Birmingham City Centre

Discussion on developments interstate and overseas.
contractor
High Rise Poster!

Birmingham City Centre

#1 Post by contractor » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:59 pm

England's second largest city, Birmingham, has undertaken a masterplan comprising of five districts with the intention of making the city centre approximately five times larger. Work is currently underway and the project will be the biggest ever urban development undertaken within the UK at an estimated cost of $10 Billion pounds:

http://bigcityplan.birmingham.gov.uk/

Thanial
Gold-Member ;)

Re: Birmingham City Centre

#2 Post by Thanial » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:56 pm

I'm originally from both Nottingham and Leicester, so Birmingham was like our big brother city. Unfortunately Birmingham is quite like Adelaide in the sense that many, many projects are proposed, and few get off the ground. In recent years they have experienced change like Adelaide, though many of the skyscrapers remain in the planning stage. It'd be great if this projects actually goes ahead! It's the kind of plan Adelaide needs. :D

contractor
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by contractor » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:10 pm

I thought work has already started? I agree, it is the kind of plan Adelaide needs.

There will also be a high speed train link to London at 45 mins, reducing travel times for many brummies I'm sure.....

Thanial
Gold-Member ;)

#4 Post by Thanial » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:21 pm

work has probably started on the low rise stuff, any high rise or skyscrapers associated with the project will probably be approved and then stay that way for a long time...

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5 Post by jk1237 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:13 pm

haha the old Brum. Travelled through Birmingham on a bus to get to Wales a few years ago. Didnt get out but I could not believe how disgusting Birmingham looked and was so intrigued that I had to go back and have a good look. Well it was much better the 2nd time and had a cool canal district. I hear they have torn down part of its ring "spagetti junction" freeway system that has blighted the inner Brum since the 60s. Hopefully the young naughty gang boys (chavs or whatever) of Birmingham have stopped wearing their white tracksuit pants and burberry hats by now

contractor
High Rise Poster!

#6 Post by contractor » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:51 pm

But has Adelaide signed a five year business partner deal with Abu Dhabi potentially providing billions of pounds in private public partnerships projects Thanial.....

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#7 Post by Aidan » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:03 pm

jk1237 wrote:haha the old Brum. Travelled through Birmingham on a bus to get to Wales a few years ago. Didnt get out but I could not believe how disgusting Birmingham looked and was so intrigued that I had to go back and have a good look. Well it was much better the 2nd time and had a cool canal district. I hear they have torn down part of its ring "spagetti junction" freeway system that has blighted the inner Brum since the 60s. Hopefully the young naughty gang boys (chavs or whatever) of Birmingham have stopped wearing their white tracksuit pants and burberry hats by now
They demolished part of the inner ring road and downgraded the rest, but the M6 and the other roads directly connected to Spaghetti Junction were unaffected.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.