website small outage today..

Anything to do with the running of the website. (e.g. Suggestions, bugs, etc)
Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

website small outage today..

#1 Post by Howie » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:51 pm

sorry we hit our bandwidth limit again.. i've upped it slightly, so we should be alright until the end of the month. Must be all those nimby's attacking our site :lol:

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: website small outage today..

#2 Post by Norman » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:42 pm

I've noticed that too, Howie. My photo site has been nuts with bandwidth usage for the last few months now. 5GB will do for now, but it's getting close to it.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by Howie » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:46 pm

That's alot of traffic Norm.

SensationalADELAIDE traffic is now sitting at around 21GB/month.. which is pretty insane considering what it was last year.. the growth has been enormous. We'll probably think about moving servers or buying some more bandwidth in the near future.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by Norman » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:49 pm

How much are you paying now?

My server is $10/month, with 2.5GB space and 5GB bandwidth. Domain name was 10 bucks for 2 years, which I have to renew soon.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by monotonehell » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:50 pm

Howie wrote:That's alot of traffic Norm.

SensationalADELAIDE traffic is now sitting at around 21GB/month.. which is pretty insane considering what it was last year.. the growth has been enormous. We'll probably think about moving servers or buying some more bandwidth in the near future.
Well considering that Norm's Underground-dreams map has been between 4 and 8MB a hit... ;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Howie » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:51 pm

it's around $400-500 per year i think, but that gives us redundant servers which is what i request.. i got a little paranoid with our last server. Imagine losing all your posts! :D

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by Howie » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:52 pm

monotonehell wrote:

Well considering that Norm's Underground-dreams map has been between 4 and 8MB a hit... ;)
I know they're insane ! haha

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#8 Post by Norman » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:54 pm

monotonehell wrote:

People download them? :? :lol:

Howie wrote:it's around $400-500 per year i think, but that gives us redundant servers which is what i request.. i got a little paranoid with our last server. Imagine losing all your posts! :D
You're either rich or crazy :lol:

Do you get any money back from Google Ads? I think I clicked an ad once, I hope you got your cent or 2. (I can talk, I use Email Cash :lol: )

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by monotonehell » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:58 pm

Norman wrote:People download them? :? :lol:
I assume Howie and I can't be the only ones, you have access to the stats... ;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by Howie » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:04 pm

Norman wrote: You're either rich or crazy :lol:

Do you get any money back from Google Ads? I think I clicked an ad once, I hope you got your cent or 2. (I can talk, I use Email Cash :lol: )
nah you can't cheat google ads.. they'll know and don't pay out.

but the ads to help to cover, i won't say totally but they go along way.

Btw, have you thought of doing lossless compression on some of those images?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#11 Post by Norman » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:17 pm

On the Photos or the Subway Project?

Photos are already compressed, I resize them to 50% of their original size and upload them, the Gallery software automatically creates a thumbnail (150x150) and a reduced size image (814x614). I post up that reduced size image on the forums.

The Subway Project routemaps I create in Photoshop, because I find it easier and more familiar than Illustrator. I save the JPEGs with 80% quality, which makes the maps about 1MB each. I tried exporting them as PDFs, but they ended up as 40 MB each :lol:

The Frequency Grids are made with Excel 2007 (with PDF exporter :D), which are about 10-20kb each.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#12 Post by Howie » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:30 pm

Suppose you don't really want to go less than that.. especially with the maps. I don't understand why in this day and age we need to pay for bandwidth :lol: I mean ain't the internet just a series of tubes ? :lol:

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#13 Post by AtD » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:36 pm

This thread caused me to finally have a look at my own host, and I almost fell over! I have been a member of DreamHost.com since 2004. When I started, it was just under $10 US per month, and you got maybe a gig of bandwidth (can't remember, actually). Like Google Mail some years later, that amount increased automatically every month and the price is unchanged. Oh yeah, and the .com domain came free.

So for just $10.50 AU/month, I get:
6.5 Terabytes of bandwidth/month, of which I use 3GB
300GB of storage, of which I use <1GB.

Howie: I can set up a sub-domain that is "stand-alone" from the rest of my site, although I have NFI what you can do within PHPBB.

Norman: Remind me to read the T&C... I could on-sell to you at half price :mrgreen:

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by Howie » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:41 pm

AtD wrote:This thread caused me to finally have a look at my own host, and I almost fell over! I have been a member of DreamHost.com since 2004. When I started, it was just under $10 US per month, and you got maybe a gig of bandwidth (can't remember, actually). Like Google Mail some years later, that amount increased automatically every month and the price is unchanged. Oh yeah, and the .com domain came free.

So for just $10.50 AU/month, I get:
6.5 Terabytes of bandwidth/month, of which I use 3GB
300GB of storage, of which I use <1GB.

Howie: I can set up a sub-domain that is "stand-alone" from the rest of my site, although I have NFI what you can do within PHPBB.

Norman: Remind me to read the T&C... I could on-sell to you at half price :mrgreen:
That's almost unlimited bandwidth ! That's pretty awesome. Although, I really fancied the redundancy of having a backup server.. both servers are also raided of course. My previous host once went down and had to goto a tape backup... i swore that'll never happen again.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#15 Post by Norman » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:43 pm

I got the hosting through someone I know online, but that DreamHosting offer sounds very nice.