Discussion: Development of Adelaide Railyards

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Development on Westend railyards

#271 Post by monotonehell » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:10 pm

Howie wrote:From what I understand, the schools didn't have a clue about the Marj, and heard about it like everyone else did, through the news (edit: did someone say 'consultation'?). So they've been scurrying around trying to get accommodation for this imminent move. Nothing has been set in concrete, and it's not certain that there is any space in the new Marj. And by looking at the latest renders, I still don't see a purpose built building for any of the schools. So would they be moving into a new building on say North Terrace? Who knows at this stage.
Waaaayyy back when, I was lead to believe that the upper levels of the Marj were for all the organisations ancillary to the hospital (IMVS, the schools etc etc). The more (non)information that comes out seems to say otherwise.

I'd really like for ALL the facts to come out into the public -- because all we, and the media, and others, are working on is hearsay.

Until all the facts come out I'm not going to side with whatever camp somewhat aligns with whatever my views are. I think the entire SA public have allowed themselves to be swayed one way or the other by the great tide of useless rhetoric that's coming from all positions on the matter.

I'm still sticking to my original position; we need new hospital facilities, but they don't need to be on the railyards site. They can be on the existing RAH site, but there'll be a LOT of expensive disruption.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#272 Post by mattblack » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:53 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Howie wrote:From what I understand, the schools didn't have a clue about the Marj, and heard about it like everyone else did, through the news (edit: did someone say 'consultation'?). So they've been scurrying around trying to get accommodation for this imminent move. Nothing has been set in concrete, and it's not certain that there is any space in the new Marj. And by looking at the latest renders, I still don't see a purpose built building for any of the schools. So would they be moving into a new building on say North Terrace? Who knows at this stage.
Waaaayyy back when, I was lead to believe that the upper levels of the Marj were for all the organisations ancillary to the hospital (IMVS, the schools etc etc). The more (non)information that comes out seems to say otherwise.

I'd really like for ALL the facts to come out into the public -- because all we, and the media, and others, are working on is hearsay.

Until all the facts come out I'm not going to side with whatever camp somewhat aligns with whatever my views are. I think the entire SA public have allowed themselves to be swayed one way or the other by the great tide of useless rhetoric that's coming from all positions on the matter.

I'm still sticking to my original position; we need new hospital facilities, but they don't need to be on the railyards site. They can be on the existing RAH site, but there'll be a LOT of expensive disruption.

WISE WORDS !!!!

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#273 Post by bm7500 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:59 am

Here we go again....
Report proposes 100,000 seat city stadium

EXCLUSIVE: THE State Government is sitting on a report which recommends building a centrally located sports stadium that seats up to 100,000 people.

The report, commissioned by Sports Minister Michael Wright in 2006, is believed to have gone to the Cabinet without any subsequent action being taken.
The review of the state's sporting infrastructure, obtained by the Liberals under Freedom of Information laws, also recommends the building of a 15,000-seat indoor stadium to attract international netball or basketball championships.

The Government insists the report remains a working document but has maintained staunch opposition to a new city stadium in the face of ongoing public support.

New swimming, cycling and baseball facilities also are recommended "to maintain SA's competitive advantage", but the report's biggest-ticket item is a centrally located stadium.

"To be able to host events such as (the) Commonwealth Games and FIFA World Cup a stadium must be developed that caters for spectator capacity of at least 80,000 (up to 100,000) and be able to be configured to host a variety of activities," the report states.

Location is given as a key principle for all sporting developments, although the report does not specify a place for a new stadium other than being "as close as possible to public transport hubs, car parks, suitable accommodation, retail shopping and entertainment" facilities.

The most obvious location with all these features is central Adelaide.

Mr Wright's spokeswoman said she understood the report, prepared by the Office for Recreation and Sport, had gone to the Cabinet but she did not specify the timing or outcome.

"It is a working document that is continually updated in relation to SA's sporting infrastructure," Mr Wright says in a statement. "The sporting landscape in SA changes continually, which is why the document remains a work in progress."

The report was based on consultation with sporting groups and councils from August 2006, only five months after Melbourne hosted the Commonwealth Games, and was completed in April 2007 – eight months before Milan AC won the FIFA Club World Championships in Japan.

It points to the tourism and lifestyle benefits of elite facilities but "does not imply any delivery commitment from either government or the private sector".

It leaves open the possibility of a privately funded stadium. It also leaves open the possibility of a Government-funded capital project or a public-private partnership.

Opposition Leader Martin Hamilton-Smith said his party's policy was vindicated by the documents.

"The Government reports reinforce what the State Liberals have been saying for more than a year. That is, SA desperately needs a world-class sporting stadium."

The State Government deferred its $100 million commitment to upgrade AAMI Stadium in December because the global financial crisis had cut state revenues.

The Opposition last year painted a vision of a new multipurpose city stadium to rejuvenate Adelaide's west, but the plan was savaged by Mr Rann, who vowed to fund instead the $1.7 billion Marjorie Jackson-Nelson Hospital.

The Labor Government has since argued the 2010 state election would be a debate over "the stadium versus the hospital".

Adelaide people remain strongly in favour of a new stadium. More than 85 per cent of the 1922 votes that were cast in an AdelaideNow poll last October favoured a new top-line sporting venue.

The report lists the proposed stadium as a "long-term" priority, which it says means building should start by 2020. But the report also lists the following "high priority" projects to be started by 2010:

A NEW aquatic centre, which the Government last week announced it would take over from the private sector.

A NEW professional cycling track to be located either at the State Sports Park at Gepps Cross or within Victoria Park.

A STATE baseball centre and a soccer training centre.

RUSSELL EMMERSON http://www.adelaidenow.com.au
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#274 Post by omada » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:08 pm

FFS this thread is like TV, its always there, but I have now closen to tune out.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#275 Post by Brando » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:20 pm

'Marj' hospital name dropped
THE Rann Government has dropped the Marjorie Jackson-Nelson name from its new hospital, blaming "personal" attacks on the former Governor for the decision.

The new hospital, to be built over the railway yards at the west end of the city, will retain the Royal Adelaide Hospital name.

Premier Mike Rann announced the backdown in a ministerial statement to Parliament - a move which provoked uproar with Government MPs hurling abuse at the Liberals and one Liberal MP labelling Mr Rann "gutless".

Mr Rann said Mrs Jackson-Nelson had visited him on Friday last week asking that her name be taken off the project.

"I think that is incredibly sad," he said.

Mr Rann said the Opposition attacks on the hospital being named after Mrs Jackson-Nelson had been shameful.

"No one could have anticipated the vitriol of members of the Liberal Party towards this great Australian," he said.

"But some of the attacks have been deeply personal, aimed at Marjorie and her contribution, rather than simply at our choice of her name for the new hospital."

Mr Rann said there had been "personal as well as poisonous" attacks on the former Governor over her name being attached to the hospital. He said it was "shameful as well as shallow".

The Government has come under increasing pressure over the new hospital in recent months with medical groups opposing the move to replace the RAH.

There has also been opposition from nursing groups and former health executives who have said while they support the new hospital they believed it should retain the RAH name.

Mr Rann said he was sure that the vast majority of South Australians would share his disappointment that the comments of a small but vocal minority had contributed to stopping this dedication to "a woman who has given so much to our community over the course of her life".

"Work is already underway on the new site and construction of the new hospital will start next year," he said.

"The new hospital - with the same name - will open in seven years' time."

nimeton
Gold-Member ;)

#276 Post by nimeton » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:23 pm

Brando wrote:
'Marj' hospital name dropped
Premier Mike Rann announced the backdown in a ministerial statement to Parliament

Ministerial Statement
Premier Mike Rann
Minister for Economic Development
Minister for Social Inclusion
Minister for the Arts
Minister for Sustainability and Climate Change
Wednesday, 18 February 2009
MARJORIE JACKSON-NELSON HOSPITAL
Mr Speaker, in June 2007 I announced that this Government will build a new hospital for all South Australians, to be opened in 2016.
This new $1.7 billion central facility will provide state-of-the-art infrastructure for patients and staff, and will launch medical care in this State into the 21st Century.
It will contain single-bed patient rooms with en-suites, which provide the best environment to avoid the scourge of modern-day health facilities – hospital-born infections.
It will be bigger than the current Royal Adelaide Hospital, with an expanded capacity in its emergency department and intensive care unit.
It will have more operating theatres, and theatres that are larger in order to accommodate the most modern equipment for a 21st Century hospital.
This new central hospital will be Australia’s leading hospital, providing all South Australians with the very best facilities and health care.
At the time of the announcement, I also revealed that the hospital would bear the name of Marjorie Jackson-Nelson, a beloved former Governor of South Australia.
Marjorie Jackson-Nelson is an Australian legend, and a revered Olympian.
She had won two Olympic gold medals, seven Commonwealth Games Gold medals and became the first Australian woman to win Olympic gold in athletics.
She set 13 world records and, in doing so, she massively boosted the profile and success of women’s athletics in Australia.
Last year in Beijing, she was bestowed with the International Olympic Committee’s highest honour – the Olympic Order - in recognition of a lifetime of maintaining the Olympic ideal internationally in all that she does
But this is not the only reason why we chose to name the hospital after her.
Marjorie Jackson-Nelson has been massively involved in fundraising for medical research for the past 32 years.
Her commitment began when – as a young wife and mother – she supported her husband, former Olympic cyclist Peter Nelson, in his long battle against leukaemia.
Following his death in 1977, and inspired by her husband’s struggle, she formed the Peter Nelson Leukaemia Research Fellowship to raise much-needed funds for cancer research.
She was determined to make a real and lasting difference in the fight against this disease that affects so many lives.
For more than three decades, she has been committed, selfless and tireless in her support for the work of researchers in finding a cure for cancer.
She has led a small group of volunteers who have raised $5 million, and which last year appointed their ninth researcher at the Hanson Centre for Cancer Research.
Marjorie Jackson-Nelson was appointed Governor of South Australia by former Premier, John Olsen.
She was sworn in at the time of Rob Kerin’s premiership, and she served in the Vice-Regal position with distinction for six years.
She has received Australia’s highest honour, the Companion of the Order of Australia, and during our nation’s Bicentenary celebrations she was named as one of only 20 living members of the “200 Great Australians”.
She has also been inducted into the International Women’s Hall of Fame in New York.
Naming South Australia’s new central hospital in her honour was a much-deserved accolade for a woman of such integrity, grace and who has contributed so much to public life in South Australia over so many decades.
However, the subsequent reaction to this decision was decidedly mixed.
It has ranged from strong support to some entirely negative commentary that has been deeply disappointing, and more than a little puzzling.
As I understand, there was no similar vitriol when the Playford Government named the major new hospital in our northern suburbs after the politician who established it, the former Health Minister, Lyell McEwin.
I cannot recall hearing snide remarks when the Roma Mitchell Performing Arts Centre, the Roma Mitchell Building or the Mitchell Oration were named after another wonderful and much-respected Governor, Dame Roma Mitchell.
No one argues with the public’s right to criticise government. There are no qualms about the merits of publicly debating the choice of the new hospital’s name.
That’s democracy in action.
But some of the attacks have been deeply personal, aimed at Marjorie and her contribution, rather than simply at our choice of her name for the new hospital.
Some of it was, of course, political and totally partisan.
Some of it was personal as well as poisonous; shameful as well as shallow, by people who will be long forgotten while Marjorie Jackson-Nelson’s reputation remains untarnished.
I will not lend undeserved credibility to that commentary by repeating it here today.
But I remind Members of the contribution made by the Member for Bragg, the Opposition’s spokesperson for Health, who said on June 12 2007, “You know, my husband died of cancer and I didn’t expect the Government to ring me and say, well we’ll name this the Vickie Chapman Memorial Hospital.”
Given these regrettable personal attacks, it is understandable that Mrs Jackson-Nelson has asked me that the hospital project proceed without the dedication in her name to avoid, in her words, controversy continuing about a project that can only benefit South Australia.
She has also respectfully declined the opportunity to honour her contribution to South Australia in some other way.
This is very disappointing but, of course, we respect and understand her wishes.
She remains one of our nation’s greatest athletes, one of our most inspirational volunteers, and one of our State’s most respected Governors and one of Australia’s most beloved citizens.
I am sure that the vast majority of South Australians will share my disappointment that the comments of a small but vocal minority have contributed to stopping this dedication to a woman who has given so much to our community over the course of her life.
As a result, I can now advise that the new hospital will retain the name The Royal Adelaide Hospital.
Work is already underway on the new site, and construction of the new hospital will start next year.
The new hospital – with the same name – will open in seven years time.
More importantly than anything, South Australians will have access to a new hospital that provides more beds, increased capacity, significantly improved infection control.
Mr Speaker, the hospital will be dedicated to those millions of patients who will benefit from it.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#277 Post by Brando » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:11 pm

Sorry guys, i searched every thread, bar 'infrastructure' to place the name change article. If you wish to discuss the name please keep it relegated to the following link:

http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... &start=405

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#278 Post by skyliner » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:40 pm

So glad they changed the name. 'Royal Adelaide' already has a respected tradition which will carry over - IF this is built. BTW - Nothing against Marjorie Jackson Nelson herself. Interesting to read of all the reactions. Changing names costs money as well - I thought that was a relevant issue at present. Retaining 'Royal Adelaide' could be seen as an effective cost cutting measure without medical loss.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#279 Post by Cruise » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:15 pm

If they actually build such a large stadium, i will eat my hat

deano91
High Rise Poster!

#280 Post by deano91 » Sun May 17, 2009 11:19 pm

Interesting:
SA Health and Medical Research Institute centre ready by 2012
Article from: The Advertiser

JILL PENGELLEY

May 18, 2009 12:01am

THE State Government is moving swiftly to break ground on a $200 million research institute on North Terrace.

Funding for the centre, to be built next to the new Royal Adelaide Hospital, was announced in the Federal Budget on Tuesday.

Next week, the Government will advertise nationally and internationally for a design team for the project.

The flagship research centre will become the headquarters for the new SA Health and Medical Research Institute and will house up to 675 researchers.

The building will measure 25,000sqm, with 20,000sqm of pure research space.

"City West will be Adelaide's healthcare hub, with research, education and clinical care working side by side," said Health Minister John Hill. "The construction of the research facility is the first step in the delivery of Adelaide's new hospital and research precinct."

Mr Hill said site works are expected to start early next year and he hoped building would be complete by 2012.

The institute will bring together researchers from smaller existing institutes, which will continue to operate as satellites.

SA Scientist of the Year Professor John Hopwood said he had been embarrassed by a shortage of research space when hosting international visitors.

The state's success attracting competitive grant funding had dwindled in recent years and he hoped the new institute would reverse the trend.

"It's a real tragedy that this hasn't happened sooner," he said.

"I'm so thrilled to think . . . this institute is going to get off the ground very smartly and we can stop the rot," he said.

Save the RAH chairman Dr Jim Katsaros said the institute should be built in the Frome Rd precinct, where high-level researchers were based.

"It's an empty shell looking for quality people and quality people will not go there," he said.

"This building is in the middle of no where."

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#281 Post by Shuz » Mon May 18, 2009 10:04 am

Where will this be located relative to the proposed New RAH building?

ozisnowman
High Rise Poster!

#282 Post by ozisnowman » Mon May 18, 2009 11:59 am

Although i would like to see a new hospital and research institute i reckon that it is totally out of place over the
western railyards. This area as agreed by many would be the best place for a Stadium, Entertainment precint
and the moving of interstate railline into Adelaide.

We should change our state slogan to LAND OF MISSED OPPORTUNITIES because the policies of this
state time and time again miss opportunities with silly political decisions.

deano91
High Rise Poster!

#283 Post by deano91 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:03 pm

As stated in the RAH rebuild thread, the Government are now asking for expressions of interest to build the new RAH. While I'd rather have something other than a hospital built on this site, it's good to see that the Government are taking a very active approach by advertising in newspapers all around the country. Here's the article from the Advertiser:

Anyone want to build the new RAH?

Article from: The Advertiser

June 11, 2009 11:47am

THE State Government has called for expressions of interest from the private sector to build the new $1.7 billion Royal Adelaide Hospital.

Advertisements appeared nationally in newspapers today inviting submissions from groups to design, construct, commission and finance the new facility.

Health Minister John Hill said the government was expecting strong interest from potential bidders.

He said a number of major consortia had already formed in anticipation of the public call for expressions of interest.

peachy
Gold-Member ;)

#284 Post by peachy » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:37 pm

Probably of interest to followers of this thread, as you are probably pro keeping the RAH on current site, thus freeing up the railyards for an entertainment precinct:
(sorry if you read this on another thread as ive replicated the message on a few related topics, just skip it as they are all worded the same)

The Save the RAH Action Group is holding a public sausage sizzle in Rundle Park (end of rundle st, where garden of unearthly delights is held for the fringe).
It is on Sunday 21st June (this sunday coming) at 11am until 2pm. According to the website it will have invited speakers Vickie Chapman MP(Opposition Heath spokesman), Senator Nick Xenophon and Mark Parnell MLC. Health Minister John hill was invited but unfortunately unable to attend.

I think by rocking up is probably the best way (and cheap/easy) to send Rann the message that the railyard RAH is not supported by the community, both medical professional and wider public. With a liberal, independent and green (Parnell) it would appear to be a cross party gathering so don't be put off if you think it will be a liberal rally, thus, hopefully accessible even for labor supporters who still disagree with this one policy.
Writing on forums like Sen-Ad is great to develop my own views and hear other's points of view, but i know ive always been interested in doing something like attending this to actively show my support and am guessing there are also others on the site who share this ambition. Its clear (especially in adelaide) that interest groups (for better and worst) can sway the political process, so might as well use this often harmful tool to progression for an act of good (IMO). If there is a big crowd its going to make the news and get further towards page 1 in the tiser, thus it will be harder for Rann to spin. If there is a poor turn out, i guess the public does support the new railyard RAH and this is how the gov will interpret it.

All this info i found on their website, http://www.saverah.com.au. There is more info on the site also and you can join the site to show your support (get their membership number up) and then get emailed news updates.
See you Sunday.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#285 Post by UrbanSG » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:13 am

Not sure where to post this, with other similar threads being locked. The Casino is still planning to move and it is likely they would construct a new hotel as well.

I would have thought somewhere between the Convention Centre and the new hospital would be a likely position (interesting mix of gambling and hospital care) or maybe something around the existing Casino. It will be interesting to see what happens.

From adelaidenow:
Casino recorts 42 per cent profit leap
MEREDITH BOOTH
August 20, 2009 12:01am

THE new management team at Adelaide's SkyCity Casino has gambled - and won.

Defying the global financial crisis, the North Terrace site's annual earnings jumped 42 per cent to $29.4 million at June 30.

More than two million visitors were drawn by the growing popularity of table games such as baccarat, poker and roulette, responsible for most of the growth. Management hired 50 extra full-time croupiers, bar and restaurant staff, which helped contribute to the result.

"There are more tables open more often and we've improved the customer experience with tables," SkyCity Adelaide general manager David Christian said.

Adelaide was the "standout" of six complexes in New Zealand and Australia owned by Auckland-based parent SkyCity Entertainment Group. Its overall net annual profit was up 13 per cent at $94.2 million.

Mr Christian said the strong earnings were due to a mix of cost-cutting and a 10 per cent rise in revenue, to $130.6 million during the year.

The Adelaide team hired 130 new workers, or 50 full-time equivalents, and spent more on marketing and the sponsorship of events such as the Adelaide Fringe and the Adelaide Cup.

But the casino was still planning to move out of its heritage-listed site above the Adelaide Railway Station in the next two to three years and had begun talks with the State Government on possible sites.

"We don't have any more room for non-gaming facilities.

"We'd like to have a couple of good themed bars and restaurants but we just don't have the room," Mr Christian said.

Looking to this year, Mr Christian said the casino could not sustain the 75 per cent earnings growth it experienced in the six months to June 30 – to $15 million – but would climb at least 10 per cent above July to December 31, 2008.