KI ranked among the world's best!

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Message
Author
User avatar
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2962
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:37 pm
Location: Nairne
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 129 times

Re: KI ranked among the world's best!

#31 Post by rhino » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:32 pm

Love that bridge! Love Penang too, for that matter! :D
cheers,
Rhino

User avatar
ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:15 am
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: KI ranked among the world's best!

#32 Post by ynotsfables » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:58 pm

rogue wrote:Sorry for digging up an old thread again, but it saves starting a new one.

I was at Cape Jervis over the weekend and was looking over to KI. It didn't really look that far (distance wise) and have since found out it is 16kms from the mainland to Penneshaw.

Do you think it would ever be feasible for a bridge to link the 2? Something like the road to Key West in Florida.

I cant believe the current ferry link is not part of the national highway network like the Tasmanian ferry is. Everyone that travels on the Spirit of Tasmania receives a subsidy. Why not the same for Sealink?
Now wer're talking dude ten out of ten for inovation A plus for sheer genius. This is it, if France and England can build a tunnel across the English channel what the bloody hell is wrong with us building a bridge of monumental proportions to the island of kangaroos. This is a brilliant idea, you deserve a medal man. :D :D :D

User avatar
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2962
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:37 pm
Location: Nairne
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 129 times

Re: KI ranked among the world's best!

#33 Post by rhino » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:24 pm

There wouldn't be that many people travelling between France and England, would there? :mrgreen:
cheers,
Rhino

User avatar
Al
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 560
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:34 pm
Location: Wild Wild West
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: KI ranked among the world's best!

#34 Post by Al » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:15 pm

This is the distance you're talking about. Photo taken at Starfish Hill near Cape Jervois. KI is across that little bit of water.

Image

User avatar
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2434
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:29 pm
Location: In your head
Has thanked: 1153 times
Been thanked: 151 times

Re: KI ranked among the world's best!

#35 Post by Ho Really » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:51 pm

Nice photo of Backstairs Passage Al. The feasibility of bridges and tunnels and their costs would make these projects pie-in-the-sky. The mass tourism that it would create would ruin KI's unspoilt character. Leaving it as is, as an eco/boutique destination would be best.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5896
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 821 times
Been thanked: 1583 times

Re: KI ranked among the world's best!

#36 Post by Norman » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:07 pm

All NIMBYs should be shipped off there. They might actually like it there.

User avatar
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2434
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:29 pm
Location: In your head
Has thanked: 1153 times
Been thanked: 151 times

Re: KI ranked among the world's best!

#37 Post by Ho Really » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:49 am

Norman wrote:All NIMBYs should be shipped off there. They might actually like it there.
You pay their expenses and I'm sure they would. Nothing beats clean air!

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

User avatar
Cruise
Banned
Banned
Posts: 2209
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:19 pm
Location: Bay 115, Football Park

Re: KI ranked among the world's best!

#38 Post by Cruise » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:41 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Norman wrote:All NIMBYs should be shipped off there. They might actually like it there.
You pay their expenses and I'm sure they would. Nothing beats clean air!

Cheers
Should we start a collection?

ive got a hat we can use to pass around :D

User avatar
ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:15 am
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: KI ranked among the world's best!

#39 Post by ynotsfables » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:47 pm

Now fellas there is such a thing called balance why should any environment be damaged. In this environmentally conscience era i don't understand why we can't look after and nurture our progress at the same time.

Edgar
Legendary Member!
Posts: 990
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:20 pm
Location: Adelaide
Contact:

Re: KI ranked among the world's best!

#40 Post by Edgar » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:03 am

Cruise wrote:
rogue wrote:Sorry for digging up an old thread again, but it saves starting a new one.

I was at Cape Jervis over the weekend and was looking over to KI. It didn't really look that far (distance wise) and have since found out it is 16kms from the mainland to Penneshaw.

Do you think it would ever be feasible for a bridge to link the 2? Something like the road to Key West in Florida.

I cant believe the current ferry link is not part of the national highway network like the Tasmanian ferry is. Everyone that travels on the Spirit of Tasmania receives a subsidy. Why not the same for Sealink?
I cant see a bridge being feasible in a long time unless a private constortium wished to fund it.

But yes given the current costs of going there by car (plus the passengers cost) government subsidies should be in place.

If my memory serves me correctly i think it costs about $80 per vehicle and $20 per adult (one way) a bit to steep if you ask me!!!
So how much exactly does it cost to get over there?

Say if my car has 4 adults, does that mean that I am paying $80 for my vehicle plus $80 for the 4 adults?

That's ridiculous.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

User avatar
Cruise
Banned
Banned
Posts: 2209
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:19 pm
Location: Bay 115, Football Park

Re: KI ranked among the world's best!

#41 Post by Cruise » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:46 pm

Cruise wrote: I cant see a bridge being feasible in a long time unless a private constortium wished to fund it.

But yes given the current costs of going there by car (plus the passengers cost) government subsidies should be in place.

If my memory serves me correctly i think it costs about $80 per vehicle and $20 per adult (one way) a bit to steep if you ask me!!!

here you go

User avatar
rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 615
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:45 am
Location: Over here
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: KI ranked among the world's best!

#42 Post by rogue » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:50 pm

That is correct.

Current pricing is:
Car - $162 return
Adult - $80 return
Student - $66 return
Child - $44 return

As per SeaLink website http://www.sealink.com.au/ferry_fares.html

Its cheaper to go for a weekend in Melbourne. That is why I asked the question about the feasability of a bridge (toll bridge even).

It's f*^king expensive!

User avatar
Cruise
Banned
Banned
Posts: 2209
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:19 pm
Location: Bay 115, Football Park

Re: KI ranked among the world's best!

#43 Post by Cruise » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:54 pm

i should also say last time i went they had a special on.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests