Brisbane Crane Index: 3

Discussion on developments interstate and overseas.
Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

Brisbane Crane Index: 3

#1 Post by Will » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:40 pm

From the Australian:
Developers fly south from Queensland with cranes

Andrew Fraser

IN Joh Bjelke-Petersen's day, the crane index was heralded as a simple measure of Queensland's economic prosperity and health.
Now the lack of cranes on the Brisbane skyline is causing several of the state's best-known developers to look to Victoria.

While the strong movement of people into southeast Queensland that has fuelled the state's economic growth will continue, developers cite a lack of confidence in Queensland as one reason for looking south.

In the coming year, Queensland is forecast to have 27,000 housing starts, while Victoria is expected to have 47,000.

For most of the past two decades, up to 50,000 people a year have left other states to settle in Queensland's sun. In 2003, just over 40,000 people did so. But in the year to June 30, interstate migration added only 18,000 people to Queensland.

Developer David Devine has been heavily involved in the two growth areas of southeast Queensland construction: inner-city towers and broadacre developments. He's one of Queensland's best-known builders, yet he is quietly shifting his operations from Queensland to Victoria because, as he says, Victoria represents a better market.

"There's a simple reason for this: a house-land package in Victoria is about $70,000 cheaper than it is in southeast Queensland," Mr Devine said.

"Land in Queensland is being punished by very high headworks charges compared with other states. It's been getting worse over the past few years and there's no sign of it getting better."

Devine said that most of the extra charges were coming from local governments but the state government wasn't doing anything to rein them in.

One of Mr Devine's big projects in Brisbane was Admiralty Quays, which was sold out before it was completed in 2000. But recently Devine had to abandon an inner-city tower when he had trouble getting finance from the banks.

It was one of four buildings within Brisbane's CBD that have been either delayed or scrapped as a result of the tapering off in demand. Among these is the proposed 79-storey Vision building, where troubled developers Austcorp are still searching for overseas funding, leaving a gaping hole in the middle of Brisbane's CBD. "Victoria's fared a lot better than Queensland," he said. "It's got a manufacturing base, and Queensland has got tourism and mining. They're a lot more positive in Victoria than in Queensland."

Other property industry identities are singing the same tune. Watpac managing director Greg Kempton said his company was "re-weighting" its activities to have less in Queensland and more in Victoria.

"It's an issue of confidence," Mr Kempton said. "Everyone's suffered because of the global financial crisis, but there's a lot more confidence in the market in Victoria than there is in Queensland. It's starting to return in Queensland but it's not strong yet."

The crane index in Brisbane, which five years ago stood at 44, now is only three.

The index started in the days of Bjelke-Petersen when he refuted bad economic news by pointing to the number of cranes on the Brisbane skyline. Former premier Peter Beattie was also fond of using cranes as an economic indicator.

Master Builders Queensland director of housing policy Paul Bidwell said stimulus packages from both the state and federal governments were keeping the construction industry going, and 2010 would be another tough year for residential builders. But he stressed that the long-term outlook for southeast Queensland in particular was still strong, driven by the strong levels of population growth.

"In a sense, the Queensland market has been overheated for a few years and running very hot, so that while the GFC hit everyone, places like Queensland, which were very active, got hit harder," Mr Bidwell said.
I dedicate this thread to those of you who think the grass is always greener on the other side, and who think that we are some 'backwater' for having less cranes on the skyline this year, and for having some projects cancelled or postponed. It seems that this GFC has affected other places :shock:

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Brisbane Crane Index: 3

#2 Post by monotonehell » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:55 pm

The next person who says something along the lines of "It could only happen in Adelaide" will need to justify it. :evil:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

joshzxzx
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3 Post by joshzxzx » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:25 pm

What a good article.. Its really does put things in perspective!

What still amazes me, is the amount of carnage that you can still see in PERTH.. for a city just a little bigger than Adelaide they have managed to do an awesome job on keeping the cranes in the sky.

I think Adelaide is finally starting to get the fundamental things right to encourage people to either mover here or simply not move away.. Lets hope the future is brighter than ever before!
South Australia the Festival State

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by Will » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:21 pm

joshzxzx wrote:What a good article.. Its really does put things in perspective!

What still amazes me, is the amount of carnage that you can still see in PERTH.. for a city just a little bigger than Adelaide they have managed to do an awesome job on keeping the cranes in the sky.

I think Adelaide is finally starting to get the fundamental things right to encourage people to either mover here or simply not move away.. Lets hope the future is brighter than ever before!
It is all relative. I predict that in about 1 or 2 years an article will be written titled "Perth Crane Count: 3".

I was having a read of office reports, and rents have plummeted in the last few months due to the massive amount of space coming onto their market. Furthermore some analysts are predicting that late next year, the Perth vacancy rate will climb to 18%. In addition, even with the stronger demand observed in the last few months, analysts predict that the glut in office space will persist until 2015-2016.

IN fact they are talking about this on ABC news at noon just now!

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#5 Post by Shuz » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:29 pm

:shock: 18%?

You would've thought they'd learnt the first time around...

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#6 Post by fabricator » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:16 am

Shuz wrote::shock: 18%?

You would've thought they'd learnt the first time around...
Maybe they don't teach History in Perth ?
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#7 Post by Aidan » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:40 pm

joshzxzx wrote:What a good article.. Its really does put things in perspective!

What still amazes me, is the amount of carnage that you can still see in PERTH..
I hope you mean cranage!
for a city just a little bigger than Adelaide they have managed to do an awesome job on keeping the cranes in the sky.

I can see an obvious problem: our lack of affordable City office space could hold us back once the economy gets going again. Have any Australian cities previously had that problem?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#8 Post by skyliner » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:22 pm

Those of you who have read my comments about Bris. and QLD will see now the accuracy of them. I join with Will and Mono in this aspect of relativity AND that Adelaide is'nt as bad as what people go on about.

NOTE - Bris. cranage as 3 I've never seen this low - many more than that every time I go to the CBD for last few years.

And Aiden, I have had the same thoughts for some time now - don't see a solution other than get more offices built in anticipation - but then it's done on speculative demand not present now - a tad risky.

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.