Introduction Thread

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Introduction Thread

#16 Post by jk1237 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:39 am

Ive just noticed this thread. Hi, im Josh, Im 30. I went to Banksia Park High School and went to Flinders Uni to study Economics but ended up doing more urban geography/urban development subjects which is why Im interested in cities. Ive never got any work linked to my degree (caus Im lazy and like to travel). 3 years ago I bought my own little house - a 2 bedrm unit in St Peters, but wanna live in the CBD in the next couple of years. My family wanted me to buy my old nanna's unit in Tea Tree gully, but all i wanted to be is close to town, and thanks to Asian students, my little unit is worth heaps more now than what i bought it for.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#17 Post by Howie » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:43 am

AtD wrote:
crawf wrote:I think my love for architecture started with lego, though I used to draw up floor plans for houses, shopping centres, CBDs and towns.
Hah, yeah, Lego ruled my childhood. Now there's a store at TTP near my parent's house that sells nothing but lego. If only that was there 10 years earlier! (My parents would disagree...)
There's also a stall in Port Adelaide wharf markets that sells nothing but lego... ahh memories :)

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#18 Post by crawf » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:33 pm

Howie wrote:
AtD wrote:
crawf wrote:I think my love for architecture started with lego, though I used to draw up floor plans for houses, shopping centres, CBDs and towns.
Hah, yeah, Lego ruled my childhood. Now there's a store at TTP near my parent's house that sells nothing but lego. If only that was there 10 years earlier! (My parents would disagree...)
There's also a stall in Port Adelaide wharf markets that sells nothing but lego... ahh memories :)
Oh, I would of been in heaven back in my childhood years, though one of my dreams was to build a large city out of lego - maybe one day :wink:
Last edited by crawf on Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#19 Post by Will » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:55 pm

There has to be a correlation between having lego in your childhood and becoming a skyscraper nerd. I also had lego when i was a child, and like Crawf, I too, would one day like to build a city or a giant structure like a skyscraper or a cathedral out of lego.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#20 Post by Cruise » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:01 pm

ahh lego, the memories!!! :D

Will409
Legendary Member!

#21 Post by Will409 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:38 pm

I also used to have lego (and still have a 50L box stored brim full of it in the house). Except for making sky scrapers, I made various trains and trams instead. Infact, by the age of 11, I devised my own gear boxe which could have cardan shafts connecting them all together so more then one axle could be powered. I had a series of gears coming down from the motor which was mounted above the chassis. The gears would then transfer the power directly down to the shaft and then shaft then took the motion to the axle mounted gear boxes. This was back when I was 11 and it all worked perfectly. I used photographs were I could to make an accurate Lego model. I turned out anything from a 400 class redhen to a Commonwealth Railways NSU class.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#22 Post by crawf » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:05 pm

Yeah I used to love playing with train sets when I was a kid or watching my favourite show Thomas the Tank Engine - ahh memories...

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#23 Post by Cruise » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:34 pm

crawf wrote:Yeah I used to love playing with train sets when I was a kid or watching my favourite show Thomas the Tank Engine - ahh memories...

lol i used to love my train set!!!

not as much as my remote controlled cars though :)

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#24 Post by Bulldozer » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:50 am

Don't forget the Meccano as well! A couple of more obscure and abstract toys I had were Polydrons and Capsela. It's a pity all that cool stuff is so expensive :( I suppose it's about time I got my hands on a Lego Mindstorms kit though.

I'm Bulldozer, a mid-20's male video game programmer from down south around the Noarlunga/Seaford/McLaren Vale area. Grew up in an agricultural environment and have always held a fascination for all things technological and the built environment. My parents will attest that since I was a toddler I've been fascinated by trucks, tractors, trains, pipelines, freeways, drains, earthworks, electronics, etc. I also have a keen interest in SA history, current affairs and politics and in the last couple of years have become interested in urban design. I found this wonderful site via a comment on an Adelaide Now story on the proposed Victoria Park development.

I think some of my interest in these things stems from the fact my father studied economic geography before he decided to be a horticulturalist like his old man, or maybe it was all those hours I "wasted" playing Sim City and reticulating splines in Sim City 2000 :)

Unfortunately these days I live in Brisbane and have come to realise just how much I adore Adelaide and SA in general. The architecture, environment, weather, food, wine, culture, etc. is so different to Queensland and as far as I and other croweaters I talk to here are concerned, more sophisticated. I hope to be able move back to SA in the next year or two.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#25 Post by Ben » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:46 am

In case anyone was wondering. I'm formally Beamer85.

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#26 Post by bm7500 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:18 pm

Hi my name is Brett I’m 30 years old and like Josh, i too went to Banksia Park High School. I now reside at Mawson Lakes, where i have been for the last 3 years.

I have always had a fascination with development, urban planning and architecture and its good to see so many others sharing my passion. My interest also started with my Lego & Meccano sets when I was younger and later evolved into playing Sim City on the computer.

I am now a System Administrator for a distribution company and one of the perks of the job is that I often travel to different parts of the country and spend a reasonable about of time living in various cities & towns. When I’m away I end up speaking to a lot of people about home and generally the perception of the state is somewhat negative. I encourage them to visit if they haven't been here before and always talk Adelaide up in the hope that it will change people’s opinions for the better, even if it is only one person at a time.

Another one of my interests is transport and I have a special interest in aircraft & aviation. I am a member of the 'jetspotter.com' forum and I was lucky enough to have been given a tour of the 'new' T1 airport terminal when it was under construction.

Whilst Adelaide may not be a 'High Rise City' like some of the other capitals, we do pretty well when you consider our relatively small population base. And even though i love to spend time working interstate, it's always great to come home to Adelaide!

Cheers, Brett
He who builds on the public way, must let the people have their say.
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#27 Post by AG » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:25 pm

bm7500 wrote: Another one of my interests is transport and I have a special interest in aircraft & aviation. I am a member of the 'jetspotter.com' forum and I was lucky enough to have been given a tour of the 'new' T1 airport terminal when it was under construction.
Lucky you. Me too! I was doing vacation work at the airport for a few weeks while it was under construction. The firm I was working with was an engineering firm responsible for the construction of the elevated roadway into the airport and the tarmac and paving works around it. Although I didn't really do anything but stamp and check and photocopy design drawings other than that. I still got a few poor quality mobile images from the interior of the airport while it was being done up lying around the place.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#28 Post by rogue » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:50 pm

bm7500 wrote:When I’m away I end up speaking to a lot of people about home and generally the perception of the state is somewhat negative. I encourage them to visit if they haven't been here before and always talk Adelaide up in the hope that it will change people’s opinions for the better, even if it is only one person at a time.
Do you find that most of the interstate people that bag Adelaide have never actually been here?

I know the people I have spoken to that have been here have only had good things to share.

Edit: Spelling error :roll:

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#29 Post by AG » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:39 pm

All these name changes are going to start getting confusing soon if more people start doing it, lol. Okay, other than these 3, who else has changed names?

beamer85 ---> Ben
Cruise Control ---> Cruise
normangerman ---> Norman

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#30 Post by bm7500 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:57 pm

rogue wrote:
bm7500 wrote:When I’m away I end up speaking to a lot of people about home and generally the perception of the state is somewhat negative. I encourage them to visit if they haven't been here before and always talk Adelaide up in the hope that it will change people’s opinions for the better, even if it is only one person at a time.
Do you find that most of the interstate people that bag Adelaide have never actually been here?

I know the people I have spoken to that have been here have only had good things to share.
Yes i have found that the people who bag Adelaide or mention things like the Bodies in The Barrels have never been here. Its sad really and it seems that what little SA news that is shown interstate, is generally bad news and seems to stick in people's minds. Those who do venture over here all say that Adelaide has a great relaxed feel to it... not to mention that our beaches are underrated!
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA