All roads could lead to election victory

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1 Post by AG » Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:57 pm

By GREG KELTON
20aug05
INFRASTRUCTURE is not one of the most emotive words in the political dictionary.

Most voters turn off when it is mentioned and only react when it is explained that infrastructure means the hospitals, the schools, the roads, the water pipes and the buses they travel on.

But infrastructure, and the amount spent on replacing or upgrading it, will be a key topic at next year's March State Election.

Already the Government has launched its state infrastructure plan which has, at its heart, major roadworks on South Rd and upgrading tram facilities by extending the line to the Adelaide Railway Station on North Tce.

The Opposition has yet to announce its policies and, in keeping with recent election campaigns, it is unlikely to announce any detailed positions until the campaign begins officially.

But the Liberals have given enough indications recently that they will be focusing on refurbishing the state's infrastructure which they believe has been left to languish under Labor.

One of the first targets will be roads and, after driving to Ballarat recently, I can certainly see why.

Leaving aside the roads in the metropolitan area, the state of our rural roads is nothing short of a disgrace.

During a seven-hour drive, there was no comparison between the state of the major highway in Victoria and its South Australian counterpart. Not only do Victorian roads appear to be in better condition, they appear to be safer and maintenance is continually being carried out.

I lost count of the number of times I had to slow down because of road gangs working on new overtaking lanes or widening road shoulders.

Not during the SA part of the journey was there any evidence of road works, apart from a sign near Bordertown saying work on improving the highway would begin in 2005.

The RAA has made it clear there is a huge backlog of maintenance on roads across the state and the Liberals have picked up on this.

Opposition Leader Rob Kerin was this week claiming Goodwood Rd could be a contender for the dubious title of Adelaide's worst road. But the more important point he was making was that the appalling condition of many SA roads was a major contributor to accidents "although statistics outlining how many accidents and casualties have been caused by poorly maintained roads are rarely made public".

"The community has a right to expect that government will maintain roads in a safe and useable condition," Mr Kerin said.

The Government's response was predictably that extra funding was being spent and that work on South Rd was a priority.

Transport Minister Patrick Conlon said $22 million would be allocated for the Long Life Road projects aimed at boosting maintenance.

Naturally, he could not resist saying many of the problems had been inherited from the previous government.

Roads are a key piece of the state's infrastructure and if the Liberals can promise to fix them without blowing the state Budget, they could be on a vote winner.

I'm yet to see any potential commitments from Liberal. The best they've managed to commit to is a one way freeway from the end of one road to the other end of the same road.

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2 Post by Al » Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:58 pm

It's a lot easier to complain when you're in opposition but the real test comes when you become government. I don't think the Rann government is perfect but at least things seem to be happening in the right sort of way which is quite different from when we had John Olsen. I read in the 'tiser that the SA taxpayer is going to have pay even more compensation to Dan Panoz because of the Olsen's sudden cancelation of the Lemans race series. Another legacy from that era. The reasoning was that the promo money would be better spent on 200 nurses - I wonder what ever happened to those nurses? After the legal fallout, probably won't even see any benefit.

Hey Howie, maybe we can put another poll up - Do you think the current (Rann) government is doing a good job, yes/no/don't care?

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by Howie » Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:34 pm

That's definately a possibility. Let's have this makris development poll up until the outcome is clear on the future of 88 o'connell st. Then we could put something up about the government... although, it might be better to put a rann-style poll closer to march next year with the election and all. Hopefully during this xmas, some of the major items that the rann government has been keeping close to their chest will be in the public domain so we can then have a good idea how well they 'actually' are doing.

I too reckon, that it isn't a perfect government (looking at problems such as mental health, etc), but it's one of the better government's we've had for a long time. Congratulations where it's deserved, i think rann's doing a splendid job.

shuzstar
Banned
Banned

#4 Post by shuzstar » Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:00 pm

Rann is doing a VERY good job i believe, if it were the Liberal goverment, Rob Kerin... wed be in for a shitload.
- Sensational Glenelg - The City By The Beach.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by AG » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:15 pm

Liberals finally responded to their own solution with another.

Double Expressway capacity: Liberals

22aug05
THE Southern Expressway should be duplicated and carry two-way traffic at all times to clear bottlenecks from the southern suburbs, the Opposition says.

In the latest of a series of position papers by the Liberals in the lead-up to the March election, the Opposition says rising traffic volumes along the expressway require better movement of commuters away from the end of the route.

Opposition transport spokesman Robert Brokenshire said the "sea change" growth in the southern suburbs was permanent, creating a case for a two-way expressway.

"We have seen seven years of consecutive growth with the sea change, with all of the commuters plus all of the tourists and the holidays owners," he said yesterday.

"Is it time to bring forward the building of the road the other way so it has expressway north and south all times? It was designed and planned so you can put another two lanes alongside of it."

Mr Brokenshire estimated an additional two lanes would cost $120 million to $150 million.

The position paper, which also recommends an overpass on Grand Junction Rd, says movement into and out of the city on northern and southern arterial roads "has slowed to a crawl".

The paper also states:

BETTER co-ordination of traffic signals, turning restrictions during peak hour and parking bays at bus stops are needed on Marion and South Rd;

MEASURES to limit left-hand lane delays caused by buses and peak flow turning restrictions are needed on Goodwood, Unley and Fullarton roads; and

A BAN on right-hand turns in peak hours on Main North Rd would relieve acute traffic problems.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Howie » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:53 am

That response by the Liberals shows what lack of vision they have. Just ridiculous i tell ya.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by UrbanSG » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:48 am

Yeah I can't believe it was ever built as a one-way expressway by the Liberals! They should have built it two-ways and we wouldn't be in this mess to start with. It is a very frustrating road imo, a real stuff up that one. Future thought if we are going to build expressway/freeways make them two ways for god sake to start with! Nearly everyone I talk to about the road has had bad experiences with it including myself, as I talk to myself, lol.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by AG » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:23 pm

State built on shaky foundations
By GREG KELTON
23aug05
THE cost of upgrading and repairing South Australia's ailing roads, water systems and rail transport is so high engineers cannot put a figure on it.

They estimate providing better roads, better management of stormwater and improved regional rail networks will cost billions of dollars.

A new report prepared for the SA branch of Engineers Australia shows the state's critical infrastructure ranges from good to "requiring urgent attention".

While gas, electricity and providing water in the metropolitan area rate better than or in line with the national average, regional rail networks, local roads and stormwater need "critical action".

But the report says even those assets which were rated good - such as electricity, gas and the metropolitan rail and tram networks - needed an on-going commitment to maintain their fitness for current and future purposes.

The highest rating is an A-minus given to gas distribution, while the lowest is a D awarded to key areas of local roads, stormwater and regional rail.

The report says local roads are given a D because councils can only spend about one-third of the estimated $160 million that is required each year.

"Within 10 years the backlog will have grown to $240 million," the report says.

Engineers Australia spokesman Mark Gobbie said it was clear that the way infrastructure was planned, funded, managed and maintained in SA needs attention.

Mr Gobbie said an upgrade would cost "billions of dollars".

Infrastructure Minister Patrick Conlon said "decades of neglect" meant the Government was having to play catch-up and was spending more than ever before in the area.

Opposition Leader Rob Kerin said the backlog of maintenance was increasing, the roads were getting older and rougher and that was going to take a while to turn around.

He said Labor had not initiated, funded and delivered a single major infrastructure development.

The last comment is obvious bull, compared to what the last Liberal Government delivered when it was in power.

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by Al » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:34 pm

AG wrote:...

He said Labor had not initiated, funded and delivered a single major infrastructure development.
:roll: He must be kidding.

bdm
High Rise Poster!

#10 Post by bdm » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:06 pm

Hey! I'm new!

The anti-libs, pro-rann bias here is amazing! These reports consistently show poor infrastructure, poor investment. A tram is simply a show pony - while thousands of drivers sit swearing in their cars on the way home.

Whoever does jump on the infrastructure bandwagon should win - SA is dying compared to the other states. We need more investment, populations, infrastructure - and Rann isn't doing it.

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#11 Post by Algernon » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:04 am

bdm wrote: while thousands of drivers sit swearing in their cars on the way home.
Fuck the drivers, honestly.

These guys swear at anything when they're behind the wheel. If Rann announces a policy that cyclists can legally kick the mirrors off cars he'll lose the election in a landslide, but by jingoes would he have my vote.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#12 Post by Howie » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:11 am

I'm still in favour for the gawler freeway... if either party promises to foot the bill for such a project they'd have my vote.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#13 Post by Will » Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:14 pm

bdm wrote:Hey! I'm new!

The anti-libs, pro-rann bias here is amazing! These reports consistently show poor infrastructure, poor investment. A tram is simply a show pony - while thousands of drivers sit swearing in their cars on the way home.

Whoever does jump on the infrastructure bandwagon should win - SA is dying compared to the other states. We need more investment, populations, infrastructure - and Rann isn't doing it.
When the liberals where in office they didn't do much. It is easy to complain when in opposition. I particularly find amusing the liberals attacks on the health system. Most of the problems date back to when they were in government. Rann shows vision, and unlike your opinion, the North Terrace tram is a vital piece of infraestructure that will add a special vibe to the CBD.