Vics discussing third Melbourne airport

Discussion on developments interstate and overseas.
Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Vics discussing third Melbourne airport

#16 Post by Will » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:03 pm

claybro wrote:If only Adelaide had the same progressive mentality. Not to say Melbourne is not without some big problems, but I think it is entirely possible for a city of 1.2mil like Adelaide to have the same go ahead attitude of the 4mil city like Melbourne.Airport too far away/ too busy...lets just build a new one...Road too busy...lets just tunnel under the city and charge poeple to use it. Unfortunately for some reason we in Adelaide do not. Always the perennial problem of not enough money(or too lazy to find it). And the conservative voice here... You wanna build a tram line?.... but that might mean I cant park my car in King William street and walk to Rundle Mall...wanna build a freeway...OMG my morris minor does not go that fast....New fangled electric trains...well folks, one at a time please, otherwise it might bankrupt us all, and for that we have to close the whole system down for 6 months, just for safety mind you, because we dont know how to put electric in... Wanna build a grandstand in the park, oh heavens no, that might attract the wrong types to our park lands, anyway the park is for the rich folk in Rose Park,so lets squash it and spend 6 months putting up and pulling down a stand anyway, so hopefully they will get sick of it and move that horrid race to Elizabeth.The racecourse that was there....well we dont want horses either, or people, just lots of trees, only Eucalypt mind you , let the European trees die through lack of water, but make sure we but in irrigation for the eucalypts so they dont die.. A 50 storey building in the CBD....?, well planes might crach into it and residents in North Adelaide might see it, and it might cast a shadow over Burnside. Think I need to move to Melbourne...or Perth...or Brisbane...or Hobart...
Crazy man has left the building! :twisted:
It is sad that you have only focussed on the negatives, as well as some bizarre examples I do not recognise (i.e. where is this proposed freeway that could not be built because of public opposition?)

You seem to forget that despite the negativity, we managed to extend the tramline, get the Adelaide Oval redevelopment underway, build the new RAH, allow holiday trading in the CBD, remove height restrictions....

I dare you to state a city where every development proposed faces absolutely no opposition and gets built.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#17 Post by Wayno » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:49 am

claybro wrote:Crazy man has left the building! :twisted:
Me thinks you need a dose of perspective ;-). Read this - here.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#18 Post by Maximus » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:37 am

Wayno wrote:
claybro wrote:Crazy man has left the building! :twisted:
Me thinks you need a dose of perspective ;-). Read this - here.
Good advice, Wayno. Claybro just having a bad day, I reckon, and needed to vent. I say we just let this one go through to the 'keeper. :)
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#19 Post by Aidan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:15 pm

Will wrote: It is sad that you have only focussed on the negatives, as well as some bizarre examples I do not recognise (i.e. where is this proposed freeway that could not be built because of public opposition?)
I presume he was referring to one of those from the MATS Plan - but considering how many decades ago that was abandoned, I don't think it's a fair criticism. A much better thing to criticise would be the false economy of building half a freeway.
You seem to forget that despite the negativity, we managed to extend the tramline,
True, but not enough trams to meet demand.
get the Adelaide Oval redevelopment underway,
That should be something we can all be proud of - though we can never quite tell until it's finished.
build the new RAH,
Wasting billions of dollars moving the RAH to a less effective location, and in the process destroying the best site for a new stadium (which isn't needed yet, but we should think of the future). And we had no say in the matter, unless you count one state election where the opposition had even more extravagant and wasteful plans.
allow holiday trading in the CBD,
Yet shops are still forced to shut at 9pm in the CBD, and in Glenelg there are more trading restrictions than there were fifteen years ago.
remove height restrictions....
Only a minority of height restrictions.
I dare you to state a city where every development proposed faces absolutely no opposition and gets built.
Dubai?

The real problem is that the agenda's being set by unimaginative governments,and the people aren't being given a proper choice.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

claybro

#20 Post by claybro » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:39 pm

Sufice to say it was a bad day,(thanks mainly to our woeful roads) but Adelaide is a great place to live (and i have visited many cities worldwide). I apologise unresevervedly to my local Adelaide co-residents for the rant. :oops: Having said that, what we call progress, after much handwringing and debate, is just normal everyday activity in the other capitals. They see a need, make a proposal, find a way to fund it and just get on with it. If we dont learn to embrace change here, we will continue to lose our best and brightest to the other states. :cheers:

Omicron

#21 Post by Omicron » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:10 pm

[Shuz] wrote:Very Fast Train.

Same thing as HSR.

High Speed Rail.

Damned acronyms these days. INC.

In need of coffee.
I feared it was going to be something laughable like that, but I was hoping for the best.