Something needs to be done at the Cormack Rd rail crossing

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Goodsy
Legendary Member!

Something needs to be done at the Cormack Rd rail crossing

#1 Post by Goodsy » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:49 pm

I'm talking about this crossing here

Passenger trains are fine for the most part and only back up traffic for 30 seconds or so, but atleast once a week a freight train will roll through right at rush hour. Now the problem with the freight trains is that they are going into the depot so the front half of the train gets through the crossing at a decent speed and then it slows to a crawl, and I'm talking no faster than 5kph for the last half of the train.

If you're lucky to be at the front of the queue it's fine but some mornings I'm stuck way back at the Dry Creek depot, which is about a kilometer away from the crossing. I wouldn't be surprised if it's been backed up to Port Wakefield road.

And this problem isn't limited to mornings, this also happens around quitting time as well with traffic backing up on Cormack Road

My idea would be an overpass.

I get it isnt a major arterial road, but it's still a pain in the ass

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Something needs to be done at the Cormack Rd rail crossi

#2 Post by Norman » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:00 pm

I would say that a simple overpass over the rail lines would be sufficient, that proposal above would cost too much in terms of property acquisition. Most trucks would probably be using the Salisbury Highway/Northern Connector anyway.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#3 Post by Goodsy » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:10 pm

Norman wrote:I would say that a simple overpass over the rail lines would be sufficient, that proposal above would cost too much in terms of property acquisition. Most trucks would probably be using the Salisbury Highway/Northern Connector anyway.
How could you make the overpass any simpler? there isn't much room. And as it stands now it's mostly commuter traffic backing up

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#4 Post by rev » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:18 pm

How about lowering that section of railway so it goes under?
There's plenty of empty land next to it to make a temporary track.

I doubt the traffic volumes would warrant the government spending money on it though.
It would be nice and in an ideal world these sorts of small lower priority jobs would get done as well.