Beer Garden

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Beer Garden

#2401 Post by monotonehell » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:56 pm

SRW wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:55 pm
I'm all for people being fined when caught breaking road rules as these exist, by and large, for safety. But I do wonder sometimes about the proportionality of fines versus the offence, especially in relation to others. For the system to have integrity there has to be a logic to it. Mind, I have no specific cases to cite - it's just a thought bubble I've had when hearing of some of the expiations people have copped.
That's a more complex issue than it might appear.

What might be an Earth-shattering fine for one person might be chump change for another. Anecdotally I know of a few well paid people who view parking fines as parking prices. The park illegally for their convenience (and everyone elses' inconvenience). If they cop a fine, they just write it off against their company's income.

So how do you set a fine that's a equitable deterrent for all? I forget the country, it might be Finnland, they set their fines as a percentage of the person's income.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#2402 Post by fishinajar » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:09 pm

serca wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:59 pm
What the ? Most of those cost you are talking about are in direct and going to be there regardless of what they do with their time. Wages ? Stations ? Training ???

And yes Rev its pure revenue raising when you get slogged $420 for not indicating out of a single lane round about , in a back street thoroughfare. The officer even said that they were there to target that specifically. Who the fuck indicates out of a single lane around about when then are going straight.

As for people driving and texting they can fine them all they want for that its a shit act and exceptionally dangerous.
So if cars were autonomous and we did not need the police to perform traffic duties, we would have them just park up and play candy crush until there shift is up?

And yes mate, indicate when you leave the roundabout, not just so others don't have to needlessly wait for you, but because it is the law. Otherwise we'll have everyone deciding when and where what laws apply to them.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2403 Post by SRW » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:38 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:56 pm
SRW wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:55 pm
I'm all for people being fined when caught breaking road rules as these exist, by and large, for safety. But I do wonder sometimes about the proportionality of fines versus the offence, especially in relation to others. For the system to have integrity there has to be a logic to it. Mind, I have no specific cases to cite - it's just a thought bubble I've had when hearing of some of the expiations people have copped.
That's a more complex issue than it might appear.

What might be an Earth-shattering fine for one person might be chump change for another. Anecdotally I know of a few well paid people who view parking fines as parking prices. The park illegally for their convenience (and everyone elses' inconvenience). If they cop a fine, they just write it off against their company's income.

So how do you set a fine that's a equitable deterrent for all? I forget the country, it might be Finnland, they set their fines as a percentage of the person's income.
Yes, I've seen that and I think there's a lot of merit to the approach.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2404 Post by Nathan » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:10 am

colorfool wrote:Can anybody recommend a good Japanese Ramen restaurant here in Adelaide?
Ryo’s on Gouger St.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2405 Post by monotonehell » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:20 am

Nathan wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:10 am
colorfool wrote:Can anybody recommend a good Japanese Ramen restaurant here in Adelaide?
Ryo’s on Gouger St.
Ryo's is very good when the kitchen have their game-face on. But they aren't consistent. I've had blow your mind quality from there on a few occasions and well this is "okay I guess" on others.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2406 Post by rev » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:52 pm

It doesn't cost anything extra, or involve extra training or anything, to have police target a specific area for specific things, like hoon driving, or using mobiles while driving. Police are being paid already. Their duties may include a specific thing like targeting hoon driving during their shift in a certain area, or during part of their shift, or it may include general patrol duties. It may even include being sent to attend an event being held, say in Elder Park, where the event it self has to request the police attendance and then pay for it.
They don't just authorize overtime because they feel like coming after people for using their mobiles. They have a budget to work within first.

If they wanted to revenue raise, then we would all be getting pulled over and have our vehicles inspected on the side of the road, where we'd be fined for minor things that we didn't even know were a problem, and then sent to Regency to have our car put over the pits, where they would find even more things to fine us for.
Going 0.5 km/h over the speed limit would be a fineable offense as well. Now you tell me how to read 0.5km/h on your speedo. You can't. It's all a guess.

Speeding is a major factor in fatality car crashes. And not even only fatalities, but significant injuries as well.
Enforcing the speed limits ensures people are doing the safe speed limit for the roads, as well as enforcing other road safety laws.

Now if we have less people ending up in hospital with motor vehicle related traumas, how much does that save our health care system? A lot.

Complain all you want about speed limits being enforced, but the next time a speeding driver kills or leaves one of your loved ones a vegetable for life, don't complain about that driver breaking the law or you'll be a hypocrite.

All major roads should have speed cameras installed and all intersections with traffic lights should have red light cameras.
Every major back street thoroughfare should have mobile speed cameras deployed at least once a week.

The fact is there's too many dick heads on our roads who think the roads are their personal race tracks.
There's too many dick heads who don't indicate, while speeding through intersections, who cut across lanes of traffic cutting off incoming traffic, who go through round abouts without indicators to notify others where they are turning, who then get irate and abusive when you say anything or beep your horn at them.
You sound like one of those people.
People like that should not be on the road.
I don't really give a shit if they put their own lives at risk. You want to act like a dick head without a care for your own safety then good luck to you.
But on public roads acting like a dick head without consideration of other peoples safety, without consideration for other road users, means you're a dick head whose putting peoples lives at risk.
Such people, who kill other road users, or leave them permanently disabled, should be treated and convicted for murder and attempted murder.
We all know the potential lethality of such behaviour. So you know the consequences. You can't plead ignorance or it was unintentional.

Throw drugs like ice into the mix, and the problems on our roads have gotten much worse.

Actions like yours can lead to devastating consequences for others. You were doing 10km/h over the speed limit. It may not seem like much to you, but go do some research and see how much longer it takes to stop. You didn't indicate exiting a round about? What if a parent and their two toddlers were riding their bikes, saw that you weren't indicating to enter the path they were going to take, road out and you hit one of the toddlers?
Who would you blame, your self or the toddler?
What if while you were speeding down Woodville Road, one of the kids from Woodville High School thought he had time to cross the road, you know being 13 or 14 years old and not having any life experience, misjudged the time they had, and you hit them?
There was a young boy who was killed a couple years back on Hanson road, and the car that hit him wasn't speeding from memory. He was doing 60km/h I believe.

You think it's no big deal.
Go and ask the police who are the first responders to motor vehicle accidents involving fatalities or severe injuries if it's no big deal.
Ask them what it's like when the families turn up to the scene.

Sometimes I wonder if people like you will only ever learn when you kill someone.

serca
High Rise Poster!

#2407 Post by serca » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:33 pm

what the hell are you talking about I won't learn until I kill someone ???? Who are you to make such a stupid blunt comment?

I dont advocate hoon driving or taking drugs whilst driving or killing a toddler and her mum as you put it so back off ya freak.

Lets set something straight, Im was not texting while driving , drink or drug driving or excessively speeding like your implying is part of my driving nature.

The round about in question was in a back street , High street Grange to be specific, Its a small round about that i was going straight on. If I am going straight I don't need to indicate left but mid round about all be it a very tiny one I have to indicate left to continue straight all whilst turning the steering wheel, thats more dangerous no ??? no one would indicate out of a small round about like that. Its a stupid road rule and common sense should prevale. If it is a large round about I can completely understand indicating out of it, or a small round about I also appreciate the logic of indicating your intention to turn left or right as your approaching. Given it's a small single lane round about if I'm not currently indicating to go right and I'm mid roundabout is it not obvious that I'm going straight? Its a stupid rule! My original point was the fine is excessive and revenue raising.

Woodville road is a dual lane major road that can handle a 60km speed limit as it was 60km for many many years and with out endangering lives toddlers and all. Again the point was the fine is excessive and yes revenue raising. I Don't need your pathetic lecture on "people like me killing" toddlers because of speeding.

Wheres your facts or statistics on the number of deaths on 50km roads whilst people are driving 60km's ? Cant imagine you have any . I would say that most death related accidents are from excessive speeding, drink or drug and inattentive driving. You completely took out of content what i was saying and I took offence to your pathetic ramble.

rev

#2408 Post by rev » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:08 pm

One question for you serca,

Who are you to imply that the road rules and penalties for breaking them shouldn't apply to you?

Get off the road before you seriously injure or kill someone you muppet.

Llessur2002

#2409 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:52 pm

serca wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:33 pm
Woodville road is a dual lane major road that can handle a 60km speed limit as it was 60km for many many years and with out endangering lives toddlers and all.
Two lane road or not, I think there's enough on Woodville Road to warrant it being a 50kmh zone - a high school oval, recreation ground, aged care facility, shops, restaurants, railway station/level crossing and residential properties. South of Port Road there's also a hospital and a primary school. I think the 50 speed limit is well warranted in this case.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2410 Post by Norman » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:26 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
serca wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:33 pm
Woodville road is a dual lane major road that can handle a 60km speed limit as it was 60km for many many years and with out endangering lives toddlers and all.
Two lane road or not, I think there's enough on Woodville Road to warrant it being a 50kmh zone - a high school oval, recreation ground, aged care facility, shops, restaurants, railway station/level crossing and residential properties. South of Port Road there's also a hospital and a primary school. I think the 50 speed limit is well warranted in this case.
I don't think the 50 zone is warranted north of the railway crossing, but it will definitely stop people getting confused where the limit starts and finishes.

rev

#2411 Post by rev » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:56 pm

You're missing the point guys.
It doesn't matter if we think it's warranted or not, we still have to obey the speed limits. If you knowingly break speed limits, and get caught, what makes you think you have a right to complain afterwards? Similarly with failing to indicate.

I bet you you're the type of driver who gets around with his fog lights on when there's no need for them to be on Serca. :mrgreen:

Oh and for your benefit Serca, something for you to think about, especially on Woodville road with a hospital, high school, recreation centre used by various groups especially lots of kids/youth groups, even a tennis club used by lots of kids, and busy train station also used by lots of kids.

In the dry

50km/h - Reaction distance 21m - Braking distance 14m - Total stopping distance 35m
60km/h - Reaction distance 25m - Braking distance 20m - Total stopping distance 45m

In the wet

50km/h - Reaction distance 21m - Braking distance 20m - Total stopping distance 41m
60km/h - Reaction distance 25m - Braking distance 29m - Total stopping distance 54m

Let me refer you back to the accident a while ago(a few years ago I think?) on Hanson road, where a young boy was hit by a car and killed. The car that hit him was doing the speed limit, 60km/h, the signed speed limit. What if that car was travelling at 50km/h instead? That kid would still be alive today.

serca
High Rise Poster!

#2412 Post by serca » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:10 pm

I bet your a volvo driver rev, and you sat up the front of the class

Your logic is stupid. all roads should be 40kms then because it takes a shorter distance to stop than going 50km's, meh why not 20km's then. We are adults and common sense should prevail on the roads.

Question needs to be asked why was that boy hit by a car on Hanson rd if the car was travelling at correct speed limit? Sounds like the boy was on the road when he shouldn't have been . You do know pedestrians have to use common sense and try not to put them selves in harms way........ Like so many do texting while walking across a road or running across in flowing traffic.

With your logic maybe all trains should travel at 30kms to allow the train driver enough time to see someone on the tracks and stop or just maybe people should just respect that is where a train travels at a speed that could harm or kill and treat the crossing with common sense and respect

I never implied I was exempt from road rules, i was implying some road rules are ridiculous i.e. indicating out of a back street round about whilst going straight through and yes pure revenue raising

rev

#2413 Post by rev » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:45 pm

serca wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:10 pm
I bet your a volvo driver rev, and you sat up the front of the class

Your logic is stupid. all roads should be 40kms then because it takes a shorter distance to stop than going 50km's, meh why not 20km's then. We are adults and common sense should prevail on the roads.

Question needs to be asked why was that boy hit by a car on Hanson rd if the car was travelling at correct speed limit? Sounds like the boy was on the road when he shouldn't have been . You do know pedestrians have to use common sense and try not to put them selves in harms way........ Like so many do texting while walking across a road or running across in flowing traffic.

With your logic maybe all trains should travel at 30kms to allow the train driver enough time to see someone on the tracks and stop or just maybe people should just respect that is where a train travels at a speed that could harm or kill and treat the crossing with common sense and respect

I never implied I was exempt from road rules, i was implying some road rules are ridiculous i.e. indicating out of a back street round about whilst going straight through and yes pure revenue raising
Speaking of common sense, how about exercising some common sense and using your indicator as the road rules obligate you to do so, or use common sense to stick to the signed speed limit?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2414 Post by crawf » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:57 pm

Who's making the trip over to the MCG this weekend????

Llessur2002

#2415 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:00 am

crawf wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:57 pm
Who's making the trip over to the MCG this weekend????

And on the flip side, where are people watching the game who are staying in Adelaide?

Don't they normally put a big screen in Elder Park for the grand final? This year they're showing the game on the big screens in Telstra Plaza outside the Oval but it's a pretty small and concretey venue for 3-4 hours watching.

Can't believe there's nothing going on in Vic Square or any of our hectares of parklands. Someone's missed a trick surely, or are they just worried about organising something that might end up being a lot busier than anticipated?