CAR rallies in the Adelaide Hills are under threat because the local council says they can't proceed unless every person on the proposed route agrees.
Only one person on the route has to refuse permission and an event will not be allowed to proceed.
The Tour Down Under is unlikely to be affected because it involves rolling road closures, not permanent closures for lengthy periods.
Tourism and car racing officials say events under threat from the move include the Bay to Birdwood, the CAMS Tarmac Rally and the Targa Rally - formerly the Classic Adelaide Rally.
At a meeting in March, the Adelaide Hills Council passed two motions agreeing to the Adelaide Hills Tarmac Rally and the Scouts Rally SA 2012, but made it clear each was "subject to organisers obtaining the written agreement of every resident along each planned special stage".
The motions also call for organisers to conduct post-event community consultation and report their findings to the council within two months of the event. Council chief executive Peter Peppin said yesterday the council was still receiving feedback from rally organisers and could reconsider its position at a meeting next week.
The Advertiser understands both the SA Tourism Commission and the Confederation of Australian Motor Sport had written to the council protesting against at the move.
The Tourism Commission is "seriously alarmed" by the decision because it could result in the cancellation of tarmac rally events.
Organisers of the Scouts Rally have been doorknocking on the proposed route of this year's rally in a bid to get full co-operation.
On one section of the route, they only obtained 95 per cent acceptance.
Events SA general manager Hitaf Rasheed said she had been surprised to hear of the council's decision especially considering that in previous dealings with the council it had been very supportive of these types of events.
"We are hopeful the council will change its decision and we have written to it asking for the issue to be reconsidered," she said.
CAMS chief executive David Morgan said the conditions were absurd because the event had been running through the Hills for decades with only a small number of complaints from residents.
"We hope common sense prevails and I am quite confident we can work it through with the council," he said.
All event related discussion should go here.. e.g. Clipsal 500, Womadelaide, SALA, etc.
1 post • Page 1 of 1
- VIP Member
- Posts: 5138
- Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:18 pm
- Location: Torrens Park
- Has thanked: 86 times
- Been thanked: 130 times
An example of a suburban council at their worst.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest