Australia's High Speed Railway

Discussion on developments interstate and overseas.
Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

Australia's High Speed Railway

#1 Post by Düsseldorfer » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:56 pm

Melbourne-Sydney very fast train tops wish list for Rudd Government

By Peter Veness - AAP - December 19, 2008 07:55pm

* Plan to link Melbourne, Canberra, Sydney
* Proposal tops priority list of rail projects
* Global financial crisis to affect plans

AN ambitious $59 billion project to link Melbourne, Canberra and Sydney by very fast train is at the top of a Federal Government wish list for road and rail projects.

The proposal heads a priority list of 94 projects, worth $190 billion, selected by the Government's Infrastructure Australia (IA), which was charged with sifting through 1000 submissions.

Releasing the list today, Transport Minister Anthony Albanese would not commit to any projects but said the preliminary report, compiled by IA chairman Sir Rod Eddington, would allow "further prioritisation".

Sir Eddington was frank, saying the global financial crisis would affect short-term plans.

But it would not hurt the long-term ambitions of Prime Minister Kevin Rudd, he said.

"What we've been asked to do by the Government is to provide a pipeline of projects for their consideration for one, two, three decades," Sir Eddington said.
"And I think it's very important that we don't confuse the need to get the right pipeline in place with the realities of short-term capital availability."

The short list highlights projects in every state and territory, including rural and urban rail and roads, ports, energy, water, communications and indigenous affairs.

Most audacious is the very fast train plan linking east coast capitals, a massive project that has been a pipe dream of successive governments for about two decades now.

If the plan does garner Government support it has the potential to turn Canberra into a dormitory suburb of Sydney with the two capitals just 90 minutes from each other.

Other major projects include a long promised freight-only train line through northern Sydney at a cost of $4 billion and a desalination plant for Adelaide which would cost $2.4 billion.

At the bottom of the list is a $7.2 million bridge replacement in Adelaide.

The Australian Greens damned the short list, saying it locked the nation into a "high-polluting" future.

The top 94 projects will be the focus of Sir Eddington's final report, due to be submitted to the federal government in March.
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24825946-2,00.html

I sure hope Australia will have a HSR(high speed railway) built before 2020 between Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne and Brisbane with a connection to Adelaide and Perth well planned and hopefully already under construction...

I wonder if a HSR in Australia will be just normal high-speed rail like the SNCF-TGV or the DB-ICE or like a Transrapid maglev

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Australia's High Speed Railway

#2 Post by SRW » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:03 pm

At the bottom of the list is a $7.2 million bridge replacement in Adelaide.
King Street bridge in Glenelg, d'you suppose?
Keep Adelaide Weird

Shuz
Banned
Banned

Re: Australia's High Speed Railway

#3 Post by Shuz » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:15 pm

I do wonder if a new Hills railway line (passenger, not frieght) is included? It's greatly needed.
As for the HSR - great news, but I doubt it would get beyond Sydney-Canberra...