Perth's Waterfront Redevelopment

Discussion on developments interstate and overseas.
Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Perth's Waterfront Redevelopment

#61 Post by Brando » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:39 am

Cruise wrote:
Brando wrote:If i met an American and he/she
The American you met was a he/she? wierd
Those damm trannies!!!!

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#62 Post by Edgar » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:08 pm

Cruise wrote:
IF, that is a hypothetical statement.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#63 Post by monotonehell » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:26 pm

Cruise wrote:
Why do people insist on using that awkward construction? There's a perfectly good gender non-specific English pronoun; "they". Use it!

While I'm at it; will people learn the difference between they, their and they're; then and than; and it's and its... {/pedant mode}

Meanwhile back on topic. Brando: as you've noted, you may have seen the arch in movies and so on, but the connection to St. Louis is never made. You can't just build an iconic erection and expect people to associate it with Adelaide, they need something memorable that associates it in their head. Like Adelaide, that's the place that hosts {insert major International sporting event with massive penetration here} every year. A big arch or similar wont get you on the TV every night, unless it cures cancer...
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#64 Post by Brando » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:27 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Cruise wrote:
Why do people insist on using that awkward construction? There's a perfectly good gender non-specific English pronoun; "they". Use it!

While I'm at it; will people learn the difference between they, their and they're; then and than; and it's and its... {/pedant mode}

Meanwhile back on topic. Brando: as you've noted, you may have seen the arch in movies and so on, but the connection to St. Louis is never made. You can't just build an iconic erection and expect people to associate it with Adelaide, they need something memorable that associates it in their head. Like Adelaide, that's the place that hosts {insert major International sporting event with massive penetration here} every year. A big arch or similar wont get you on the TV every night, unless it cures cancer...
FFS, who are you our school teacher?

As you say back on topic, it was merely a suggestion to highlight how a landmark can be associated with a city.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#65 Post by Omicron » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:39 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Cruise wrote:

One wonders how a majority of the male population of Adelaide will feel about clambering to the top of our iconic erection.

:wink:

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#66 Post by monotonehell » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:03 pm

Omicron wrote:One wonders how a majority of the male population of Adelaide will feel about clambering to the top of our iconic erection.
:wink:
I'm feeling quite good about it... :shock:

:lol:

Looking at the renders again, the whole thing seems very sci-fi. It'll certainly give Perth an iconic skyline. A bit like how the pyramid topped building and the gherkin have changed London's dockland's skyline.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#67 Post by adam73837 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:53 pm

frank1 wrote:
adam73837 wrote:
Hippodamus wrote: does this scream anything different to anyone apart from being something totally not like something that would be proposed in Adelaide??? Just come to Dubai my friends and this is just another development in some suburb.. nationally this may be impressive, but on an international scale it ranks close to zero.
If this ranks low on an International scale, then what must the International scale think of us :lol: (especially after we want to build and 'altitiude' apartment tower which we name appropriately seeing as it is so tall and impressive :roll: ).
Adelaide would not even register on their charts. I bet you most international countries have never heard of Adelaide. When people think of Australia, they just think of Sydney or possibly Melbourne. Adelaide needs some unique projects that say 'that's Adelaide' on an international scale like the harbor bridge or opera house in Sydney. I hate to say it, but not even our exiting currie street tower is nationally or internationally impressive (just locally :wink: )
Hopefully our states boom will cause some creative thinking and Adelaide will score some iconic projects.
I agree with everything you said. How about iconic and tall waterfront towers at the new Port Adelaide Waterfront Development? Sure they'll be great to visit, but compared to Perth's new development, they'll be like comparing an Airbus A320 with a Boeing 747. So why not create something iconic in the port (expecially since it's been neglected for so long).
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

#68 Post by frank1 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:26 pm

adam73837 wrote:I agree with everything you said. How about iconic and tall waterfront towers at the new Port Adelaide Waterfront Development? Sure they'll be great to visit, but compared to Perth's new development, they'll be like comparing an Airbus A320 with a Boeing 747. So why not create something iconic in the port (expecially since it's been neglected for so long).
I think that is a good idea. Let Adelaide get away from an iconic project in the city( which alot of cities do around the world ) and focus on our fantastic new port. :)

mondayblues
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#69 Post by mondayblues » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:12 pm

Hippodamus wrote: while i acknowledge perth's efforts of proposing something that certainly get's a lot of 'wow' from its development focussed audience, is anyone actually questioning this developments street presence, urban design appeal, public realm, connectivity to the surrounding urban fabric, parking and pedestrian friendliness.
Did you even bother visiting the website?

http://www.perthwaterfront.com.au/

It addresses the street presence and increased pedestrian friendliness of the redeveloped William St and Esplanade Circle, and the connectivity with a new ferry terminal, bus services, and the new Esplanade railway station, along with other features of the 5 proposed areas in this development.
Hippodamus wrote: nationally this may be impressive, but on an international scale it ranks close to zero.
I don't think anyone said this was the bestest thing in the whole wide world!! :|
Hippodamus wrote:hey guys, i can't believe i didn't write this before - but having a second look at this proposal, doesn't the tallest tower closest to the water have a striking resemblence with the signature "Gherkin" tower in London...

How pathetic, not only does it look cheap, but it it's imitation architecture at its worst. i'm glad this is in Perth, Adelaide has more class than that.
The tallest tower featured in the images is not the final building to built on this site. The Government will ensure though that the specific site on the foreshore contains a 60 level iconic building of "world class architectural design" that will have to include a public sky garden.
Brando wrote:If i met an American and he/she said they were from St Louis,i know nothing about the place or it's location in the US, but i would know this Iconic Landmark that has put it's name on the map...
And that's exactly why large icons and memorable skylines are desirable for a city. It serves as identification to a world wide audience. The old cities in Europe have the architectural icons, new word cities mostly have impressive skylines. There is no benefit in having neither. Adelaide needs a more recognisable skyline urgently.

Macorules94
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#70 Post by Macorules94 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:37 pm

The only reason this is getting built is coz Perth is the most isolated city in the world so its kevin rudds plan to make perth famous. (thats wat i heard)

And besides...there are like 5 good cities on the east side and only i good city on the west side

I live in perth btw

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#71 Post by cruel_world00 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:41 pm

Not sure I have ever seen an SA design for a building or precinct that has blown me away or even made me think "Whoa" like this development. I know it's been said that it looks straight outta Dubai etc but still, it would be nice for some of these types of designs to come around for Adelaide.

**edit - Currie street is probably the closest thing.

contractor
High Rise Poster!

#72 Post by contractor » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:56 pm

Perth's new waterfront proposal.

Not sure how to insert the youtube video. Can anyone help? Cheers.

Isiskii
High Rise Poster!

#73 Post by Isiskii » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:19 am

That's pretty.

Nathan

#74 Post by Nathan » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:09 am

Looks a bit theme parkish to me, although it could be the rendering style that gives it that impression.

Omicron

#75 Post by Omicron » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:48 pm

How colourful and scribbly! Mind you, this is proposal #3464586502, so who knows how far they'll get with this one.