WomAdelaide goes rural...

All event related discussion should go here.. e.g. Clipsal 500, Womadelaide, SALA, etc.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

WomAdelaide goes rural...

#1 Post by Wayno » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:57 am

Anyone know details of what the WomAdelaide organizers are doing in the adelaide country-side?

My next door neighbour has a farm down near Strathalbyn/Finniss and was just informed by the Council that the "World Of Music (WOM)" organization has bought the adjacent property. Seems the 300 acres they purchased is a natural amphitheater and they will be running frequent international workshops involving 10-20,000 people, and maybe even larger woodstock-style gatherings from time to time.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: WomAdelaide goes rural...

#2 Post by monotonehell » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:33 pm

That's interesting, but I find it hard to believe that a music promoter would BUY land. That seems like a very concrete investment that that kind of business model never touches.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by Wayno » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:50 pm

yep i know what you mean - it's a big sunk cost. Anyway, my neighbour is bringing to the councils attention the concern that having sooo many people on this property is actually quite dangerous. Apparently there's only one little winding dirt road for access - imagine having 20,000 people trying to escape a fast moving bushfire! fricasseed spectators...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4 Post by Omicron » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:03 pm

Wayno wrote:yep i know what you mean - it's a big sunk cost. Anyway, my neighbour is bringing to the councils attention the concern that having sooo many people on this property is actually quite dangerous. Apparently there's only one little winding dirt road for access - imagine having 20,000 people trying to escape a fast moving bushfire! fricasseed spectators...
With some fava beans and a nice Chianti, that might not necessarily be a problem.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by JamesXander » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:15 pm

Wayno wrote:yep i know what you mean - it's a big sunk cost. Anyway, my neighbour is bringing to the councils attention the concern that having sooo many people on this property is actually quite dangerous. Apparently there's only one little winding dirt road for access - imagine having 20,000 people trying to escape a fast moving bushfire! fricasseed spectators...

Brings back memories of Oakbank Races 2003 I think. A bushfire started a km away from the track, called in like 5 water bombers and heaps of trucks. Was a tiny fire but because it was so close they had to make sure.

I am sure they would have the appropriate measures in place if an event were to take place at this property, especially if the neighbour goes to teh council.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Wayno » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:51 pm

I was at WomAdelaide on friday night (it was truly magnificent - such originality from so many corners of the globe).

I borrowed a program guide from the family sitting next to mine. It had a 1/2 page article on this rural development. It confirms the Global WOMAD group has purchased 250 hectares of land - and are looking for partners to share the cost of constructing facilities. They will have an annual festival (each October) and regular workshops, starting from 2010.

Looks like South Australia's typical Jan-March party period will extend into another month!

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by Wayno » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:43 am

More news on this one. Some articles i've seen say the WOMAD group have already purchased land, others say they are yet to purchase! go figure...
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 00,00.html
womad-fire-piano.jpg
womad-fire-piano.jpg (48.53 KiB) Viewed 3786 times
WOMAD Earth Station
WOMAD Earth Station is being planned as a camping event to be held on the Fleurieu Peninsula each October, starting from 2010.

Womadelaide's new environmental spinoff event will take up to 10 years to fully develop.

"We have a preferred site and we've an agreed price with the owner of that site," said Arts Projects Australia director Ian Scobie.

"Subject to local council approvals we will proceed with that. It will probably be finalised by July."

A second, backup site has also been earmarked in Eden Valley.

APA is working on the Earth Station concept with developer Woods Bagot as well as Womadelaide's parent organisation WOMAD – World of Music, Arts and Dance – which was cofounded by singer Peter Gabriel in England in 1982.

Mr Scobie said it would take up to a decade to develop the Earth Station site to be environmentally sustainable.

"We've got a long way to go. The project has really got a 10-year window of development," Mr Scobie said.

"The first festival will probably be presented in similar formats to Womadelaide, with temporary facilities and generators.

"The infrastructure development for recycling the effluent and all of those things are going to take years to develop."

Environmental strategies will include planting reed beds and trees. A preliminary planting festival is likely to be held to prepare the site, which would be able to accommodate several thousand campers.

The Premier, Mr Rann, said the State Government would work with WOMAD Earth Station to develop renewable wind and/or solar power for the site.

"Part of the experience is living in this global village," Mr Rann said. "This would be the greenest festival in Australia."

Mr Rann also said the existing Womadelaide festival had been signed up until 2014, with an option to extend until 2019.

For the first time in the event's 16-year history, all three-day passes sold out in advance this year.

Womadelaide organisers are also looking at expanding future events from three to four days. Victoria, like South Australia, has a public holiday on the Monday.

About half of Womadelaide's audience this year came from interstate and overseas, according to exit polls conducted over the weekend.
IMO, this is a big vote of confidence in SA's festival state image. The Adelaide branch of WOMAD has been the guiding light for the other 7-8 WOMAD festivals worldwide. We continue to lead the way (and were the 1st WOMAD to actually make money)...

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#8 Post by Pistol » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:17 pm

Just recovering from the last three days out in the heat at WOMADelaide. First one and I have to say it is one of the best music events I have ever been to. There were some issues that need to be addressed but making this into a four day event would only make it bigger than it currently is.

Bring on the WOMAD Earth Station - that sounds brilliant.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by Wayno » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:40 pm

Pistol78 wrote:Just recovering from the last three days out in the heat at WOMADelaide. First one and I have to say it is one of the best music events I have ever been to. There were some issues that need to be addressed but making this into a four day event would only make it bigger than it currently is.

pistol78, I agree 100%! and maybe even a bit more...

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#10 Post by Cruise » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:50 pm

Wayno wrote:
Pistol78 wrote:Just recovering from the last three days out in the heat at WOMADelaide. First one and I have to say it is one of the best music events I have ever been to. There were some issues that need to be addressed but making this into a four day event would only make it bigger than it currently is.

101% maybe?

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#11 Post by Wayno » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:55 pm

Cruise wrote:
Wayno wrote:

101% maybe?
that's a bit excessive...