Adelaide Oval news and events

All event related discussion should go here.. e.g. Clipsal 500, Womadelaide, SALA, etc.
Nowlistencarefully
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Adelaide Oval news and events

#256 Post by Nowlistencarefully » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:18 pm

Given Adelaide or Pt. Moresby are currently the two remaining candidates for 2026 Commonwealth games and the Oval is earmarked for use in any successful bid. If Adelaide does succeed and accept do you think they be able to carefully augment/extend the western stand keeping lower level parts intact with another tier and improve facilities (weather proof the upper parts) with any funding that might get thrown its way. Possibly bringing capacity over 55000.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#257 Post by ml69 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:34 pm

Nowlistencarefully wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:18 pm
Given Adelaide or Pt. Moresby are currently the two remaining candidates for 2026 Commonwealth games and the Oval is earmarked for use in any successful bid. If Adelaide does succeed and accept do you think they be able to carefully augment/extend the western stand keeping lower level parts intact with another tier and improve facilities (weather proof the upper parts) with any funding that might get thrown its way. Possibly bringing capacity over 55000.
No. Adelaide Oval has enough capacity for the foreseeable future.

If any extra federal funding comes, it should go to funding a new multipurpose arena. Then sell off the Entertainment Centre site.

rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#258 Post by rev » Fri May 31, 2019 10:47 pm

U2 in November was announced today.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#259 Post by Kasey771 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:36 am

HiTouch wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:40 pm
Would they do the Superbowl in a city that doesn't have a team? The reason I say that is that there's not a huge demand for NRL to be in South Australia so I'm skeptical. If they were serious, they would set up a team here or announce that they're interested in investing in Adelaide to lead to setting up a team.

Not only is there next to no demand for Rugby League in SA. I'd say the number of South Australians who even know that Rugby and League are two different sports is pretty small!
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#260 Post by I Follow PAFC » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:15 pm

I am a Newcastle supporter wish league was on this weekend when there was no AFL.
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#261 Post by rev » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:42 pm

Kasey771 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:36 am
HiTouch wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:40 pm
Would they do the Superbowl in a city that doesn't have a team? The reason I say that is that there's not a huge demand for NRL to be in South Australia so I'm skeptical. If they were serious, they would set up a team here or announce that they're interested in investing in Adelaide to lead to setting up a team.

Not only is there next to no demand for Rugby League in SA. I'd say the number of South Australians who even know that Rugby and League are two different sports is pretty small!
I'm no fan of either league or union, but what do you base either point on exactly? A quick search paints a different picture..

Matches held here have routinely drawn around the 20,000~ mark or higher. For both union and league. We hosted two Union world cup matches in 2003 and around 60,000 people attended, 30,000 attended Argentina vs Ireland. The Rams had the fifth highest attendance records in the defunct Super League series, out of ten teams. Not bad for a state that apparently has no demand for the sport.

Personally I think if we built a new rectangular stadium in the city near Adelaide Oval for the soccer, we could get an NRL franchise setup here, or at the very least more NRL games hosted here which would show there is interest in the code which would entice more grass roots investment to grow their brand in South Australia which would eventually lead to a club being setup here.

Don't be surprised if within a decade the NRL setups two new clubs in Adelaide and Perth, especially if the TV rights deals keep getting bigger. Their current deal brings in $1.8 billion. The AFL's current deal is $2.5 billion, and A League $346 million. It's not like there's no clubs or leagues in SA. Some serious grass roots investment, and campaigning and marketing from the governing body similar to what the AFL is doing in league territory Western Sydney with the GWS Giants, or the A League is doing with the WSW in the same region, could pay off.

Plus, State of Origin is going to hosted here next year. I think you'll be surprised by just how many locals will attend.