[COM] Australia 108 | 319m | 100lvls | Melbourne

Discussion on developments interstate and overseas.
Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Australia's new tallest 108 lvls 388m

#16 Post by Aidan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:39 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Maximus wrote:May have a little way to go yet. It penetrates the PANS-OPS for Essendon Airport.
Good. I hope that means they can lop off that awkward looking light beacon thing atop.
More likely that"s the reason why they included the light beacon in the design.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#17 Post by Maximus » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:14 am

Aidan wrote:More likely that"s the reason why they included the light beacon in the design.
You'd like to think so, but from what I've read it doesn't sound like they knew and/or cared about the PANS-OPS penetration until it was pointed out to them.

The Victorian Planning Minister said a week or so ago that the building had all the regulatory approvals it needed. Wrong. The Commonwealth has to approve this and there's no way that will happen whilst it's penetrating a PANS-OPS surface.
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

Aidan

#18 Post by Aidan » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:58 am

Sorry, I got the PANS-OPS confused with the OLS.

I'm surprised it does penetrate the PANS-OPS. What's a PANS-OPS doing there anyway? It's not particularly near Essendon Airport.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#19 Post by Maximus » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:34 pm

Yeah, the site is around 11km from the southern end of Essendon's N-S runway. It's only a slight penetration (around 10m, I think), but the PANS-OPS is the surface above which you need to be guaranteed that you won't bump into anything if you're navigating solely by instruments.

[Shuz]

#20 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:22 am

The advice from my colleagues is that the PANS-OPS is not literally, the be-all-and-end-all. In very, very, rare circumstances, pending CASA/Commowealth approval, the PANS-OPS limit can be penetrated. However, there is a uniform 300m AHD height limit across all of Australia, and any building exceeding this limit, must require CASA approval, regardless.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Aidan

#21 Post by Aidan » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:14 pm

As I understand it, PANS-OPS must never be penetrated but its boundaries can be moved. This looks like one of those cases where it would be worth moving them.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#22 Post by Maximus » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:24 pm

Yeah, pretty much both correct. PANS-OPS never to be penetrated, but very occasionally is approved. (Couldn't give you an example, unfortunately.) It's partly dependent on designated flight paths, so will move if the flight path is moved, which I believe is what they're considering in this case.

As an aside, here's an interesting article about all the high-rise currently planned for Melbourne. There will be 12 over 200m if all these get built!

http://www.propertyobserver.com.au/vict ... 3022858541

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#23 Post by Maximus » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:55 am

Boom boom and out go the lights...
Southern hemisphere's tallest building shelved
July 6, 2013
Marc Pallisco

Ambitious plans to build the southern hemisphere's tallest skyscraper in Southbank have been abandoned.

Fender Katsalidis Architects, the consortium behind the landmark Australia 108 building earmarked for 70 Southbank Boulevard, has confirmed it is redesigning plans for the site after a ''hybrid of requirements'' - from bodies such as VicRoads and the Civil Aviation Safety Authority - rendered the proposal ''impossible''.

Planning Minister Matthew Guy approved the 108-level proposal in March after a short consultation period and despite objections it would create traffic congestion and cast shadows over the Shrine of Remembrance. It was also claimed the building would obstruct a flight path.

continues...

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#24 Post by Will » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:17 pm

Maximus wrote:Boom boom and out go the lights...
Southern hemisphere's tallest building shelved
July 6, 2013
Marc Pallisco

Ambitious plans to build the southern hemisphere's tallest skyscraper in Southbank have been abandoned.

Fender Katsalidis Architects, the consortium behind the landmark Australia 108 building earmarked for 70 Southbank Boulevard, has confirmed it is redesigning plans for the site after a ''hybrid of requirements'' - from bodies such as VicRoads and the Civil Aviation Safety Authority - rendered the proposal ''impossible''.

Planning Minister Matthew Guy approved the 108-level proposal in March after a short consultation period and despite objections it would create traffic congestion and cast shadows over the Shrine of Remembrance. It was also claimed the building would obstruct a flight path.

continues...
There must be some kind of mistake. Ambitious projects only get shelved in Adelaide.....

contractor
High Rise Poster!

#25 Post by contractor » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:12 pm

Just a glitch.. seems this one is back on track.. somewhat:

http://sourceable.net/australia-108-pro ... investors/

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#26 Post by Howie » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:53 am

Thanks for the update contractor.

I envy the level of private investment in victoria, wish there was much more of that in sa.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#27 Post by Maximus » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:31 pm

New height to be 312m, which will still make it taller than Eureka, although presumably it won't have 108 levels anymore...?!

News article from The Australian. If you want to read the whole thing, just copy the first para into Google and you should be good to go.
Grand designs for southern skyline
by: Ben Wilmot From: The Australian January 24, 2014 12:00AM

SINGAPORE'S Aspial Corporation has unveiled plans to build Australia's second tallest tower behind the famed Surfers Paradise landmark Q1 Tower.

The almost unknown offshore company has snapped up the site in Melbourne's Southbank district, known as the Australia 108 project, that can accommodate a 312m tower, which will be the city's tallest.

The tower could have been even higher at 388m, as approved by Victorian Planning Minister Matthew Guy, but at this height it would have been in the emergency flight path for Melbourne's Essendon Airport.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#28 Post by ml69 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:24 pm

Maximus wrote:New height to be 312m, which will still make it taller than Eureka, although presumably it won't have 108 levels anymore...?!
My tip is that it will be 88 levels, so still appeals to Chinese investors.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#29 Post by SRW » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:23 am

Now approved at 319m with 100 storeys. The design has been smoothed out and it's much more attractive. Read more: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-26/v ... nk/5552258

Keep Adelaide Weird

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#30 Post by Maximus » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:34 am

SRW wrote:Now approved at 319m with 100 storeys.
If the PANS-OPS at that location is 319m, their next challenge will be getting approval for the crane, which will need to be higher than 319m whilst they're constructing the top few storeys... :wink: