Adelaide Parklands Alternative Vision

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
peachy
Gold-Member ;)

Adelaide Parklands Alternative Vision

#1 Post by peachy » Mon May 12, 2014 8:38 pm

Hi everyone,

Over the past few years I've been developing an alternative vision of what the Adelaide Parklands could become.

My ideas have mostly lived in my head but I've finally managed to get them down on 'paper' in the form of a website, which I thought to be the most efficient way to get my ideas across.

Please take a look and feel free to comment on this forum your thoughts.
https://sites.google.com/site/adelaideparklands2036/

Cheers
Peachy

ml69
Legendary Member!

Re: Adelaide Parklands Alternative Vision

#2 Post by ml69 » Mon May 12, 2014 10:35 pm

peachy wrote:Hi everyone,

Over the past few years I've been developing an alternative vision of what the Adelaide Parklands could become.

My ideas have mostly lived in my head but I've finally managed to get them down on 'paper' in the form of a website, which I thought to be the most efficient way to get my ideas across.

Please take a look and feel free to comment on this forum your thoughts.
https://sites.google.com/site/adelaideparklands2036/

Cheers
Peachy
Some absolutely fantastic ideas Peachy! I agree we need an entire parkland masterplan, which can then be prioritised, costed and developed.

Funding is going to be a major constraint, but like you I am very passionate that the parklands have the potential to be world famous. They are ripe for sympathetic development (which all your ideas are) and this really will make the Adelaide parklands unique in the world. Wouldn't it be great to have parklands where there are SO MANY things to do it could entertaint a tourist for days and days?

Your concepts show a lot of vision, but i think most (but not all) are very achievable. Certainly food for thought to get a conversation happening ....
Last edited by ml69 on Mon May 12, 2014 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by Phantom » Mon May 12, 2014 11:01 pm

Holy shit, dude! You made this? That's awesome!

I love the idea of having a BMX track boardwalk. I think that's absolutely brilliant. I definitely have a hard on for wooden boardwalks surrounded by trees, under a canopy created by those very same trees. The Immersion Rainforest from Adelaide Zoo is a great example of something similar done very right in my opinion. I'd absolutely love to see something like this actually incorporated into a real plan for Adelaide's future. I think maintaining the health of the parklands are vital to keeping Adelaide as unique as it is and this plan certainly does seem to do that rather nicely!

Once again, awesome site! I really hope some of these do happen!
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

peachy
Gold-Member ;)

#4 Post by peachy » Wed May 14, 2014 8:24 pm

ml69 wrote: Some absolutely fantastic ideas Peachy! I agree we need an entire parkland masterplan, which can then be prioritised, costed and developed.

Funding is going to be a major constraint, but like you I am very passionate that the parklands have the potential to be world famous. They are ripe for sympathetic development (which all your ideas are) and this really will make the Adelaide parklands unique in the world. Wouldn't it be great to have parklands where there are SO MANY things to do it could entertaint a tourist for days and days?

Your concepts show a lot of vision, but i think most (but not all) are very achievable. Certainly food for thought to get a conversation happening ....
Thanks ml69 and Phantom, it sounds like you took away all the messages I was hoping to convey. I guess with the funding issue it's the old chestnut of you've got to spend money to make money (through tourism). To create a circle of world famous parks that people want to travel to Adelaide to see is going to require serious investment. I actually met a Swedish couple in Lithuania once who had been to Adelaide the year before who loved spending a day cycling around the parklands in their current form. But I'm sure many tourists to Adelaide don't even make it to the parklands, when really the parklands should be the must see thing when visiting Adelaide as they are unique to our city.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by monotonehell » Thu May 15, 2014 9:18 am

Peachy, looks like you put a lot of work into that. A collection of good ideas, nicely organised.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#6 Post by Nort » Thu May 15, 2014 1:34 pm

These are exactly the types of developments the Parklands should be seeing, great work.

Waewick

#7 Post by Waewick » Fri May 30, 2014 7:32 pm

Cracking post well done

rhino

#8 Post by rhino » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:42 pm

Wow Peachy! Lots of great ideas, and fantastic vision! Your website needs to be seen by those who have more say than us in making these things happen. I hope Mr Yarwood has seen it for starters. Well done!
cheers,
Rhino

peachy
Gold-Member ;)

#9 Post by peachy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:05 pm

rhino wrote:Wow Peachy! Lots of great ideas, and fantastic vision! Your website needs to be seen by those who have more say than us in making these things happen. I hope Mr Yarwood has seen it for starters. Well done!
Yes I've tweeted all those on council that seemed to have twitter accounts as well as a few politicians and also emailed the Parklands Authority. But if anyone else wanted to tweet or facebook share to the Mayor or council, it would be good to show community support for the vision (or ideas like them). Or feel free just to facebook share with your friends.

Cheers

ml69
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by ml69 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:27 pm

peachy wrote:
rhino wrote:Wow Peachy! Lots of great ideas, and fantastic vision! Your website needs to be seen by those who have more say than us in making these things happen. I hope Mr Yarwood has seen it for starters. Well done!
Yes I've tweeted all those on council that seemed to have twitter accounts as well as a few politicians and also emailed the Parklands Authority. But if anyone else wanted to tweet or facebook share to the Mayor or council, it would be good to show community support for the vision (or ideas like them). Or feel free just to facebook share with your friends.

Cheers
Have you also tried the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure (DPTI)?

peachy
Gold-Member ;)

#11 Post by peachy » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:45 pm

I got asked to write a piece about my Parklands vision for the Adelaide Park Lands Preservation Association.

You can find the article at:
http://www.adelaide-parklands.org/pdfs/ ... r%20V2.pdf

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by pushbutton » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:02 am

Some good ideas. I'd also include the world's biggest adventure playground.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#13 Post by Wayno » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:41 pm

Anyone with a passion for improving amenity in the park lands should post to the ACC 'picture adelaide' forum asap. I think it closes in a few days:

http://discussions.pictureadelaide.com/ ... -richness?

Go for it!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

peachy
Gold-Member ;)

#14 Post by peachy » Tue May 19, 2015 3:18 pm

Wayno wrote:Anyone with a passion for improving amenity in the park lands should post to the ACC 'picture adelaide' forum asap. I think it closes in a few days:

http://discussions.pictureadelaide.com/ ... -richness?

Go for it!
As Wayno pointed out ACC is doing a large Parklands community consultation at the moment.

I've submitted many of the ideas presented in my vision and invite you to do the same.

I'd also like to ask those on Sen-Ad to 'like' my ideas on the council website (if you agree) to show the council there is wider community support. I would image those ideas with the most 'votes' will at least get looked into further to consider their feasability etc. Currently the most liked idea has 40 likes, and second and third is 21 and 20 a piece, so it doesn't take many people to make a difference.

Here is the link to the website: http://shape.adelaideparklands.com.au/ideas/gallery - my ideas are #648 to #656

I've also written pieces on the two council forums that are currently open that you can also like if you wish or contribute to.
http://discuss.adelaideparklands.com.au ... to-breathe
http://discuss.adelaideparklands.com.au ... and-beauty

Cheers
peachy