[video] The Pedway: Elevating London (Documentary)

Discussion on developments interstate and overseas.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

[video] The Pedway: Elevating London (Documentary)

#1 Post by monotonehell » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:18 pm

Interesting, if you're interested in where we've already been. After all a lot of us refuse to learn from history.
The Pedway: Elevating London is a documentary on the post-war redevelopment in the City of London - focusing on the attempt to build an ambitious network of elevated walkways through the city. Featuring interviews with professor of town planning Michael Hebbert (UCL), architecture critic Jonathan Glancey, city planning officer Peter Wynne Rees and writer Nicholas Rudd-Jones (Pathways), the film explores why the 'Pedway' scheme was unsuccessful and captures the abandoned remains that, unknown to the public, still haunt the square mile.
https://vimeo.com/80787092 (40mins)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: [video] The Pedway: Elevating London (Documentary)

#2 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:04 pm

Very interesting - I've often wondered about those dead-end walkways and bricked up openings when I've been in London - now I know.

I'm glad the 50s/60s idea of utopian living never quite materialised - a bit of a soulless environment and concrete doesn't really date well. Although I've often wondered how good some run-down 60s buildings would look after a good pressure wash...