Black Caviar to race at Morphetville

All event related discussion should go here.. e.g. Clipsal 500, Womadelaide, SALA, etc.
ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Black Caviar to race at Morphetville

#1 Post by ghs » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:55 pm

It's not 100% certain at this stage, but there's is some very strong rumours that Black Caviar
will race in Adelaide on April 28.

Will be a great event for Adelaide and I believe it will be at a good time of year - there's not
much else on at the end of April.

Stay tuned - there might be an announcement tomorrow.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

Re: Black Caviar to race at Morphetville

#2 Post by mattblack » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:01 pm

Confirmed today :banana:
Adelaide will play host to Black Caviar's attempt at a 20th victory, after the South Australian Jockey Club (SAJC) confirmed its negotiations with trainer Peter Moody had been successful.

The champion mare will attempt the record-breaking 20th race win next month, at Morphettville racecourse.

"Peter said we can take the Distinctive Goodwood as done, however he will also nominate her for the Sportingbet Classic Group 1 (Robert Sangster Stakes) to be run on the 28th of April 2012," SAJC CEO Brenton Wilkinson said.

"Black Caviar will be having a Barrier Trial on the 19th of April in Melbourne and following that Peter will assess how forward she is to also run in this race."
The race is expected to be Black Caviar's last in Australia before she attempts an international campaign.

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#3 Post by dsriggs » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:07 pm

Fantastic

Vee
Legendary Member!

#4 Post by Vee » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:20 pm

Great coup for the SAJC and Adelaide.

Black Caviar has captured the imagination of the nation. It's not often that you get to see a real champion in action, animal or human, irrespective of the sport.

Fingers crossed for good weather and track.

SouthAussie94
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by SouthAussie94 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:29 pm

It'd be really bad if she didn't win...

Great news though
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

ghs

#6 Post by ghs » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:42 pm

It's great that we are going to have an major event which has not been funded by the SA Government.

Also I think it's good timing as well - this time of year there's not a lot else happening in Adelaide.

ghs

#7 Post by ghs » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:29 pm

Confirmed today that Black Caviar will run twice in Adelaide on April 28 and also on May 12.

Great News !

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#8 Post by dsriggs » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:54 pm

Shame they had to limit the crowd to 30,000. You'd think a racecourse could hold a few thousand more.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by Ben » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:36 am

Do they really need to open with that line?
Black Caviar's Adelaide appearance was the biggest thing to happen to SA racing in 50 years
by: Brendan Cormick From: The Australian April 30, 2012 12:00AM

IT could be argued, as racing goes, South Australia is a backwater.

Of the mainland states, it offers the lowest prizemoney levels on basic race cards. The state that produced champions such as 1960s cult horse Tobin Bronze hasn't generated an awe-inspiring thoroughbred since Dulcify in the 70s and Rubiton in the 80s.

Many great trainers, including Bart Cummings, Colin Hayes, John Hawkes, David Hayes, David Hall and Mark Kavanagh, have cut their teeth in South Australia, but had to leave for Victoria or NSW to make their name.

In 1961 Tulloch travelled to Adelaide in a bid to become the first Australian racehorse to top pound stg. 100,000. It is an indictment on the past committees, administrations and governments that Black Caviar's performance in winning the Sportingbet Classic at Morphettville on Saturday, drawing 30,000 people to the course, is the biggest thing to happen to SA racing for more than 50 years.

That is unless you include the appearance of pop princess Kylie Minogue's appearance at the Adelaide Cup race meeting in 1998. She pulled 37,000 through the turnstiles and didn't sing a note.

And it would be fair to say that Black Caviar was revered as if she were a rock star or a movie icon.

Those not among the 30,000 sell-out crowd stood three-deep behind the cyclone wire fence in Bray Street, which runs parallel to the back straight.

In England, Ireland, Dubai and the US, the race was telecast live. It is doubtful Adelaide has had as much exposure since it lost the Australian Formula One Grand Prix in 1995.

Matt Chapman from British channel At The Races flew out to interview trainer Peter Moody and watch the salmon and black silks flash past the post for a record 20th time before Black Caviar's overseas mission at Royal Ascot when she runs in the Diamond Jubilee Stakes on June 23.

"Gotta say the atmosphere here in Adelaide is amazing . . . school kids saying: 'Oh my God, I'm going to see Black Caviar'. #differentworld," Chapman tweeted to his 13,000 followers.

Songwriter Burt Bacharach walked on stage at the Sydney Opera House and opened by lavishing praise on Black Caviar.

Everybody who went on Saturday was given a ticket providing free admission on all days before the end of the year except Goodwood and Melbourne Cup days. How many will be at Morphettville when Black Caviar returns for The Goodwood on Saturday week, especially as it clashes with the AFL game between Adelaide and Geelong?

How many will go to the races when there is no Black Caviar?

As great a promotional exercise as it was, it's probably not enough. That won't deter the present racing administrators from taking a page out of Bacharach's songbook and Wishin' and Hopin'.

mutt
High Rise Poster!

#10 Post by mutt » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:59 pm

moving the Adelaide Cup was the worst thing they ever did

ghs

#11 Post by ghs » Sun May 06, 2012 4:07 pm

Saturday the 12th of May should be a big day for SA sports fans.

The crows who are in very good form will play last year's premiers (Geelong) in front of 40,000+ at AAMI.
Black Caviar will be racing again in front of 30,000 at Morphetville.

Let's hope the weather is good.

In my lifetime I cannot remember having two big sporting events like this on a single day in Adelaide.

Alyx
High Rise Poster!

#12 Post by Alyx » Wed May 09, 2012 3:24 pm

Messenger News wrote:BLACK Caviar will be given the keys to the City of Marion if the champion mare wins her 21st consecutive race at Morphettville on Saturday.

Marion’s Mayor Felicity-ann Lewis will present the keys to the horse’s trainer Peter Moody if she wins The Goodwood in front of an expected 30,000 onlookers.

Ms Lewis said the horse’s appearance at the city’s premier racetrack was not something that should be underestimated.

“Over the past month, the success of Black Caviar has flowed into shops, restaurants and hotels in Marion,” Ms Lewis said.

The Council agreed to bestow the award at its meeting last night.
http://guardian-messenger.whereilive.co ... ck-caviar/

ghs

#13 Post by ghs » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:27 pm

I've been doing some reading on the internet and I think there's a fairly good chance that
Black Caviar could return to Adelaide again this year (2013). Her next race is tomorrow in Sydney and
then she could run at Morpettville on the 27th April and/or the 11th May.

We should find out next week.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by monotonehell » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:10 pm

ghs wrote:I've been doing some reading on the internet and I think there's a fairly good chance that
Black Caviar could return to Adelaide again this year (2013). Her next race is tomorrow in Sydney and
then she could run at Morpettville on the 27th April and/or the 11th May.

We should find out next week.
I guess not then ;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#15 Post by Phantom » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:18 am

I do wish she had ran a final race, so we all knew it was going to be her last, rather than us being told afterwards! Mind you, she is a 6yo now and not getting any younger! Still though, 30 wins and $10,000,000 in prize money does sound a lot more round than 25 wins and $7,950,000... I dunno, maybe I'm just greedy to see more of something so good? :P
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"