Adelaide Oval news and events

All event related discussion should go here.. e.g. Clipsal 500, Womadelaide, SALA, etc.
ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

#196 Post by ghs » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:35 pm

Mundine vs Danny Green Feb 3, 2017
Organisers expect and attendance of around 40,000 at the revamped Adelaide Oval will eclipse the all-time record for an Australian boxing crowd. The fight is also tipped to set a new national pay-per-view record.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#197 Post by Brucetiki » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:40 pm

40,000 or 4,000.

Seems they'e overestimated the interest in the bout.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#198 Post by ml69 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:40 pm

Brucetiki wrote:40,000 or 4,000.

Seems you're underestimating it.

40,000 is a distinct possibility. A Jeff Fenech bout in the 1990's drew 35,000 to Princes Park in Melbourne.

Patrick_27

#199 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:04 pm

ml69 wrote:

40,000 is a distinct possibility. A Jeff Fenech bout in the 1990's drew 35,000 to Princes Park in Melbourne.
The last match off about five years ago in Sydney saw 35,000 spectators. Personally, I don't really see the hype, seems to be this lame 'macho' competition but apparently many others enjoy it. Can't say that AO is an ideal venue for it either, any wonder how people in the stands will see anything of worth...

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#200 Post by rev » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:57 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
ml69 wrote:

The last match off about five years ago in Sydney saw 35,000 spectators. Personally, I don't really see the hype, seems to be this lame 'macho' competition but apparently many others enjoy it. Can't say that AO is an ideal venue for it either, any wonder how people in the stands will see anything of worth...
If I was to make similar derogatory remarks about the feast festival, or the various arts events, there'd be a lot of people whose politically correct sensitivities were offended and violated.
Yes boxing among other combat sports is a macho thing largely although there are women who fight.
Seeing men fight to see whose the more skilled and capable fighter might be lame for you but for many others all over the world it's something they enjoy.

How many people this will draw in who knows, it's Adelaide.

And how will specators see anything? The same way 56,000 spectators saw UFC 193 at Melbournes Etihad stadium. And that word record crowd was there to see two women fight for a title.

The only thing wrong with the Green Mundine fight is that our government has paid for it.
If Adelaide Oval is so good as a multi use venue than we shouldn't be forking out anything to stage events there.

What I think would be a good way to hold this would be to place the ring just inside the 50m arc on the southern side of the oval and on the eastern part of the field erect a temporary grand stand with two big screens on either side. The field surrounding the ring will be (very expensive) floor seats.
I hope they don't think they'll be able to pull off what UFC did in Melbourne at Etihad.

Patrick_27

#201 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:37 am

rev wrote:If I was to make similar derogatory remarks about the feast festival, or the various arts events, there'd be a lot of people whose politically correct sensitivities were offended and violated.
Yes boxing among other combat sports is a macho thing largely although there are women who fight.
Seeing men fight to see whose the more skilled and capable fighter might be lame for you but for many others all over the world it's something they enjoy.
I wasn't referring the sport, boxing, in my remarks. More-so the relationship/rivalry between these two fighters. I have a lot of respect for the code at Olympic level but their attitude comes across as lame and a matter who has the bigger genitals (excuse the expression).

Regarding your comments on the government paying for it... I think our government are merely trying to demonstrate the oval's multi-purpose value for sporting/entertainment events. Hence why (at this point) they've funded a major rock concert, an international football team game, and now a major boxing competition. So long as there is a return on investment, we shouldn't be concerned with what the government chipped in. And I'm sure in the future it will pay off in terms of sporting and entertainment event organisers coming to the oval's management wishing to book the venue.

claybro

#202 Post by claybro » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:04 pm

I'm not in to boxing, but I think this is great publicity for AO and Adelaide in general. there has already been some bleating in the press over here about how the WA gov was outbid for this. They were hoping to hold it at the 14000 seat Perth Arena. I think if AO is set up right, this could be quite a spectacular event, and as Patrick says, is demonstrating the multi functionality of the oval. Once again it demonstrates AO has been the catalyst for some real tangible activity in Adelaide.

PeFe

#203 Post by PeFe » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:42 pm

Another "event" for Adelaide Oval....this time a rugby league match. It will be interesting to see how many interstate fans travel to the game. League attracts a very working class group of supporters who (in general) prefer to watch the game on television (this is why rugby league crowds in Sydney are a joke compared to the numbers at an AFL game in Melbourne)

And league is played on soccer grounds so I dont think Adelaide Oval will be such a great spectator experience.

Anyway time will tell...good choice of teams though, one from Sydney and the Melbourne Storm, hopefully the hotels will sell out that weekend.

From The ABC
Adelaide Oval to host Sydney Roosters, Melbourne Storm NRL match in 2017 season

Adelaide Oval will host a NRL match between the Sydney Roosters and Melbourne Storm during the 2017 season, the South Australian Government has announced.

It will be a home game for the Roosters, and will be played on a Saturday in June.

The official date will be announced on Thursday when the season fixture is released.

Sport Minister Leon Bignell said hosting the match will be an economic boost for the state.

"I think it'll be fantastic," Mr Bignell said.

"What we know about the fans from both states is they travel, that's what we want to see.

"A State of Origin match would lift the roof. We know it's the noisiest stadium in Australia, it's the best stadium in Australia for so many different sports."

Sydney Roosters chief executive John Lee said rugby league was keen to see the game grow in South Australia.

"There's no doubt that there is an appetite for rugby league in South Australia, and we are delighted to confirm that the Roosters will be playing a home game in Adelaide next season," Mr Lee said.

"We are keen to do what we can to continue to grow the game of rugby league in Adelaide and we're looking forward to engaging with the local community in lead-up to the game."

Roosters coach Trent Robinson said the team was keen to play at the iconic oval.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-20/a ... section=sa

PeFe

#204 Post by PeFe » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:25 pm

And all part of a larger plan (I didn't see this article when I posted the one above).....the South Australian government is angling for a rugby league state of origin game to be played in Adelaide.

From The Advertiser
Adelaide Oval could host a State of Origin clash after SA government strikes NRL deal for 2017

THE South Australian Government has set its sights on hosting a blockbuster NRL State-of-Origin match at Adelaide Oval after striking a deal to play a club match for points at the venue next season.

It was announced on Sunday that the Sydney Roosters will play a home game against the Melbourne Storm at The Oval on a Saturday night in June next year — the date will be revealed when the draw is released this week — but the government is chasing an even bigger fish.

“This match is a fantastic win for South Australia and I would love to see it pave the way for Adelaide to host one of sport’s most iconic rivalries — (New South Wales-Queensland) State-of-Origin,’’ SA Tourism Minister Leon Bignell said.

Cameron Smith holds the series trophy after game three of the 2016 State of Origin series

“We’ve put an extra $70 million of taxpayers money into the tourism budget to go out and get major events like the Sydney Roosters versus Melbourne Storm game but we want to do more.

“We have made no secret of it with the NRL that we would love to ge a State-of-Origin match here.

“There is no better rivalry in Australian sport than the NSW versus Queensland State-of-Origin clashes and we think Adelaide Oval would be an electric atmosphere to have a State-of-Origin game, it would lift the roof off The Oval.’’

The three-match State-of-Origin Series have traditionally been held on a home-and-away-basis.

But the NRL has been keen to take one match of he series away from Queensland and New South Wales, with Melbourne previously hosting games.

Two matches are scheduled for Brisbane next season and one for Sydney, with Melbourne’s MCG hosting a game in 2018 and Perth locked in for 2019.

New Zealand has joined Adelaide in putting its hand up to host one of sport’s grandest events.

NRL head of football Brian Canavan said next year’s Roosters-Storm clash “will be a very significant pointer to what may happen down the track’’.

“Hopefully this game will be an annual fixture, the Roosters playing somebody during the NRL season,’’ he said.

“And it is well known that the NRL wishes to take a State-of-Origin game away from the two of the traditional states.

“Currently there are three games in the series and the desire is for one of those games is to be taken to another state, so down the track we would like to think that Adelaide Oval is in very strong contention to be one of those venues.’’

The NRL is expecting a crowd of about 30,000 for the Roosters-Storm match, which will be the first NRL game held in Adelaide for premiership points since the Canterbury Bulldogs played the Melbourne Storm in 2011.

Adelaide fielded a team, the Adelaide Rams, in the Super League competition in 1997 and 1998.

Bignell said hosting an NRL match for premiership points “adds another piece in the jigsaw’’ for rebuilt Adelaide Oval, which will play home to the Anthony Mundine versus Danny Green rematch on February 3.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/nrl ... 629af51950

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#205 Post by dsriggs » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:41 pm

But why, though? Rugby league is dead in this state & has been ever since the NRL pulled the Rams out.

Waewick

#206 Post by Waewick » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:21 pm

True, rather more union.

ghs

#207 Post by ghs » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:12 pm

dsriggs wrote:But why, though? Rugby league is dead in this state & has been ever since the NRL pulled the Rams out.
30,000 spectators for a rugby league game between Melbourne and Sydney ?

I agree, I think the state government has got it wrong here.

If people from Melbourne are interested in coming to Adelaide for a weekend then they would be more likely to
come for an AFL match rather then rugby.

Adele has also just been announced for Adelaide oval on March 13.

PeFe

#208 Post by PeFe » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:18 pm

dsriggs wrote:But why, though? Rugby league is dead in this state & has been ever since the NRL pulled the Rams out.
I think they are counting on any New South Welshmen and Queenslanders living in South Australia who want to see some live rugby league coming to this game as well as the interstate visitors.

Not such a bad idea.....even if they only get 20,000 at the game, the television numbers could get upwards maybe 800,000 (?) free to air and Foxtel.

All about brand Adelaide Oval/South Australia......good short to medium term strategy increasing awareness amongst the NSW/Queensland working class of Adelaide and South Australia.

PeFe

#209 Post by PeFe » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:49 pm

Honest to god, I didn't start out the day thinking "I must post as many news articles on Adelaide Oval as possible".....but

Adelaide United chairman says Reds need new stadium next to Adelaide to grow their supporter base and become a more successful club.

From The Herald Sun
CBD stadium a must for United but an Adelaide Oval move is flagged offside by Sports Minister

SOUTH Australia’s premier soccer club cannot grow without a new city stadium situated nearby Adelaide Oval, according to Adelaide United chairman Greg Griffin.

Mr Griffin said there was currently no incentive for the Reds to recruit a marquee player without a new stadium — located within the Adelaide Oval sporting precinct — that is capable of holding up to 30,000 people.

“Would we like a to recruit marquee player? Yes, of course,” Mr Griffin told the Sunday Mail.

“But we can’t get a return on investment because we’re going to sell out our stadium anyway ... we need a bigger stadium that needs to be filled and that’s what marquee players do — they put bums on seats.

“Overseas experience has shown us that unless you control or own your stadium, you stagnate.”

Yet, less than half (44 per cent) of respondents to the Sunday Mail’s Your Say survey were in favour of a new stadium for United.

Drawing comparisons with the now-abandoned Football Park, Mr Griffin said United’s existing facility at Hindmarsh lacks the required public transport connections.

“The problem with the location of Hindmarsh is that there’s nothing else there, it’s just not the right location to grow the game,” he said.

“Look at Port Adelaide, they couldn’t get a (good) crowd (at Football Park), now they get terrific crowds — what was the cause of that? They moved to Adelaide Oval.

“Being in the (Oval) precinct is an incredibly important part for us. If we were in it, you’d expect us to grow from the 15,000s, which is basically the capped level at Hindmarsh, to the 25s and 30s (thousand).”

The Reds currently use Adelaide Oval for a small number of key matches but Mr Griffin said AFL and cricket have a “stranglehold” over access.

“It’s almost wild luck (when United can use the facility),” he said.

Mr Griffin has his work cut out for him in convincing the State Government, with Recreation and Sport Minister Leon Bignell against the Oval move despite being a “huge supporter of soccer in SA”.

“A soccer stadium can’t be built within the Adelaide Oval precinct because it would prevent us from ever hosting a Commonwealth Games or World Athletics Championship,” he said.

“Both of those events require a warm up track next to the main stadium.”

Mr Griffin said this was flawed thinking.

“You can’t plan a city and put everything on hold in the hope of maybe getting the Commonwealth Games in 10 or 20 years’ time,” he said.

Almost 60 per cent of survey respondents were against Adelaide bidding for the 2026 or 2030 Commonwealth Games, believing it to be a waste of money.

NEXT GENERATION: Adelaide United fans Leo Ganama, Amelia Booth and Luca Mancini. Picture: Tricia Watkinson.
Mr Griffin estimated the cost of a new stadium to be $200 million, funded via a private-public partnership (PPP).

“I know it’s a lot of money ... every new stadium in the world gets a contribution from government, simply because of the benefits it brings to the city,” he said.

“I suspect the three parties would be government, city council and the private investment as part of a PPP, which I think is the right way to go.”

Opposition spokesman for Recreation and Sport Tim Whetstone said he looked forward to a public conversation around a city soccer stadium, which he said would be great for Adelaide’s sporting reputation.

“I note if Adelaide is going to host the Commonwealth Games we will need a multipurpose stadium and I expect that to be part of the dialogue,” he said.

Lord Mayor Martin Haese said his view was that a soccer stadium nearby Adelaide Oval was an “exciting idea”.

“We have seen the many positive social, cultural and economic benefits as a result of the redevelopment of Adelaide Oval,” he said.

“If a purpose-built soccer stadium in the city can also deliver similar benefits, I believe it’s worth considering.”

Mr Griffin said even “non-soccer people” agree that a rectangular stadium would be the “final piece in the jigsaw” for the precinct.

“What Melbourne has shown (with its sporting precinct) is that having ready access to public transport is crucial — we’d have that as well, you could have three events happening at once and people could still get in and out very quick,” he said.

“I think it’s pretty exciting and it could potentially be better than Melbourne, which would make me very happy.”

Other key infrastructure findings:

PEOPLE are split 50-50 on whether SA needs another major infrastructure project like the Adelaide Oval or new RAH to get the construction economy moving;

SIXTY per cent believe a permanent grandstand should be built at Victoria Park for the Clipsal 500 car race;

MORE than half (55 per cent) are against a $250 million modern art gallery being built, while 20 per cent want one included as part of the redevelopment of the existing RAH site; and

ONE quarter are in favour of road tolls for both passenger vehicles and freight transport to accelerate road construction, compared to 19 per cent who said tolls should only apply to freight transport.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/nation ... e0758c7b62

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Adelaide Oval news and events

#210 Post by Will » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:30 pm

Didn't know the Women's and Children's Hospital was being replaced by a replica of the Rialto Building! :shock: