Beer Garden

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Beer Garden

#2086 Post by monotonehell » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:49 am

Wayno wrote:I heard the Stag Hotel has closed down?

Can anyone confirm?
Cibo Rundle Street has been shut the past two days, but the Stag looked open last I walked past it. I think it was Monday. Will look tonight when I go home.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2087 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:50 am

Can anyone confirm?
According to their facelook page, yes.

https://www.facebook.com/staghotel?rf=133890486675979

Nathan

#2088 Post by Nathan » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:06 am

monotonehell wrote:

Can anyone confirm?
Cibo Rundle Street has been shut the past two days, but the Stag looked open last I walked past it. I think it was Monday. Will look tonight when I go home.
Cibo is back open.

Nathan

#2089 Post by Nathan » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:08 am

I seem to recall seeing an article a few weeks ago saying that The Stag (the business) was in financial trouble and administrators had been appointed. So no that "unforeseen". Can't find the article now though.

Of interest is that The Stag business and The Stag hotel are two different things, the former leasing the latter. So don't be surprised if the owners of the hotel re-lease it to new operators in the future.

ghs

#2090 Post by ghs » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:35 am

I would it would be unlikely to re - open. Pubs in the city are not such a good business. The Colonel
Light hotel also closed recently. It would make a good site for apartments or even a hotel, with views overlooking the
parklands.

Nathan

#2091 Post by Nathan » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:57 am

ghs wrote:I would it would be unlikely to re - open. Pubs in the city are not such a good business. The Colonel
Light hotel also closed recently. It would make a good site for apartments or even a hotel, with views overlooking the
parklands.
But the Colonel Light Hotel was rubbish. Pubs in the city can be a good business, but no business is owed success.

Llessur2002

#2092 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:57 am

Would be sad for the east end to lose a pub - it's got great potential in this spot, perhaps needs a change of image though. Plus, the building's heritage listed so presumably they'd be up with a fight to demolish and develop the site?

Also, with the forecast increase in the city population over the coming years I would have though pubs would be an increasingly attractive business opportunity. From experience, if there are two things city dwellers love, it's eating out and going to the pub. :cheers:

Nathan

#2093 Post by Nathan » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:14 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:Would be sad for the east end to lose a pub - it's got great potential in this spot, perhaps needs a change of image though. Plus, the building's heritage listed so presumably they'd be up with a fight to demolish and develop the site?

Also, with the forecast increase in the city population over the coming years I would have though pubs would be an increasingly attractive business opportunity. From experience, if there are two things city dwellers love, it's eating out and going to the pub. :cheers:
It will still be a pub. It's just the lessee going bust, not the owners of the building.
“The control of the hotel will now revert back to the landlord.”

The landlord is Rundle East Company Pty Ltd, owned by the Maras Group.

Maras Group chairman Theo Maras told InDaily: “We never received an offer from Ferrier Hodgson. No offer was made by Ferrier Hodgson, none”.

“We will negotiate our own tenant on the basis of who will offer the best for the hotel and the area in order to maintain the ongoing East End ethos,” Maras said.
Given the work Maras has put in transforming his patch of the East End, I don't think this will be a dead spot for long.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2094 Post by Wayno » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:20 pm

yep Stag closure confirmed. Refer to AdelaideNow.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2095 Post by crawf » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:25 pm

I'm sure it won't be long before it's snapped up and re-opened. It's just too much of a prominent location to sit there vacant.
Nathan wrote:But the Colonel Light Hotel was rubbish. Pubs in the city can be a good business, but no business is owed success.
This.

I think went to the Stag once... years ago.

The Scooter Guy

#2096 Post by The Scooter Guy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:10 pm

The Newmarket Hotel is now for sale. Would this mean that HQ Complex would close too?
I could be right that the proximity of the new RAH would've put the east end pubs to shame,
Because deep down inside, there is fear that the loud after-dark rave/techno/metal music can disturb some patients due to a lack of sound baffles...
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Nathan

#2097 Post by Nathan » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:24 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:The Newmarket Hotel is now for sale. Would this mean that HQ Complex would close too?
I could be right that the proximity of the new RAH would've put the east end pubs to shame,
Because deep down inside, there is fear that the loud after-dark rave/techno/metal music can disturb some patients due to a lack of sound baffles...
The Newmarket + HQ Complex has been on the market for months, and it's leased through to January 2017.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2098 Post by AtD » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:59 pm

A long-time mate of mine, ex-Melbourne guy who now lives in San Fran, just spent the weekend in little ol’ Adelaide simply because it’s the only Australian city he had never been to. I told him to check out Kings Head, Rundle St and Gouger St but other than that he made his own fun. He was blown away by Kings Head, loved the charm of the city and was left wondering why it’s called the City of Churches. He even made his way down to Glenelg (against my advice), which he enjoyed even in the cold weather.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2099 Post by monotonehell » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:21 pm

AtD wrote:...was left wondering why it’s called the City of Churches...
Did you set him straight on that?

It was about the diversity of religions we hosted, not the frequency of religious buildings. These days that could be said of just about any city not living under a theocracy.

About time we shook off that out of date epithet.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2100 Post by AtD » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:22 pm

Do you have a source for that?