New Stadium for Perth

Discussion on developments interstate and overseas.
ReallyBad
High Rise Poster!

Re: New Stadium for Perth

#16 Post by ReallyBad » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:16 pm

From NineMSN
Perth gets go-ahead for new stadium
Tuesday Dec 18 20:55 AEDT
AFL chief Andrew Demetriou has helped break a deadlock on the development of a new 60,000-seat stadium in Perth.

The government has indicated it wants to build a new $850 million stadium at either Kitchener Park or East Perth, but the West Australian Football Commission has said it preferred the refurbishment of Subiaco Oval.

A deal was finally brokered after a day-long meeting on Tuesday that included Mr Demetriou, WA Sports Minister John Kobelke and WA Football Commissioner Neale Fong, ending months of stalemate.

The Football Commission agreed in principle to relinquish its lease on Subiaco Oval, clearing the way for the development of the new stadium.

Mr Demetriou and Mr Kobelke said it had been agreed the best solution was to build a new multi-purpose stadium, giving the AFL priority use.

"We all support the building of a 60,000-seat stadium in this state and we all support the fact that football won't be worse off, " Mr Demetriou told reporters.

To alleviate the WA Football Commission's concern that it would lose revenue if it had to relocate to a new stadium, the government has agreed to recompense it for any losses under the deal.

"We've been able to assure football in Western Australia, both the clubs and the Football Commission and grassroots football, that it will not be worse off through the construction of a major stadium," Mr Kobelke said.

The state government will decide on the location of the new stadium.
Studied Civil Engineering - graduated 1995 - now working in IT.

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#17 Post by Düsseldorfer » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:04 pm

Ok i think $850 million is a bit too much for a stadium like that. I have seen lots of Football arena's that look far more impressive than that render for the stadium in Perth and that are way bigger and grander, and costed a lot less to build. Some of the best football arena's (they are called arena's because lots have roofs that can close) i have seen are listed below with a wikipedia url.

The new stadium in perth will cost $850 million to build and will have 60,000 seats

The Allianz arena in Munich costed $570 million (in AUD) to build and has and has 65000 seats and can hold close to 70000 people standing for concerts

The Veltins arena in Gelsenkirchen costed $321 million and it has around 60000 seats

The Stadium of France costed $477 million and has 80,000 seats

Veltins Arena: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veltins_Arena

Stadium of France: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stade_de_France

Allianz Arena: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allianz_Arena

If Adelaide got $850million to build a stadium, i'd expect it to have over 80,000 seats and a retractable roof...and btw, when its got a roof its called an Arena not a dome, Telstra...

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#18 Post by Omicron » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:54 am

Marble bathrooms and gold-plated fittings, perhaps?

Still, it's hard to know where all the costs are going until a full plan has been presented, and the entirety of the spectator facilities are known.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#19 Post by Cruise » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:11 am

Omicron wrote:Marble bathrooms and gold-plated fittings, perhaps?

Still, it's hard to know where all the costs are going until a full plan has been presented, and the entirety of the spectator facilities are known.
for that price the spectator faclities better include a private limo for all 60,000 fans

Omicron

#20 Post by Omicron » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:38 am

Cruise wrote:
Omicron wrote:Marble bathrooms and gold-plated fittings, perhaps?

for that price the spectator faclities better include a private limo for all 60,000 fans
Make mine this Cadillac Fleetwood, and we'll be set. 8)

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#21 Post by Norman » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:56 pm

From the weekend:

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#22 Post by timtam20292 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:35 am

Wow I really love that!

[Shuz]

#23 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:36 am

Bloody impressive. I wonder if they were inspired by Adelaide Oval's use of copper cladding on the Southern Gate?

it also reminds me of Apple's new headquarters. Big perfectly circular building with that sleek modernist design.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.