Cars come last in transport planning: tale of two cities

Discussion on developments interstate and overseas.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Cars come last in transport planning: tale of two cities

#16 Post by Nathan » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:34 am

Ben wrote:
realstretts wrote:I caught an Uber in Melbourne Friday night and it was hands down the best experience i've had being shuttled from A to B. Hurry up Adelaide and get on the Uber train
last weekend while in Melbourne I had a terrible Uberx experience, twice the driver could not find me. Eventually one of them did after I could see him driving around on the map going every which way. he then proceeded to ask me directions to where I was going - which I did not know as I was not form Melbourne (neither was he). Then the second time the driver called me and did not speak a word of English so it was pointless and I was forced to cancel and pay a $10 fee which I was later refunded. It seems anyone can become an UberX driver with little or no English skills and little to know navigation knowledge. It is a concern and while its cheaper there is usually a reasons for that..
I guess that highlights the difference between Uber X and Uber Black. Ultimately, the rating system should filter out drivers like that, but there's always going to be the unfortunate few who have to go for those first couple of rides to give the bad ratings.
little or no English skills and little to know navigation knowledge
Just had to have little smirk at that though ;)

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#17 Post by Ben » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:47 am

its been a long weekend :shock:

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#18 Post by Wayno » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:10 pm

I'm in Melbourne on occasion for work and typically stay downtown. Last 2 times the drivers didn't know Melbourne streets at all, let alone where the airport is located. One guy couldn't get onto the freeway, and the other missed the Tullamarine airport turn-off. Both repeatedly asked me for directions. I pointed out that people who stay in hotels aren't locals. Fu@king useless...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#19 Post by ml69 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:42 pm

Wayno wrote:I'm in Melbourne on occasion for work and typically stay downtown. Last 2 times the drivers didn't know Melbourne streets at all, let alone where the airport is located. One guy couldn't get onto the freeway, and the other missed the Tullamarine airport turn-off. Both repeatedly asked me for directions. I pointed out that people who stay in hotels aren't locals. Fu@king useless...
I was once staying in the Melbourne CBD, and asked the taxi driver to take me to the MCG.

His reply?

"What's the MCG?"

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#20 Post by Wayno » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:24 pm

ml69 wrote:
Wayno wrote:I'm in Melbourne on occasion for work and typically stay downtown. Last 2 times the drivers didn't know Melbourne streets at all, let alone where the airport is located. One guy couldn't get onto the freeway, and the other missed the Tullamarine airport turn-off. Both repeatedly asked me for directions. I pointed out that people who stay in hotels aren't locals. Fu@king useless...
I was once staying in the Melbourne CBD, and asked the taxi driver to take me to the MCG.

His reply?

"What's the MCG?"
:shock:
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#21 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:31 am

Yeah, that sounds about right.

One of the most important rules when in Melbourne (either as a local or a visitor), never catch a taxi to get around.

Uber is where it's at. And if your Uber ride was crap, the good thing is that you can rate and review your driver. They have to maintain a minimum 4 star rating to be licensed and accredited.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

MelBrandle
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#22 Post by MelBrandle » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:13 pm

At least there are plans in storage to improve the city when the problem is found. Eventually, equilibrium will be found again.
Mel Brandle,