The SA Politics Thread

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Message
Author
User avatar
rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2712
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 56 times
Been thanked: 153 times

Re: The SA Politics Thread

#796 Post by rev » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:20 pm

Martin Hamilton Smith made the best decision of his political career to leave the SA Liberal Party. One because it's a stalled ship, and two because there are too many self interested people in that party who weren't going to let him get on with running the show.

Don't be fooled by the current events in SA. The Liberals still have no plan or vision for South Australia.
It appears they have some momentum, with the bank tax issue, trying to take advantage of the fake news that South Australian's are opposed to it.
It's fake news created by the Rupert Murdoch media in conjunction with the banks(guess who roles in the same circles?). The media uses it's position as a source of information to shape public opinion, or to create the perception that the public is leaning a certain direction. The Advertiser/NewsCorp in SA is as out of touch with every day South Australian's as the SA Liberal party is.

The media coverage is pathetic. Jay on the nose was one headline the other week I believe.
The coverage is all negative and anti-Labor/Weatherill.

There's no real political coverage on whose bringing what to the table, in terms of policies and vision.
Because News Corps mates in the Liberal party have no vision or plan.
And when they do throw something together, it will lack substance and credibility, but their mates in the Advertiser will give it full coverage. They're obligated to give coverage to the government when the time comes as well. But one will be positively slanted the other negatively. Guess which.

The Liberals are also jumping on the 'open' ICAC hearings thing, because they think that's going to win them an election.
At the end of the day, people are going to care more about the economy, their jobs, and their future. Things like ICAC will come second to making ends meet.
Not that the ICAC process shouldn't be improved. But this shows how pathetic and unprepared and lacking the Liberal party is.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2974
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:39 pm
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 60 times

Re: The SA Politics Thread

#797 Post by Waewick » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:55 pm

citywatcher wrote:Yes you're right but it didn't explain why he eventually jumped ship

Sent from my GT-S7275T using Tapatalk
$$$$$$$

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2974
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:39 pm
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 60 times

Re: The SA Politics Thread

#798 Post by Waewick » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:32 pm

great move by Labor to get Tesla. no idea if they were the best but I think the Brand attachement is fantastic.

hopefully that means, in conjuntion with the new Arrium owners the Port Augusta Themal solar plant gets off the ground.

User avatar
rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2712
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 56 times
Been thanked: 153 times

Re: The SA Politics Thread

#799 Post by rev » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:12 pm

With regards to the discussion we are having in the other two threads Waewick, which is more relevant to the SA Politics thread, let me ask you something..

Image

This is proposed routes for new tram lines and an underground rail line through the CBD.

How much of this do you think the SA Liberal party would do?
Do you think they would do their own version of this sort of big investment in public transport?

We know very well that the SA Labor party/government will continue to invest in public transport.
Their track record proves this and gives us much confidence in that continuing.

Before you again make a comment about how much I love Labor or whatever, bare in mind that I would vote Liberal in a heart beat if they gave us a proper vision for our state and city, and showed us that they are a viable alternative government. I also think that the implementation of a tram network expansion is taking far too long, among other things taking too long. That falls on the shoulders of the Labor government. Because they unfortunately to the detriment of this state and city, are able to continue to get away with drip feeding major projects like the recent tram line extensions, because the state Liberal opposition is so weak. Because the opposition is not providing a viable alternative government for South Australian's to vote for.

I for one think that if the Liberal's win the next election we are in for a very rough ride. There will be spending cuts, and no real new spending. They will follow their federal colleagues playlist of blaming poor economic management on the previous Labor government to justify slashing spending. The fact Pyne is so influential over the state branch of the Liberals should be worrisome for anyone considering voting for them.

User avatar
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2667
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:37 pm
Location: Nairne
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: The SA Politics Thread

#800 Post by rhino » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:01 pm

I tend to agree with a lot of what you say Rev, but your unnecessary use of the apostrophe is driving me nuts (you're not the only one)!

An apostrophe is used to designate ownership (Charley's house), or to take the place of a missing letter (don't, hasn't, etc).

It is absolutely not needed here: ...viable alternative government for South Australian's to vote for...
or here: ...if the Liberal's win the next election...
cheers,
Rhino

User avatar
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 5306
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:10 am
Location: Adelaide, East End.
Has thanked: 167 times
Been thanked: 228 times
Contact:

Re: The SA Politics Thread

#801 Post by monotonehell » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:08 pm

rhino wrote:I tend to agree with a lot of what you say Rev, but your unnecessary use of the apostrophe is driving me nuts (you're not the only one)!

An apostrophe is used to designate ownership (Charley's house), or to take the place of a missing letter (don't, hasn't, etc).

It is absolutely not needed here: ...viable alternative government for South Australian's to vote for...
or here: ...if the Liberal's win the next election...
Also then versus than... >.>
rev wrote:If this gets built I'll base parachute off the top of it in the nude.

bits
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 366
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:24 pm
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 64 times

Re: The SA Politics Thread

#802 Post by bits » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:14 pm

Their their, calm down guys your going crazy over nothing.

User avatar
rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2712
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 56 times
Been thanked: 153 times

Re: The SA Politics Thread

#803 Post by rev » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:30 pm

Image

User avatar
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2667
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:37 pm
Location: Nairne
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: The SA Politics Thread

#804 Post by rhino » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:33 pm

LOL nice poster, but ... if you have something important to say, and you want people to take the trouble to read it, you've got to take the trouble to write it.
cheers,
Rhino

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2974
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:39 pm
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 60 times

Re: The SA Politics Thread

#805 Post by Waewick » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:32 pm

rev wrote:With regards to the discussion we are having in the other two threads Waewick, which is more relevant to the SA Politics thread, let me ask you something..

Image

This is proposed routes for new tram lines and an underground rail line through the CBD.

How much of this do you think the SA Liberal party would do?
Do you think they would do their own version of this sort of big investment in public transport?

We know very well that the SA Labor party/government will continue to invest in public transport.
Their track record proves this and gives us much confidence in that continuing.

Before you again make a comment about how much I love Labor or whatever, bare in mind that I would vote Liberal in a heart beat if they gave us a proper vision for our state and city, and showed us that they are a viable alternative government. I also think that the implementation of a tram network expansion is taking far too long, among other things taking too long. That falls on the shoulders of the Labor government. Because they unfortunately to the detriment of this state and city, are able to continue to get away with drip feeding major projects like the recent tram line extensions, because the state Liberal opposition is so weak. Because the opposition is not providing a viable alternative government for South Australian's to vote for.

I for one think that if the Liberal's win the next election we are in for a very rough ride. There will be spending cuts, and no real new spending. They will follow their federal colleagues playlist of blaming poor economic management on the previous Labor government to justify slashing spending. The fact Pyne is so influential over the state branch of the Liberals should be worrisome for anyone considering voting for them.
I expect the Liberals to do the same as Labor.

0. Without huge fed money.

User avatar
mshagg
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 479
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:50 pm
Has thanked: 79 times
Been thanked: 110 times

Re: The SA Politics Thread

#806 Post by mshagg » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:24 am

So with Jay having a few obvious pressure points around fiscal policy, abusive care facilities, the energy market and a bizarre level of scepticism in the community about building one of the best hospitals in the world, you'd think the opposition's strategy would basically write itself.

Nah fuck that, let's drag out some liberal party classics. Remember the war on drugs?
Today I have announced a comprehensive plan to win the war on drugs – a scourge on our society.

My plan involves a series of measures targeted at our schools, prisons and communities, balancing the need for education and rehabilitation with tougher legislation and law enforcement.

I will instruct the Police Commissioner to develop protocols for SAPOL to conduct random inspections of schools, allowing the police dog squad to search locker rooms and classrooms for illicit drugs that are placing our children at enormous risk.

We will also provide funding to non-government organisations to ensure South Australian students have the opportunity to participate in drug education programs.

We will have a zero tolerance approach to drugs in our prisons including introducing drug and alcohol testing of prison guards and banning members of bikie gangs from visiting prisons.

We will undertake a complete review of outdated maximum sentences for drug possession and trafficking, and we will immediately quadruple the maximum penalty for cannabis possession, bringing it in line with penalties for other illicit drugs.

In the Riverland, we will fund a drug treatment pilot program based on the Matrix model for rehabilitation, with a view to using this model across our regions where there is an acute shortage of rehabilitation services.

In addition to these measures, we have already announced measures to limit the number of drug diversions and allow magistrates to mandate drug treatment for children under the age of 18.

Today my message to the drug peddlers, those that are seeking to exploit our kids and subject them to a life of addiction is simple, if I become Premier in March next year, your days are numbered. The misery that you inflict on our children will be over.
Drug raids in schools and quadrupling sentences for weed possession. Good one, Stevo :applause:

User avatar
[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2061
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:26 pm
Has thanked: 335 times
Been thanked: 123 times

Re: The SA Politics Thread

#807 Post by [Shuz] » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:50 pm

That policy is just laughable. Did anyone know there was a drug problem in schools?

Also, the number of deaths worldwide from smoking weed is zero. Why target cannabis penalties?

I thought ice was the issue. No mention of that?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5151
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:49 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 111 times
Been thanked: 208 times

Re: The SA Politics Thread

#808 Post by crawf » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:56 pm

Useless and weak, just like our Liberal Prime Minister.


if I become Premier in March next year, your days are numbered

Zero chance at this rate. Boot Marshall out, and get someone decent.

User avatar
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 5306
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:10 am
Location: Adelaide, East End.
Has thanked: 167 times
Been thanked: 228 times
Contact:

Re: The SA Politics Thread

#809 Post by monotonehell » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:02 pm

A plan taken right out of the 1980's Nancy Reagan war on drugs. And look how well that worked.

Seriously. Where do these people live? Because it sure is not contemporary reality.
rev wrote:If this gets built I'll base parachute off the top of it in the nude.

claybro
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1361
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:16 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 108 times

Re: The SA Politics Thread

#810 Post by claybro » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:55 pm

Who the hell is advising this guy? An utter embarrassment.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests