Urban Beach

All event related discussion should go here.. e.g. Clipsal 500, Womadelaide, SALA, etc.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2637
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:09 pm
Location: Bowden
Has thanked: 132 times
Been thanked: 364 times
Contact:

Urban Beach

#1 Post by Nathan » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:26 pm

Construction of the Urban Beach is well advanced, for opening on Friday.

Image

User avatar
PeFe
Legendary Member!
Posts: 580
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:47 am
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 63 times

Re: Urban Beach

#2 Post by PeFe » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:02 am

I like the idea of the an "urban beach" but does it have to be in such an obscure location? It looks like it is 300 metres west of Adelaide Oval.

Who is supposed to use it? Office workers?..shoppers? It must be a 20 minute walk from Rundle Mall, and at least 15 minutes from the train station.

Do they want families to go there? I think most Adelaidians would drive.....

User avatar
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2637
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:09 pm
Location: Bowden
Has thanked: 132 times
Been thanked: 364 times
Contact:

Re: Urban Beach

#3 Post by Nathan » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:40 am

15 minutes from the railway station to Pinky Flat? How slow do you walk?

User avatar
Llessur2002
Legendary Member!
Posts: 961
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:59 pm
Location: West Croydon
Has thanked: 276 times
Been thanked: 389 times

Re: Urban Beach

#4 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:11 am

Thousands of people managed to get there just fine for the RCC this year. I think it's an interesting concept - I hope it is popular in Adelaide and becomes a regular thing.

ghs
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1380
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:09 am
Location: Brighton
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 50 times

Re: Urban Beach

#5 Post by ghs » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:05 pm

The swimming pool is way too small in my opinion.

User avatar
Llessur2002
Legendary Member!
Posts: 961
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:59 pm
Location: West Croydon
Has thanked: 276 times
Been thanked: 389 times

Re: Urban Beach

#6 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:07 pm

ghs wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:05 pm
The swimming pool is way too small in my opinion.
If this is a success and is repeated in future years, or if it becomes a permanent feature, then maybe the pool will be enlarged.

ghs
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1380
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:09 am
Location: Brighton
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 50 times

Re: Urban Beach

#7 Post by ghs » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:08 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:07 pm
ghs wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:05 pm
The swimming pool is way too small in my opinion.
If this is a success and is repeated in future years, or if it becomes a permanent feature, then maybe the pool will be enlarged.
Honestly my cousins had a better swimming pool in their backyard back in the 1980's lol.

User avatar
Llessur2002
Legendary Member!
Posts: 961
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:59 pm
Location: West Croydon
Has thanked: 276 times
Been thanked: 389 times

Re: Urban Beach

#8 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:09 pm

ghs wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:08 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:07 pm
ghs wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:05 pm
The swimming pool is way too small in my opinion.
If this is a success and is repeated in future years, or if it becomes a permanent feature, then maybe the pool will be enlarged.
Honestly my cousins had a better swimming pool in their backyard back in the 1980's lol.
I think this is supposed to be a paddling pool, not a full-sized backyard job.

ghs
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1380
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:09 am
Location: Brighton
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 50 times

Re: Urban Beach

#9 Post by ghs » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:16 pm

In my opinion the swimming pool is the most important feature of the whole Urban beach. The whole concept is flawed
unless you have a decent size pool. The Urban beach concept is worth experimenting with, but it needs to be done properly.

User avatar
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2637
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:09 pm
Location: Bowden
Has thanked: 132 times
Been thanked: 364 times
Contact:

Re: Urban Beach

#10 Post by Nathan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:38 pm

The paddling pool is incidental — it's more for setting the theme, much like the croquet fields at the RCC.

ghs
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1380
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:09 am
Location: Brighton
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 50 times

Re: Urban Beach

#11 Post by ghs » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:49 pm

So what if you want to go for a swim ?

Get your gear off and have a dip in the polluted river torrens ?

User avatar
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 5420
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:10 am
Location: Adelaide, East End.
Has thanked: 181 times
Been thanked: 262 times
Contact:

Re: Urban Beach

#12 Post by monotonehell » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:48 pm

ghs wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:49 pm
So what if you want to go for a swim ?

Get your gear off and have a dip in the polluted river torrens ?
I think you have grasped the wrong end of the proverbial. It's not about swimming at all. It's a space for lounging, sunning oneself, and so on. The paddle pool and sand are just the aesthetic.

User avatar
[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2184
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:26 pm
Has thanked: 390 times
Been thanked: 159 times

Re: Urban Beach

#13 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:59 pm

A bit off topic, but what would be awesome is if a diversion tunnel river channel thingy was built from tuhe King William Street Bridge to just below the Torrens Weir to allow for natural flow of the river and then convert the two Torrens river / lake segments into what would basically be massive recreational pools that people could swim in and utlize.

Something like this: https://www.google.com.au/amp/twistedsi ... l-mar/amp/

That's 8 hectares in size. The two lakes are about 10 hectares (5 each). Would be a cool title to have - worlds largest swimming and recreational pool. Be a tourism drawcard and our weather is perfect for it.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

thecityguy
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 181
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:32 am
Has thanked: 88 times
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: Urban Beach

#14 Post by thecityguy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:25 pm

[Shuz] wrote:A bit off topic, but what would be awesome is if a diversion tunnel river channel thingy was built from tuhe King William Street Bridge to just below the Torrens Weir to allow for natural flow of the river and then convert the two Torrens river / lake segments into what would basically be massive recreational pools that people could swim in and utlize.

Something like this: https://www.google.com.au/amp/twistedsi ... l-mar/amp/

That's 8 hectares in size. The two lakes are about 10 hectares (5 each). Would be a cool title to have - worlds largest swimming and recreational pool. Be a tourism drawcard and our weather is perfect for it.
Love the idea, wouldn’t even have to be that bigger scale, something like Brisbane’s south bank would be fine


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest