Melbourne Metro Tunnel

Discussion on developments interstate and overseas.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Melbourne Metro Tunnel

#1 Post by rev » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:44 pm

Zills
Gold-Member ;)

Re: Melbourne Metro Tunnel

#2 Post by Zills » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:42 pm

This is fantastic! Just what we need in Adelaide :D

Now, who's got a cool $6 billion?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3 Post by Norman » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:57 pm

We could probably build a rail tunnel at a lower cost compared to Melbourne because our city is a lot less complex, but it would also depend on the soil that we have. It would be interesting to see a cost/benefit analysis for a city tunnel in Adelaide.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:24 pm

I think it'd be likely our cost benefit analysis will be modelled off Perth's underground.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#5 Post by timtam20292 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:04 am

Metro Tunnel Works Notification: Weekend Works - A'Beckett Street, CBD

On Saturday 29 and Sunday 30 July, piling preparations
will take place at the A’Beckett Street shaft site, between
Swanston Street and Stewart Street. Works will take place
from 7am to 5pm and will include road profiling,
spoil haulage and footpath works.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#6 Post by Norman » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:07 pm

Malcolm Turnbull commits to $5 billion Melbourne Airport rail link
Tom Minear and Rob Harris, Herald Sun
an hour ago

EXCLUSIVE: Malcolm Turnbull will on Thursday end half a century of inaction with a historic $5 billion pledge to finally build a rail link to Melbourne airport.

The Prime Minister’s unprecedented cash splash paves the way for construction to start as early as 2020, once one of four routes between the city and Tullamarine is chosen.

The Herald Sun can reveal that the $5 billion contribution to the city-shaping project, creating thousands of jobs, will be the single largest infrastructure investment in next month’s federal Budget.

The rail link will likely offer both an express service and services stopping at current or new stations.

“The time for talk is over,” Mr Turnbull told the Herald Sun.

“There have been countless reviews, reports and recommendations, but Melbourne is still waiting for a service almost all of the world’s great cities take for granted. With our commitment of up to $5 billion ... we are guaranteeing the Melbourne airport rail link will be built.”

The PM wrote to Premier Daniel Andrews on Wednesday night, asking for a 50-50 funding split to build and own the “iconic piece of infrastructure”. Private investment might also be an option, to meet a price tag of up to $15 billion.

It is estimated 60 million passengers a year will use the airport by 2030.

The federal government will on Thursday unveil four options for a link, including above-ground and underground tracks.

Its preferred routes through Maribyrnong would link to Highpoint shopping centre and Victoria University, and open up a major new suburb of 6000 homes on former defence land.

The Herald Sun can also reveal:
EACH route would likely end in a new underground airport station and connect to the city either directly through Southern Cross, around the City Loop, or into the new Metro Tunnel.

A BUSINESS case will, by September, present options for new railway stations in Melbourne’s inner northwest.

MORE infrastructure cash for Victoria will also follow, after years of criticism about a lack of federal funding.

Mr Turnbull will on Thursday encourage Mr Andrews to match his commitment by injecting the $2 billion Victoria receives from selling its share of the iconic Snowy Hydro scheme into the airport rail project.

The Premier promised last November that construction on the rail link would be under way within the next decade, but the government has argued a train can’t run until the Metro Tunnel opens in 2026.

The business case will include options for unsolicited bids or other private sector contributions. The Commonwealth is keen to capitalise on the commercial value of a new suburb within 10km of the city.

Treasurer Scott Morrison said: “With this new investment, the Commonwealth now has $17.5 billion committed to transport infrastructure projects in Victoria — including the $3 billion put aside for the East West Link.”

Federal government MPs from Victoria have long lobbied the PM for more money for the state.

“We know getting people to the airport faster and getting cars off the Tullamarine Freeway has flow-on benefits across the city,” Victorian minister Kelly O’Dwyer said.

Opposition Leader Bill Shorten has backed the link.

FOUR WAYS TO BEAT GRIDLOCK
A NEW underground station at Melbourne airport is expected to be built to provide travellers with easy access to the long-awaited train service to and from Tullamarine.

The Herald Sun can reveal four possible routes for the rail link are on the table. A $30 million business case will assess each option by September.

All routes are likely to enter Tullamarine via a tunnel and into an underground station, to avoid worsening congestion in an already chaotic forecourt used by cars, taxis, ride-sharing services and buses.

Three of the four options could see the airport train run around the City Loop, stopping at Flinders St, Southern Cross, Melbourne Central and Parliament stations.

The planning process is considering all options for access to the city, so the route could potentially take travellers all around the CBD. A direct connection into Southern Cross, long the popular option, is also still on the cards.

The fourth route, known as the Albion East option — which the Herald Sun understands is preferred by the state government — would enter the CBD through the Metro Tunnel, not due to open until 2026.

Once the business case is ­finalised, the state and federal governments will face a choice between four options with vastly different strengths and weaknesses.

The Flemington and Direct Tunnel routes are believed to be preferred by the federal government because both options would open up access to a new suburb to be built on the 127ha former defence site in Maribyrnong.

The land, on the banks of the Maribyrnong River, is less than 10km from the city centre and could fit up to 6000 new homes and provide for thousands of new jobs.

Those two options would be the most expensive, because they require extensive tunnelling, but they would also be the most direct.

While no decisions have been made on new stations, one would likely be at Highpoint shopping centre.

A direct route through ­Maribyrnong without stops has also not been ruled out.

The Albion East alignment which has long been touted for a Tullamarine airport rail link, would be cheaper because it would be almost entirely above-ground and use some existing tracks.

The Craigieburn link would be a cheaper option, but it appears less likely to be chosen, because it stops at least 13 times along the existing railway line running through Melbourne’s north.

A decision would also have to be made on whether to run purpose-built airport trains with luggage racks or whether airport travellers would just board normal commuter trains running along that line.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victor ... e7db8607d6

rev

#7 Post by rev » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:15 am

“There have been countless reviews, reports and recommendations, but Melbourne is still waiting for a service almost all of the world’s great cities take for granted. With our commitment of up to $5 billion ... we are guaranteeing the Melbourne airport rail link will be built.”
Adelaide is still waiting for a service that every other major Australian city takes for granted, an electrified train network. How about some funding thrown our way you wanker.

rev

#8 Post by rev » Tue May 01, 2018 6:36 pm

RiseHigh
High Rise Poster!

#9 Post by RiseHigh » Tue May 01, 2018 8:02 pm

rev wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:15 am
Adelaide is still waiting for a service that every other major Australian city takes for granted, an electrified train network. How about some funding thrown our way you wanker.
Couldn't of said it better myself rev, that liberal government couldn't care less about Adelaide.

claybro

#10 Post by claybro » Thu May 03, 2018 4:20 pm

RiseHigh wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 8:02 pm
rev wrote:
Couldn't of said it better myself rev, that liberal government couldn't care less about Adelaide.
Not quite true. It has to be noted that every other mainland capital has a list of well planned,( in some cases for many years) costed and prioritised integrated infrastructure requirements for their capitals. Their metropolitan and CBD planning happens around these plans. The current federal government now has a well established track record of throwing hundreds of millions of dollars at these states for their wish lists, including metro rail. Adelaide on the other hand....

rev

#11 Post by rev » Fri May 04, 2018 11:32 am

claybro wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 4:20 pm
RiseHigh wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 8:02 pm
rev wrote:

Not quite true. It has to be noted that every other mainland capital has a list of well planned,( in some cases for many years) costed and prioritised integrated infrastructure requirements for their capitals. Their metropolitan and CBD planning happens around these plans. The current federal government now has a well established track record of throwing hundreds of millions of dollars at these states for their wish lists, including metro rail. Adelaide on the other hand....
Bollocks.
The fed pre-commit money at eastern state projects that are merely announced in the media. Yet they demanded full business case studies and plans and the works before they'd even commit to the idea of providing funding for SA projects.
They ripped money from the rail electrification project here in Adelaide. You telling me now a project that was underway, wasn't costed and planned?

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by Goodsy » Fri May 04, 2018 11:37 am

rev wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 11:32 am

Bollocks.
The fed pre-commit money at eastern state projects that are merely announced in the media. Yet they demanded full business case studies and plans and the works before they'd even commit to the idea of providing funding for SA projects.
They ripped money from the rail electrification project here in Adelaide. You telling me now a project that was underway, wasn't costed and planned?

We don't even have projects getting announced in the media without business cases...

claybro

#13 Post by claybro » Fri May 04, 2018 3:44 pm

rev wrote:
Bollocks.
Money from the rail electrification project was not withdrawn by the CURRENT Federal government. Nor was the Adelaide electrification project completely costed or planned. Gawler line YES, but the state government dithered as well on this. As far as I'm aware, there was still no firm decision from the state regarding even how the OH corridor was to proceed (light or heavy rail) and still isn't. How could it possibly be costed or planned if they don't even know the format to be used? Do you think infrastructure Australia will accept an approach based on...oh we want some railcars out here, electric...maybe light, or heavy...but not sure what type? Or the route, nor the destinations? Oh wait...now we want light rail everywhere, but not sure which routes?
How about some cash for a freeway...what you say? You want to know the alignment...well we don't know...we are still allowing people to build along the corridor so how can we possibly know the exact alignment.
Also in case you are wondering, I work in transport/ services logistics-for a large national company. I have spoken to people that review plans and concepts at a federal level over many times. I have known for years (check my posts) that the final North /South alignment was South road...the Feds knew it was south road...they wanted to commit money to it....but where were the plans form SA???? ...crickets chirping. Then finally almost by accident .. the whole lot is creaking together at snails pace.

rev

#14 Post by rev » Fri May 04, 2018 4:50 pm

claybro wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 3:44 pm
rev wrote:
Bollocks.
Money from the rail electrification project was not withdrawn by the CURRENT Federal government. Nor was the Adelaide electrification project completely costed or planned. Gawler line YES, but the state government dithered as well on this. As far as I'm aware, there was still no firm decision from the state regarding even how the OH corridor was to proceed (light or heavy rail) and still isn't. How could it possibly be costed or planned if they don't even know the format to be used? Do you think infrastructure Australia will accept an approach based on...oh we want some railcars out here, electric...maybe light, or heavy...but not sure what type? Or the route, nor the destinations? Oh wait...now we want light rail everywhere, but not sure which routes?
How about some cash for a freeway...what you say? You want to know the alignment...well we don't know...we are still allowing people to build along the corridor so how can we possibly know the exact alignment.
Also in case you are wondering, I work in transport/ services logistics-for a large national company. I have spoken to people that review plans and concepts at a federal level over many times. I have known for years (check my posts) that the final North /South alignment was South road...the Feds knew it was south road...they wanted to commit money to it....but where were the plans form SA???? ...crickets chirping. Then finally almost by accident .. the whole lot is creaking together at snails pace.
You needed contacts to tell you the N-S corridor would be South Road? :lol:

You obviously don't get it.
Where's the business case for the rail link project in Melbourne? But hey, Melbourne, here have $5 billion for it anyway.
So your points are irrelevant to the argument, as the argument isn't about the performance of the SA government.

Turnbull said that Melbourne is still waiting for a service that most of the worlds great cities take for granted. So he has pre-committed $5 billion for it.
We are still waiting for a service in Adelaide that the other major Australian cities take for granted, where's the pre-committment from him on that?

Get it?

claybro

#15 Post by claybro » Fri May 04, 2018 5:59 pm

rev wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 4:50 pm
You needed contacts to tell you the N-S corridor would be South Road?
There were many on this forum up until as recently as 5 years ago were debating the route a N/S corridor would take. So yes, I sought clarification of what was going on from my contacts. It was actually embarrassing as a South Australian to hear what was said, about the lack of co-ordination in the state.
There are many local councils along the entire corridor that have continued to allow development right to the edge of the roadway, so apparently they were also unaware.
The state government has failed to purchase parcels of land as they have come up for sale/ or reserved surplus land even now, so apparently they were also clueless...
So although it was apparent that was the only viable route, to the Feds, and IA.. the players involved at state level left their heads in the sand...much to the frustration of IA who were screaming for plans...and various Federal governments who were desperate to fund this from an efficiency point of view.
rev wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 4:50 pm
Where's the business case for the rail link project in Melbourne? But hey, Melbourne, here have $5 billion for it anyway.
I'm not sure what business case was presented for the Melbourne Airport link-I don't provide them, but it has been in the pipeline for about 30 years. They have now presented different options, the cost and route of each, and what each option will achieve in terms of existing links, and new suburban developments, and how it builds on to the existing system. Now compare that to the clarity of what has been offered up by the SA government for infrastructure in SA.
If you're happy to just blame the Eastern States, WA or wherever for the poor outcome of federal infrastructure funding for SA, well that's your thing. I would hope for better.