Velo Adelaide 500

All event related discussion should go here.. e.g. Clipsal 500, Womadelaide, SALA, etc.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Clipsal 500

#46 Post by Norman » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:11 pm

I believe an agreement was reached that the Adelaide 500 will be the first race of the year until 2021 or 2022.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Clipsal 500

#47 Post by Nathan » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:17 pm

For an ISP, it was quite amusing that their website was dead immediately after the announcement yesterday. “Super”.

Bob
High Rise Poster!

Re: Superloop 500

#48 Post by Bob » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:37 am

The Adelaide 500 motorsport event has just recorded its lowest crowd attendance in 17 years.

Apparently, SA Tourism has been tasked with managing a ‘postmortem’ into why this occurred.

I believe there is only one more year left to run on the current contract, to host this event.

Is this going to be an excuse for the State Govt to close this event off as it has done to other events & potential events, under the guise of ‘no longer economically beneficial to the state’?

Let’s see where this goes over the next few months, with Holden leaving the Supercar series at the end of the year, and a twitchy State Govt towards events, this could get messy.

SBD

#49 Post by SBD » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:16 am

Bob wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:37 am
The Adelaide 500 motorsport event has just recorded its lowest crowd attendance in 17 years.

Apparently, SA Tourism has been tasked with managing a ‘postmortem’ into why this occurred.

I believe there is only one more year left to run on the current contract, to host this event.

Is this going to be an excuse for the State Govt to close this event off as it has done to other events & potential events, under the guise of ‘no longer economically beneficial to the state’?

Let’s see where this goes over the next few months, with Holden leaving the Supercar series at the end of the year, and a twitchy State Govt towards events, this could get messy.
What have you heard that could suggest that the state government would be "looking for an excuse" to close it off?

If this event is supposed to be a major drawcard for interstate tourism, it's appropriate for SA Tourism to make sure it understands why the attendance was lower this year - starting with determining if the decline was from "locals" or interstate or overseas tourists. If you don't know what the problem is, it's very hard to land on the right solution, rather than just throwing money in random directions and hoping. We'd be critical of the government doing that, too.

Federal government restrictions on overseas travel could be a contributing factor, but it's better to know that than guess and be wrong.

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#50 Post by Bob » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:27 am

SBD wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:16 am
Bob wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:37 am

What have you heard that could suggest that the state government would be "looking for an excuse" to close it off?

If this event is supposed to be a major drawcard for interstate tourism, it's appropriate for SA Tourism to make sure it understands why the attendance was lower this year - starting with determining if the decline was from "locals" or interstate or overseas tourists. If you don't know what the problem is, it's very hard to land on the right solution, rather than just throwing money in random directions and hoping. We'd be critical of the government doing that, too.

Federal government restrictions on overseas travel could be a contributing factor, but it's better to know that than guess and be wrong.
We will see what the postmortem conclusion is but based on this current State Govt track record so far in supporting events, you don’t get a warm feeling.

In recent months they have cancelled support for the annual motorsport festival in Victoria Park, cancelled support for the fashion festival, withdrew from the Commonwealth Games bid, withdrew from the Bledisloe Cup bid, and on top of that an underswell of high profile people want motor racing moved away from the East Parklands.

I would be confident the conclusion will show that the virus had nothing to with this years event, the withdrawal of Holden had nothing to do with this year’s event as the announcement came out when the event was starting, it is a 99% domestic market for paying spectators and with the State Government’s current approach of everything must be economically beneficial is fine, but they don’t release those findings to the public for scrutiny (example CW games bid). If other governments had this approach there would be no supporting of major events, imagine the Victorian Govt not supporting these types of events? The State Govt needs more transparency when hiding behind these ‘not economically beneficial to the state’ statements. That was my main point.

My original post was to highlight that the future of this event may be clouded.

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#51 Post by Bob » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:18 am

And for what’s it worth, I think the State Govt may want to consider changing the focus of any future motorsport event in the parklands once the Supercar hold is over after next year’s event.

Consideration should be given to changing to an ‘Adelaide Motorsport Festival’ with the State Govt as the ultimate owner but contracting to expertise so the structure of the event has a wider appeal.

Some suggestions for consideration:

Extend the event and incorporate a major car show at the same time at the Showgrounds.
Bring in Electric car categories both tin top & open wheeler to show off the future.
Retain whatever the Supercar category becomes in the future on the program.
Show support to lower categories by scheduling Formula Ford & Formula 3.
Demonstrate local support to racing – go-karts, sports cars etc that used to race on local tracks.
Have a racing car display & booth in Rundle Mall for the entire duration of the Festival.
Ensure General Admission provides a wider trackside experience.
Consider after race concerts being split to Saturday night for Australian artists and pay for one big International artist to perform every year after race on Sunday night for added appeal.
Consider removing the short leg on Hutt Street and keeping the circuit on East Tce proper from Wakefield St to Bartels Rd, this would remove Hutt St disruption, especially important if a future City Tram loop needs this road to be clear.

I could keep adding more and more to this list but that’s it for this morning…

Ho Really

#52 Post by Ho Really » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:17 pm

Two suggestions Bob:

1. Send your completed list to your local MP and to the appropriate minister(s).
2. A future tram loop should go down Frome or Pulteney Street not Hutt Street. Amend that on your list.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#53 Post by rev » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:06 pm

You're right, I think they need to turn it into more of a motorsport festival, except on the same site not spread across various sites.
Australia has a rich motoring and motor racing history, on two and four wheels. Celebrate it with a full blown festival.
There's HEAPS of small 'manufacturers' who have and are making their own super-car/hyper-car from all over the world. BRING THEM TO ADELAIDE. We even have one made right here in Adelaide ffs, the Brabham BT62.

It should be moved to the March long weekend, or a new long weekend created for it in late spring or early December.

I've said it before, they need to bring the Formula E to Adelaide. From the 2020/21 season it's going to be an FIA World Championship series officially. It has it's own support series as well. Like I said above with bringing these exotic super & hyper cars here, a lot of them now coming out are electric which would tie in with Formula E.

This type of motor racing will appeal to a broader audience then your typical Supercars audience.

SBD

#54 Post by SBD » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:43 pm

Bob wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:18 am
And for what’s it worth, I think the State Govt may want to consider changing the focus of any future motorsport event in the parklands once the Supercar hold is over after next year’s event.

Consideration should be given to changing to an ‘Adelaide Motorsport Festival’ with the State Govt as the ultimate owner but contracting to expertise so the structure of the event has a wider appeal.

Some suggestions for consideration:

Extend the event and incorporate a major car show at the same time at the Showgrounds.
Bring in Electric car categories both tin top & open wheeler to show off the future.
Retain whatever the Supercar category becomes in the future on the program.
Show support to lower categories by scheduling Formula Ford & Formula 3.
Demonstrate local support to racing – go-karts, sports cars etc that used to race on local tracks.
Have a racing car display & booth in Rundle Mall for the entire duration of the Festival.
Ensure General Admission provides a wider trackside experience.
Consider after race concerts being split to Saturday night for Australian artists and pay for one big International artist to perform every year after race on Sunday night for added appeal.
Consider removing the short leg on Hutt Street and keeping the circuit on East Tce proper from Wakefield St to Bartels Rd, this would remove Hutt St disruption, especially important if a future City Tram loop needs this road to be clear.

I could keep adding more and more to this list but that’s it for this morning…
Not a bad list, but don't we already have an Adelaide Motorsport Festival around the Adelaide Rally?

I'd also say "no" to gokarts - they are too dangerous on big tracks. I loved the international Sports Car race on New Year's Eve 20 years ago, which I think was the last race on the grand prix track.

Getting a round of the international Formula E electric cars and Roborace support would be a great advert for South Australia's renewable energy and high-tech credentials (if we still have the RE ones), close to Lot 14. I think the Supercar people did not really like sharing the track with open-wheel cars, so tended to make the schedule (and probably the entry fees) awkward for the competitors, who are mostly not professionals with big sponsors.

Nathan

#55 Post by Nathan » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:25 pm

Formula-E would be a perfect fit — the Adelaide Street Circuit is exactly the kind of track they like, and it straddles our renewable energy ambitions with our car making and motorsport history.

You're more limited with support races though, I believe they won't share a track with ICE categories. It's pretty much the Jaguar I-Pace race as support.

I was disappointed with the way Superloop organisers treated the Formula 1 heritage demonstration this year. I went on Saturday with my son, for whom the old F1 cars were a must see, and they cancelled them with no announcement (apparently some earlier supports ran over time, and the F1 cars were the lucky ones to be cut to make up). Apparently they only did 1 lap on the Sunday.

We had a good time on the Saturday, although I think the overall experience was better last year (despite the heat). The tracks of the world zones introduced last year were really good, but we didn't get to explore them as much this year as they moved the family area away from being adjacent to them just before the infield hairpin, over to next to CBC oval. The only one we got to see was the newly added Suzuka area, which was pretty lacklustre (although a good corner to watch from).

cmet
High Rise Poster!

#56 Post by cmet » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:35 am

Nathan wrote:Formula-E would be a perfect fit — the Adelaide Street Circuit is exactly the kind of track they like, and it straddles our renewable energy ambitions with our car making and motorsport history.

You're more limited with support races though, I believe they won't share a track with ICE categories. It's pretty much the Jaguar I-Pace race as support.

I was disappointed with the way Superloop organisers treated the Formula 1 heritage demonstration this year. I went on Saturday with my son, for whom the old F1 cars were a must see, and they cancelled them with no announcement (apparently some earlier supports ran over time, and the F1 cars were the lucky ones to be cut to make up). Apparently they only did 1 lap on the Sunday.

We had a good time on the Saturday, although I think the overall experience was better last year (despite the heat). The tracks of the world zones introduced last year were really good, but we didn't get to explore them as much this year as they moved the family area away from being adjacent to them just before the infield hairpin, over to next to CBC oval. The only one we got to see was the newly added Suzuka area, which was pretty lacklustre (although a good corner to watch from).
Never thought of this. I think FE makes really good sense actually!

Ho Really

#57 Post by Ho Really » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:19 pm

Here are some screenshots from the RAAF video of the F/A-18A Hornet aerial display at the 2020 Superloop Adelaide 500.

Picked the images that had the CBD in view.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#58 Post by SRW » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:18 pm

No 500 next year for Victoria Park, so we are graciously spared the 3 months of unsightly and expensive construction in the park lands:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-03/ ... e/12624844
Oddly, The Bend isn't in consideration as a replacement venue.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Nathan

#59 Post by Nathan » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:01 pm

SRW wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:18 pm
No 500 next year for Victoria Park, so we are graciously spared the 3 months of unsightly and expensive construction in the park lands:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-03/ ... e/12624844
Oddly, The Bend isn't in consideration as a replacement venue.
The Bend is a completely different race, and will be on the calendar regardless.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#60 Post by rev » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:41 am

No 500 in the city would be a huge loss. Doesn't really make sense to blame the pandemic when we are having football with 20,000 spectators going.
Masks are supposed to protect you? Why can't the riggers putting up grand stands and marquees where masks?
The street circuit event, either for the Supercars or another major category (hopefully international) should be maintained. It is unique and something special about Adelaide.

The NBA is running with virtual fans.
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/surr ... behind-it/

Australia is so behind on everything, no innovation left.

While we're on the topic of The Bend they're considering making a bid to temporarily host the Australian F1 GP if Melbourne is unable to host it. Would be good for The Bend, but if the F1 was to ever come back, it should be at the street circuit.