City to airport tramline

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Benm16
Gold-Member ;)

City to airport tramline

#1 Post by Benm16 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:31 pm

Hi all,
In my summer holidays I've orginised to go to brisbane. Since I'm a Uni student and a little poor ahaha I've decide that when I get to the brisbane airport I will take the train into the city rather than a taxi coz it'll be cheaper. With that in mind I realised that if young people wanted to come to adelaide and didn't want to take a taxi the only other opinion is the shitty bus. I think it would be great if we built a tram that went from Victoria square to the airport and up the old ramp that isn't in use anymore. This would result in easier travel to the city from the airport.

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: City to airport tramline

#2 Post by ghs » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:18 pm

Don't expect it to be cheap to catch the train from Brisbane airport.

You will probably find they will charge you an extra surcharge and it will cost you $20
or so. I know they do this in Sydney.

With Adelaide airport being so close to the city there's not so much need for a train line / tram line
to and from the city.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3 Post by Norman » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:03 pm

The tram line from the Airport to the city is in the plans at this stage, both in the long-term visions of the airport and the state government. And, yes, the Airtrain from Brisbane Airport is outrageously expensive.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#4 Post by neoballmon » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:17 pm

I think if they put in a tram line, it should go up Airport Drive and along Henley Beach Road/Glover Drive.

HBR has a lot more retail opportunities to stop at, to increase local patronage. As well as the Thebarton Theatre. The school opposite would also most likely benefit.
The only potential I can see that Sir Donald Bradman Drive would have is Santos Stadium, which with a HBR line, shuttle buses could go between the two at large events.

Excluding the small section of Henley Beach Road between Marion Road and Holbrooks Road, SDBD has a much higher traffic flow, so would be better keeping the trams to the quieter road, given the tracks will most likely be in vehicle lanes.

Once the line goes under the Bakewell Underpass, it could veer into the Parklands* south of the sporting ovals, and join to West Terrace at the Hindley Street intersection, and head north, to join onto the current line and continue on to Glenelg or just to the Southern Parklands, depending on demand. And possibly head west from West/North Tce's out to the Entertainment Centre.

*I don't know the technical limitations of whether a tram can actually merge from the right lane to the left to go into the parklands. Here is a potential solution for City-Bound Trams.I don't know the best way for an Airport-Bound tram though, without grade-separation.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

Ho Really

#5 Post by Ho Really » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:45 pm

Benm16 wrote:Hi all,
[...]
I think it would be great if we built a tram that went from Victoria square to the airport and up the old ramp that isn't in use anymore. This would result in easier travel to the city from the airport.
Hi Benm16, check out the thread: Adelaide Airport rail link.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Benm16
Gold-Member ;)

#6 Post by Benm16 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:41 pm

ghs wrote:Don't expect it to be cheap to catch the train from Brisbane airport.

You will probably find they will charge you an extra surcharge and it will cost you $20
or so. I know they do this in Sydney.

With Adelaide airport being so close to the city there's not so much need for a train line / tram line
to and from the city.

I've done my research and it's $20. That's pretty cheap since the cab would probably be around $60. And I completely disagree i With you. Even though the airport is close it'll still be expensive. I live 10 mins from the city and it's $30 by taxi and so I'm assuming it'll be the same if not more for the airport

ChillyPhilly

#7 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:07 am

I have a friend who lives in Melbourne and very frequently visits Sydney. On Friday-Saturday he was in Brisbane, and said he prefers their Airtrain to Sydney's equivalent.

I used Sydney's once, just under two years ago. It was a rip off for such a short distance (disembatked at Kings Cross).

You may also be interested in the proposals for a rail link to Tullamarine Airport in Melbourne - although that unnecessary and outrageous East-West Link has thrown the said proposals into jeopardy.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Benm16
Gold-Member ;)

#8 Post by Benm16 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:46 am

Just got back From,brisbane and the airtrain was so helpful. It was only $15 to get into the city and it only took 25 mins. So much cheaper and quicker than taking a taxi, wish the people of adelaide were smart enough to seek inspiration from other city rather than coming up with stupid ideas which dont work and make out city shit

MessiahAndrw
High Rise Poster!

#9 Post by MessiahAndrw » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:05 pm

Benm16 wrote:Just got back From,brisbane and the airtrain was so helpful. It was only $15 to get into the city and it only took 25 mins. So much cheaper and quicker than taking a taxi, wish the people of adelaide were smart enough to seek inspiration from other city rather than coming up with stupid ideas which dont work and make out city shit
That's great, but I wonder if airport employees that use public transport get discounted trips (standard PT fares) or are they paying $30 a day?
My blog on urban design: http://www.andrewalexanderprice.com/blog.php

Ho Really

Re: Adelaide Airport Hotel - | 25m | 8 levels | $50m

#10 Post by Ho Really » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:59 pm

Haven't seen the site plans but from the artist's impression it looks like this hotel will be wasting a lot of space by its diagonal position. I think the planners at the airport have little vision. The current plaza with gum trees is a waste of space. Perhaps the hotel should have been built there in between the car park and the terminal. The ground and first floors could've incorporated more concourse space, shops and eateries, etc., as in a covered mall. This would have also opened up the area where the current hotel will be built for a light rail terminal above ground accessing the hotel, departures and arrivals. The light rail would be a direct line to the city using the Keswick drain (and not run as a tram on Airport and Henley Beach Roads). So much potential I think wasted. As for the ramp it's a pity we gave into fear. Changi Airport in Singapore, the world's best airport, has roads servicing all their terminals. Go figure.

Cheers

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#11 Post by Norman » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:43 am

To be honest, I like the open feel of the plaza. It gives a sense of space when you arrive, unlike Sydney and Melbourne airports. And a tram down Keswick drain would be a waste of money. Other options such as Henley Beach Road would be far better value in money, development and connectivity terms.
Last edited by Norman on Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChillyPhilly

#12 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:24 am

I'm with Norm - Kingsford Smith and Tullamarine both feel congested to me on arrival.

The ramp was no longer practical with the new footbridges connecting carpark and terminal; it would have been difficult with both in operation.

I'm not too fussed with how the airport is developed in the near future, but do have two humble wishes:

- Greatly improved public transport access and connectivity (as close to the doorstep as possible, not a laughable shelter hundreds of metres away).
- An improved drop-off/pick-up zone.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Ho Really

#13 Post by Ho Really » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:23 am

The area I'm talking about can still be open but it would be undercover. It would be more impressive than what we currently have. Surely if you want to experience the heat, rain and open areas with gums trees you can go where they grow naturally. This whole plaza could be something really special if covered in a steel and glass canopy. The hotel would also gain an impressive atrium. To get a small idea take a look at what they're building at Changi. The hotel is not part of that project but we could combine ours to it.

The light rail down the Keswick drain would not be a waste of money. It would be a direct route from the city to the airport with a station on the line north-south in the area of Mile End. You can add two more stops at Marion and South Roads if you wish. There's also an option this could be taken underground into the city at the West Parklands. If kept to the bare minimum without the underground section, it would not cost any more than laying tracks down a narrow and highly trafficked road as Henley Beach. It would also be built much quicker. A project like this added to the hotel, airport terminal extensions, offices and the possible covered plaza would make Adelaide Airport the best in Oz. If you don't think big and out of the box you don't get recognition. Anyhow my wasted :2cents: worth.

The Henley Beach tram can still do its business. City to the beach.

Cheers

P.S. ChillyPhilly, yes the shelter 100 metres away will be laughable. They'll be very impressive to those coming from abroad. And imagine how long it would take airport commuters to and from the city with a tram on Henley Beach Road full of locals.

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#14 Post by fishinajar » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:45 pm

Norman wrote:...And a tram down Keswick drain would be a waste of money...
Ho Really wrote:...The light rail down the Keswick drain would not be a waste of money. It would be a direct route from the city to the airport with a station on the line north-south in the area of Mile End. You can add two more stops at Marion and South Roads if you wish. There's also an option this could be taken underground into the city at the West Parklands. If kept to the bare minimum without the underground section, it would not cost any more than laying tracks down a narrow and highly trafficked road as Henley Beach. It would also be built much quicker...
Is there a concept/thread you guys are referring too?

How would such a line enter the city other than under, through or over West Tce cemetery?

My personal preference would still be for a line via Henley Beach Road for a multitude of reasons. A much nicer entrance for interstate/national visitors for one.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#15 Post by rev » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:31 am

fishinajar wrote:
Norman wrote:...And a tram down Keswick drain would be a waste of money...
Ho Really wrote:...The light rail down the Keswick drain would not be a waste of money. It would be a direct route from the city to the airport with a station on the line north-south in the area of Mile End. You can add two more stops at Marion and South Roads if you wish. There's also an option this could be taken underground into the city at the West Parklands. If kept to the bare minimum without the underground section, it would not cost any more than laying tracks down a narrow and highly trafficked road as Henley Beach. It would also be built much quicker...
Is there a concept/thread you guys are referring too?

How would such a line enter the city other than under, through or over West Tce cemetery?

My personal preference would still be for a line via Henley Beach Road for a multitude of reasons. A much nicer entrance for interstate/national visitors for one.
From the terminal/hotel you'd follow the northern boundary of the airport leading onto the drain, following the drain all the way to James Congdon Drive, where you would head north east towards Sir Donald Bradman Drive, then you would go right, up over the bridge and straight into Grote Street and connect to the existing tram line running through Victoria Square.
The more sensible option is to go down Henley Beach Road all the way to Henley Beach, and a short run off at Airport Drive to the airport. That way it services a popular beach, and several eateries/pubs along the route, which could also help spur an increase in further businesses of that type.
What's along the drain route? Nothing.
A stop at Marion Road, are you going to have a park and ride facility? Where are you going to build it? What's there to justify a stop there? The council depot?
Similarly with a stop on south road along the drain route..what's there to justify a stop there? Nothing.
It literally would be a line with mostly nothing either end of the airport and city. It's a good idea though for a direct 'express' route, as at least half of it would be without having to stop at intersections.