only place I can see this happening outside the inner suburbs and coastal suburbs is Blackwood.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#9 Post by Norman » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:52 pm

What about Unley? Prospect? Woodville? Lockleys? The Parade? Why don't we improve on the High Streets we already have instead of artificially creating another one?

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by monotonehell » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:54 pm

Norman wrote:What about Unley? Prospect? Woodville? Lockleys? The Parade? Why don't we improve on the High Streets we already have instead of artificially creating another one?
Artificially trying to create something like this is very hit and miss, normally miss. I think the Parade is the closest to what wll6568 is suggesting. Also remember that Box Hill used to be its own city before Greater Melbourne engulfed it.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Aidan

#11 Post by Aidan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:54 am

How about Salisbury?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

[Shuz]

#12 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:44 am

How about not having this discussion anymore because its pointless and never goint to happen.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Nathan

#13 Post by Nathan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:14 am

[Shuz] wrote:How about not having this discussion anymore because its pointless and never goint to happen.
Couldn't you argue that that's the case with a lot of threads on this forum? Besides, this thread is in the Visions & Suggestions section.

wll6568
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#14 Post by wll6568 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:27 am

monotonehell wrote:
Norman wrote:What about Unley? Prospect? Woodville? Lockleys? The Parade? Why don't we improve on the High Streets we already have instead of artificially creating another one?
Artificially trying to create something like this is very hit and miss, normally miss. I think the Parade is the closest to what wll6568 is suggesting. Also remember that Box Hill used to be its own city before Greater Melbourne engulfed it.
I think it's very hard to do it in streets like Unley, Parade, etc. Because it's too costy, these places are more like upper high end high street, more like Melb's South Yarra, Toorak Rd. Box Hill is more like lower mid range of shops and cafes, more targeted for Students with cheap but very nice range of diversity of food.

wll6568
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#15 Post by wll6568 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:27 am

[Shuz] wrote:How about not having this discussion anymore because its pointless and never goint to happen.
Oh, Okay, let's all move away from Adelaide then.