Melbourne's MYKI ticketing system turned on...

Discussion on developments interstate and overseas.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Melbourne's MYKI ticketing system turned on...

#1 Post by monotonehell » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:07 am

HeraldSun wrote: Minister calls in Myki operator to explain
Ashley Gardiner From: Herald Sun January 08, 2010 12:00AM

EMBATTLED myki chiefs have been rebuked by Acting Premier Rob Hulls as a third glitch in three days emerged.

Transport Ticketing Authority officials were yesterday summonsed to Mr Hulls' office for the dressing down.

The contractor, Kamco, was singled out for criticism.

Officials from the TTA last week told the Government that myki was ready to switch on in Melbourne.

But the system has plunged into crisis, with bungles undermining public confidence.

A spokeswoman for Mr Hulls last night confirmed the meeting with myki officials.

"Acting Premier Rob Hulls has spoken to the TTA to let them know that these kinds of mistakes are unacceptable," Meaghan Shaw said.

"Mr Hulls stressed that Kamco must improve their quality control mechanism."

In the latest embarrassment, cards issued to tertiary students have been recalled after they were not properly activated.

The blunder follows two separate bungles that saw the distribution of myki cards halted. Many commuters have struggled to check their details on the myki website, which is frequently overwhelmed with traffic.

Myki users are also encountering problems when arriving in the city, and their cards won't activate the barriers.

The State Opposition has urged the Government to switch the system off if more problems are expected.

"We call on the Government to come out and detail fully the extent of all the stuff-ups, rather than bits and pieces of information leaking out," Opposition spokesman on transport Terry Mulder said.

"They must provide full and open details of what's gone wrong and what further problems they expect to encounter. If that's going to be extreme, they should pull the pin."

Myki spokeswoman Jean Ker Walsh said the problem with the student cards was being fixed.

"There are believed to be 25 tertiary student cards that were not in activated mode when they were handed over," Ms Ker Walsh said.

Nathan Littel, of Hawthorn, tried unsuccessfully to swipe out at Flinders St yesterday.

"I went up to the gates at and held up the card to the machine," Mr Littel said.

"There was no indication that anything had happened at all and the gate didn't open.

"But the attendant just let me through."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/minist ... 5817168406
Sounds reminiscent of the Oyster Card introduction in London?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Melbourne's MYKI ticketing system turned on...

#2 Post by Nathan » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:55 am

I still don't understand why they had to develop a whole new system, when they could have used an existing one like Suica that is well proven.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3 Post by Omicron » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:01 pm

Suddenly, the salaries of those employed to maintain our supposedly isolated system look like excellent value compared to the mish-mash across the state line.

rubegoldbergdevice
Gold-Member ;)

#4 Post by rubegoldbergdevice » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:12 am

I still don't understand why they had to develop a whole new system, when they could have used an existing one like Suica that is well proven.
Apparently the problem here is that the Vic Government originally wanted a "world first" where Myki users could go to selected cafes, etc and charge their coffee or other low cost item to their Myki card, as well as it being My Key to the Melbourne Met. A complete balls up and in the meantime I hear that Hong Kong (or somewhere) actually does this.

Myki is shit as fuck. It should really have been abandoned a whiles back as it's an abortion, but they're in too deep now. The readers on the trams used to say "Getting ready for Myki" on their little screens. Now they've just come clean and say "out of order, please try another Myki reader". It works on the trains (one of the only things that work on the trains here) and yet only 4% of train passengers use it. LOL!

I hear Adels is to get a smartcard system soon. Jesus Allah Buddha, I love you all... please just use someone else's system and adapt it. It shouldn't be this hard. London's Oyster works quite well over a ridiculously complex transport and zoning system. Perth has one I believe and even somewhere in Tassie. I hope Adels can just quietly introduce one without any loss of dignity. My thoughts are with you.