Tour Down Under

All event related discussion should go here.. e.g. Clipsal 500, Womadelaide, SALA, etc.
claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Tour Down Under

#106 Post by claybro » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:41 pm

Maximus wrote:Very surprised to have only just discovered this media release. Doesn't appear to have received any coverage in the Radvertiser or anywhere else. Nevertheless, a very good news story.
Hope the Melbourne papers dont notice the release either. The Victorians are desperate to get their hands on TDU.

Nathan

#107 Post by Nathan » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:12 pm

claybro wrote:Hope the Melbourne papers dont notice the release either. The Victorians are desperate to get their hands on TDU.
But haven't we covered already the fact that they can't?

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#108 Post by spiller » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:04 pm

claybro wrote:
Maximus wrote:Very surprised to have only just discovered this media release. Doesn't appear to have received any coverage in the Radvertiser or anywhere else. Nevertheless, a very good news story.
Hope the Melbourne papers dont notice the release either. The Victorians are desperate to get their hands on TDU.
Id take a straight swap TDU for the F1 Aus GP :D

Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

#109 Post by Shahkar » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:23 pm

spiller wrote:
claybro wrote:

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#110 Post by Wayno » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:27 am

Just sharing a TDU related side-benefit story. In my job I talk regularly with folk worldwide - most weeks I'm on the phone with folk from Europe, Asia and the US. Had an early meeting today 5:30am with some US East coast guys. They realized I was from Australia and unprovoked asked if I was from Adelaide South Australia! :-). Turns out they are mad keen cyclists and are planning to spend a couple of weeks here for the 2014 TDU. The race coverage in the US is apparently pretty good although mostly late-evening delayed telecast.

This is not a one time phenomenon. Cycling is an increasingly popular sport and other folk from other countries i've spoken with also know about Adelaide simply due to the TDU.

[edit]GreenEDGE won today's Tour De France stage! This also helps promote our TDU.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#111 Post by Maximus » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:41 pm

Great little story, Wayno. I love those sort of anecdotes.

We should hear details of the route for 2014 soon. Previous form has been to release the route just before the start of the Tour de France, but not this year it seems. I imagine we'll hear something shortly after Le Tour has been completed.
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#112 Post by rev » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:00 pm

spiller wrote:
claybro wrote:
No, we should steal our F1 race back from those inbreds across the border, and bring back the Le Mans night race.
Lets steal MotoGp too.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#113 Post by Maximus » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:40 am

Maximus wrote:Great little story, Wayno. I love those sort of anecdotes.

We should hear details of the route for 2014 soon. Previous form has been to release the route just before the start of the Tour de France, but not this year it seems. I imagine we'll hear something shortly after Le Tour has been completed.
Actually, we don't have to wait... Just announced:

http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/2014-sa ... asions.htm

No great surprises in that route, I don't think. Good to see Corkscrew Hill retained. Should be another balanced route giving opportunities for riders of all persuasions.

Nathan

#114 Post by Nathan » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:53 am

Interesting that they're going to change up the two city circuits. Surely they wouldn't change the final stage that much, as I'd imagine they'd want to show off all the new shiny things (Adelaide Oval, Footbridge, Convention Centre, SAHMRI) to the cameras.

While they're changing things up, it wouldn't hurt to retire that bloody "wheels in motion" song they play on repeat over the speakers.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#115 Post by Maximus » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:39 am

I'm not sad to see them change the city circuits a bit. I'll look forward to see what they do. I've always thought a start/finish line on North Tce would work well and help to promote our 'cultural boulevard'.

As for retiring that song... OMG yes!

Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

#116 Post by Shahkar » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:41 pm

Deal done for 2014 Tour Down Under international TV distribution rights
10 July 2013

Tourism Minister Leon Bignell has announced a new agreement with Tour de France organisers, Amaury Sports Organisation, for the 2014 Santos Tour Down Under international TV distribution rights.

Mr Bignell yesterday met with Amaury Sports Organisation officials at stage 10 of the Tour de France at Saint-Gildas-des-Bois, securing a new three year deal for the rights.

“This is the same organisation that distributes the TV coverage of the Tour de France and continuing the relationship will have obvious benefits for South Australia and the race,” Mr Bignell said.

“We also discussed ways of expanding the coverage to more networks and to key tourism markets over more hours.

“International broadcasts of the Santos Tour Down Under showcase South Australia's pristine beaches, wine regions and towns to television and radio audiences around the world.

“The last two years have seen the Adelaide race increase its TV presence in the key tourism markets of the UK, Europe and the US, exposing South Australia and the event to an even greater global audience.”

Mr Bignell said the success so far of the two year partnership between the Santos Tour Down Under and Amaury Sports Organisation is evident in the results.

“With 306 hours of international television coverage screened this year, a 60 hour increase on the 246 hours achieved in 2012, it makes sense to grow and extend this partnership,” he said.

The 2013 Santos Tour Down Under was broadcast on the following international TV networks:

• Africa and Middle East - pan regional, Supersport, Asia - pan regional, EUROSPORT Asia, Canada, Sportsnet and RDS, France, Sport+, Japan, JSPORTS, Italy, RAI Sport 2, Malaysia, Astro Supersport, New Zealand, Sky TV, Norway, TV2 Sport, South America – pan regional, TDN and DirecTV, UK, BSkyB, USA and NBC Sport.

It received dedicated international news coverage in:

• Belgium, VTM and RTBF, France, L’Equipe 21 and France TV, Luxembourg, RTL, Netherlands, NOS, Norway, TV2 Sport, Pan Europe, Eurosportnews, Spain, Teledeporte, World Wide News, EVS , SNTV, Perform (Omnisport) and Reuters.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#117 Post by Maximus » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:32 am

New route for the opening criterium has been announced:
Tour Down Under gets new start for 2014
Reece Homfray The Advertiser
September 11, 20131:57PM

THE 2014 Tour Down Under will start with a criterium around the River Torrens in North Adelaide in a move away from Rymill Park.

The People's Choice Classic - a curtain raiser to the tour officially starting with Stage 1 - will take in Victoria Drive past Adelaide University, Frome Road and King William Road.

continues...

Route map

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#118 Post by Maximus » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:23 am

I can't see that this was reported anywhere, but the street circuit for the final stage has been revealed. It's something a bit different, starting in the eastern parklands, but then swinging round into the CBD proper and along Flinders St, Pirie St and Victoria Square. They must be very confident that the redevelopment of Vic Square will be ready by then!

PDF of race route is here.

Nathan

#119 Post by Nathan » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:49 am

Well they're supposed to be using the square for the tour village, so you'd hope it would be ready!

I notice that route goes past the Santos headquarters ;)

Vee
Legendary Member!

#120 Post by Vee » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:12 am

Cadel Evans to race in the 2014 Tour Down Under.
This news should please Aussie cycling fans and TDU organizers.
Cadel Evans (BMC Racing) has announced that he will kick off his 2014 season at the Santos Tour Down Under, in his first appearance at his home race since 2010. The former World champion, and 2011 Tour de France winner, will be structuring his season around a bid for victory at the Giro d’Italia in May, and so he will be working towards peak form far earlier in the year.

"With my focus on the Giro d'Italia, everything comes earlier in the year," Evans said. "There is also the team's desire to get the season off to a good start. I think with a bit harder course this year, it would be realistic to go for the overall."
More:
http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/15705 ... Under.aspx