Relocate Flinders University to the CBD.

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Relocate Flinders University to the CBD.

#16 Post by monotonehell » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:42 pm

Aidan wrote:...But if Flinders Uni needs an additional large campus in the City, the best place for it would be beneath Veale Gardens and Lundie Gardens. Other than entrances, the few surface buildings needed could go on the north side of South Terrace...
What is your fascination with subterranean infrastructure? Admit it - you're really a Bond Villain! :banana:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#17 Post by rev » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:50 pm

monotonehell wrote:
rev wrote:It is each individuals CHOICE where they go to university.
It really isn't. Students pick three options, their first, second and third preferences. The universities then accept or refuse the students based on assessment criteria and number of positions they have and make offers. Only the top X% of students get their first preference. So if a student wants to do medicine for example they might pick first Flinders, then Adelaide, then UniSA. After the offers come out they may only have the option of UniSA.
It really is.
Don't pick a university in the southern suburbs if you live in the northern suburbs and don't want to travel that far.
Instead of partying on weekends and worrying about bullshit, maybe kids should worry about their futures a little more and focus on doing the best they can so they can have the best chance of getting in to the uni of their choice.
Again Mono, it comes down to choices.

You can choose to fuck around in your final years of high school, or you can choose to take it seriously.

We all have choices. Like I have the choice right now to sit at home and get drunk, or go out and get drunk.
One choice will cost me more, one will make my life easier. Both will leave me with regrets in the morning.
Choices. :P

thejoebloggsblog
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#18 Post by thejoebloggsblog » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:23 pm

pushbutton wrote:I went to Flanders University. Its current location is absolutely perfect!

Sorry but all the locations you suggested it could be in the cbd are completely unsuitable. In particular, your comment that cemeteries are a waste of space is very offensive to anyone who has lost loved ones. You'll no doubt realise that when it inevitably happens to you one day.
They are a waste of space and I have relatives in them. Once someone has been dead for 100 years no one revisits them.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#19 Post by ml69 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:55 pm

thejoebloggsblog wrote:
pushbutton wrote:I went to Flanders University. Its current location is absolutely perfect!

Sorry but all the locations you suggested it could be in the cbd are completely unsuitable. In particular, your comment that cemeteries are a waste of space is very offensive to anyone who has lost loved ones. You'll no doubt realise that when it inevitably happens to you one day.
They are a waste of space and I have relatives in them. Once someone has been dead for 100 years no one revisits them.
That is the most ridiculous and insensitive comment I've read for a long time.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#20 Post by Phantom » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:09 pm

thejoebloggsblog wrote:

You do realise that they are on 99 year leases? They eventually get recycled and replaced. If they didn't, then we'd have cemeteries growing in size at an alarming rate.

I'm all for developing over the train lines on the western side of the Morphett St bridge and a University extension wouldn't be a bad idea, but I feel as though that would be better if it were UniSA or Adelaide Uni over Flinders.
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#21 Post by Aidan » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:31 am

Mono, back when the only thing I knew about 007 was that if you turned it upside down it spelled LOO, I was very impressed with the London Underground, including the way its stations were directly connected to some of the buildings.

And consider the requirements of a university: lots of space is needed, particularly over not too many levels. But external windows are not needed and usually not wanted.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#22 Post by monotonehell » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:28 pm

rev wrote:It really is.
Don't pick a university in the southern suburbs if you live in the northern suburbs and don't want to travel that far.
Instead of partying on weekends and worrying about bullshit, maybe kids should worry about their futures a little more and focus on doing the best they can so they can have the best chance of getting in to the uni of their choice.

You can choose to fuck around in your final years of high school, or you can choose to take it seriously.

We all have choices. Like I have the choice right now to sit at home and get drunk, or go out and get drunk.
One choice will cost me more, one will make my life easier. Both will leave me with regrets in the morning.
While there's some truth to that, the "kids" are not only competing against themselves, they are competing against all the other applicants, and the universities' restrictions on number of places. An arbitrary line gets drawn, everyone below that is refused an offer.

Yes, don't fuck about in high school, do the best you can. But that alone isn't enough to get both your first preference for course and campus. Which course you do is more important than what campus you study it at, therefore you don't always get to chose where you go. And we are talking about those who did work hard in high school - the ones who fucked about don't even get an offer.

rev

#23 Post by rev » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:28 am

monotonehell wrote:
rev wrote:It really is.

While there's some truth to that, the "kids" are not only competing against themselves, they are competing against all the other applicants, and the universities' restrictions on number of places. An arbitrary line gets drawn, everyone below that is refused an offer.

Yes, don't fuck about in high school, do the best you can. But that alone isn't enough to get both your first preference for course and campus. Which course you do is more important than what campus you study it at, therefore you don't always get to chose where you go. And we are talking about those who did work hard in high school - the ones who fucked about don't even get an offer.
I don't know anyone, not family nor friends, who didn't get into the uni of their choice.

rev

#24 Post by rev » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:34 am

thejoebloggsblog wrote: They are a waste of space and I have relatives in them. Once someone has been dead for 100 years no one revisits them.
Do you even visit your dead relatives now?

I'd hate to be related to you. You'd probably throw your dead relatives out with the weekly garbage if it was up to you.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#25 Post by pushbutton » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:50 am

If you don't get a university offer at the end of year 12, just have a gap year or two, do a bit of casual work during that time, then apply directly to the university you want. No need to bother about SATAC. You get in under completely different criteria once you're a few years older. That criteria is very simple. You just get the university to like you and persuade them you're a worthwhile candidate!

That's what I did and it worked for me!

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#26 Post by Aidan » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:58 pm

pushbutton wrote:If you don't get a university offer at the end of year 12, just have a gap year or two, do a bit of casual work during that time, then apply directly to the university you want. No need to bother about SATAC. You get in under completely different criteria once you're a few years older. That criteria is very simple. You just get the university to like you and persuade them you're a worthwhile candidate!

That's what I did and it worked for me!
When did it work for you? Because when I applied to enter uni I had to sit the STAT (which was administered by SATAC) and then SATAC handled the admissions process.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#27 Post by monotonehell » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:03 pm

rev wrote:I don't know anyone, not family nor friends, who didn't get into the uni of their choice.
Rev, that's an anecdote.

In recent years, around a quarter of applicants do not get an offer.
http://ap.satac.edu.au/satac/pubstats/p ... able23.htm

MessiahAndrw
High Rise Poster!

#28 Post by MessiahAndrw » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:18 am

pushbutton wrote:I went to Flanders University.
My blog on urban design: http://www.andrewalexanderprice.com/blog.php

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#29 Post by pushbutton » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:09 am

Okily dokily!

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#30 Post by pushbutton » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:16 am

Aidan it was mid 90s and to be honest I did miss out an important part of the process in my earlier post. I moved back to England and applied to a university there.

The university invited me to an interview, and offered me a place.

I did the first year of an honours degree there then moved back here. From there it was fairly straightforward to get Ned to let me complete the last two years.

I dare say being a leftorino may have helped persuade him!