Beer Garden

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
aceman
High Rise Poster!

Re: Beer Garden

#646 Post by aceman » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:38 pm

Queen Anne wrote:
aceman wrote:Thanks anna. yeah it's gonna be a pain in the backside but worth it. Canberra is such a dump of a place. The novelty of being here wore out after the first month. Adelaide has so much more, it's just the right size. Here we are stuck on ADSL1, the TV programming is crap (mainly referring to sport) Adelaide has so much more choice.

Half the time here you forget whether your in Canberra or Sydney as some of the news services are Sydney's.

Anyway lots to do in preperation for the move, luckily we are being financially compensated for it and there is no cost to us which sweetens the deal!!!
I'm glad for you that you're being compensated for your move. Wish we were! And you're right about it being a pain! But, yes, worth it :) Even though I like Seattle and the US, I can't wait to get home. They're right, there really is no place like home, not to me anyway.
Luckily I work in Defence and we get paid to move around Australia. This is our fifth move and will be our last (I have been known to say that in the past!) We want the kids to be settled in one place and not have to move them to different schools all the time. Adelaide is just the perfect place for raising a young family.

Queen Anne
Donating Member
Donating Member

#647 Post by Queen Anne » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:48 am

aceman wrote: We want the kids to be settled in one place and not have to move them to different schools all the time. Adelaide is just the perfect place for raising a young family.
Agreed! We won't be moving our kids' schools again. I'm really looking forward to my kids getting back home, and our eldest, in particular, cannot wait! It would be interesting to hear how you and your family finds being home.

Shuz, thanks for the reply. The song is called Little Boxes. It was written by Malvina Reynolds in 1962, and made famous by Pete Seeger (folk/protest singer).

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#648 Post by AtD » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:04 am

Premier assaulted, man detained
THE AUSTRALIAN
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 87,00.html
SOUTH Australian Premier Mike Rann has been assaulted while attending a function at the National Wine Centre.

He suffered bruising and a minor cut to his face when he was set upon by a man during a Labor Party SA Progressive Business function around 8.30pm (9pm AEST).

It is understood Mr Rann's alleged attacker was at an upstairs wine tasting function. He rushed down the stairs and allegedly struck Mr Rann repeatedly to the face.

Police Acting Inspector Rob Badenock said Mr Rann was struck under the eye with a rolled up magazine, The Advertiser reports.

Witnesses claimed the man then tried to grab a knife off from a dinner table.

They allleged the man thrust the knife towards Mr Rann. But one of the businessmen at the function grabbed the man and the knife and wrestled the man to the ground.

"He went for a knife and one of the guys sitting at the table grabbed the knife and held the knife and held him back," the witness said.

The function was attended by 180 of Adelaide's top business leaders.

At least two businessmen tackled Mr Rann's assailant and then dragged him outside.

It is understood one of those who came to Mr Rann's rescue is Property Council of Australia SA executive director Nathan Paine.

"They didn't shy away. They came to his defence pretty well," a senior Labor source said.

At least two doctors who were at the function treated Mr Rann at the scene. Police later arrived and took the alleged attacker away. It is believed Mr Rann has now gone home and did not required hospital treatment.

"It's (his face) bruised. It's blue. It's red. He's feeling it," the Labor source said.

"Everyone was pretty shocked."

Insp Badenock said he believed it was the first time a State MP had been attacked in 40 years.

A 55-year-old man from Burnside was arrested and detained at the city watch house. Police said he was expected to be charged with aggravated assault.
Looks like Nathan (PropertyozSA) should get a second job as a body guard! :mrgreen:

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#649 Post by cruel_world00 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:55 pm

AtD wrote:
Premier assaulted, man detained
THE AUSTRALIAN
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 87,00.html
SOUTH Australian Premier Mike Rann has been assaulted while attending a function at the National Wine Centre.

He suffered bruising and a minor cut to his face when he was set upon by a man during a Labor Party SA Progressive Business function around 8.30pm (9pm AEST).

It is understood Mr Rann's alleged attacker was at an upstairs wine tasting function. He rushed down the stairs and allegedly struck Mr Rann repeatedly to the face.

Police Acting Inspector Rob Badenock said Mr Rann was struck under the eye with a rolled up magazine, The Advertiser reports.

Witnesses claimed the man then tried to grab a knife off from a dinner table.

They allleged the man thrust the knife towards Mr Rann. But one of the businessmen at the function grabbed the man and the knife and wrestled the man to the ground.

"He went for a knife and one of the guys sitting at the table grabbed the knife and held the knife and held him back," the witness said.

The function was attended by 180 of Adelaide's top business leaders.

At least two businessmen tackled Mr Rann's assailant and then dragged him outside.

It is understood one of those who came to Mr Rann's rescue is Property Council of Australia SA executive director Nathan Paine.

"They didn't shy away. They came to his defence pretty well," a senior Labor source said.

At least two doctors who were at the function treated Mr Rann at the scene. Police later arrived and took the alleged attacker away. It is believed Mr Rann has now gone home and did not required hospital treatment.

"It's (his face) bruised. It's blue. It's red. He's feeling it," the Labor source said.

"Everyone was pretty shocked."

Insp Badenock said he believed it was the first time a State MP had been attacked in 40 years.

A 55-year-old man from Burnside was arrested and detained at the city watch house. Police said he was expected to be charged with aggravated assault.
Looks like Nathan (PropertyozSA) should get a second job as a body guard! :mrgreen:

Looks like Paine really wants those height limitations cleared up and revised :P

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#650 Post by jk1237 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:30 pm

I woke up yesterday and felt like going to New Zealand. Never been before. Been thinking for a while but just went online and booked tickets for next month for a week. Stunned myself even. Cant wait. Ive always wanted to see our little sister Christchurch and up to Wellington

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#651 Post by monotonehell » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:57 pm

jk1237 wrote:I woke up yesterday and felt like going to New Zealand. Never been before. Been thinking for a while but just went online and booked tickets for next month for a week. Stunned myself even. Cant wait. Ive always wanted to see our little sister Christchurch and up to Wellington
I've been informed by "proper Kiwis" that I've not been to "New Zealand" as I only visited Auckland. They call Aucklanders "JAFAs" (Just Another F'ing Aucklander).

But I did like my short stay there. I had planned on several other locations, like Rotorua, Napier, The TranzAlpine railway, and so on, but my plans were truncated by lack of time so I just opted to use my flights to and from Auckland. Pretty city, they drive MAD as MAD things. The bus drivers lurched around the place at a thousand miles an hour despite the hilly are curvy terrain. Twice I was on a bus that side swiped a parked car, and neither time did the driver stop. :lol:

I met a tonne of Kiwis in California, all great people. You'll have a great time. :mrgreen:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#652 Post by jk1237 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:45 pm

thanks mono. I think I will do that Tranzalpine train as a day trip from CHC but its not cheap, oh well :lol: Gonna fly ADL/MEL to Christchurch then tranzsomething train to Picton/ferry/Wellington and found a cheap Qantas fare of $257 from WLG to ADL

how was your trip to LA, havent seen a full report yet

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#653 Post by monotonehell » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:12 am

jk1237 wrote:how was your trip to LA, havent seen a full report yet
I just went through my photos and reduced them to web size. But I failed at photos, with only a few of Disneyland, and a few of freeways and a bit of LA from a bus window. Mostly didn't turn out. Not really much to report. I relaxed a lot, it was damn hot so I didn't venture out much on the public transport as I had planned. Just took a coach tour of greater LA as a compromise. Spent a LOT of time in Disneyland and in bars drinking margaritas. :D

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#654 Post by Omicron » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:16 am

I nominate myself to have another TimTam.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#655 Post by monotonehell » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:17 am

Omicron wrote:I nominate myself to have another TimTam.
Seconded.

Omicron

#656 Post by Omicron » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:21 am

I would like to report, in the interests of full disclosure, that the TimTam policy launch was a success - no men wielding rolled-up magazines (although alas! no wine nor Wine Centre), no storm-chocolate run-off, and no lower-case letter 'i's showing up unexpectedly.

The Scooter Guy

Golden Grove from the 90s

#657 Post by The Scooter Guy » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:47 pm

If anyone has images of Golden Grove during the 90s including Golden Grove Village (before and during the extension construction), please let me know! By the way, Golden Grove Village is where I usually go shopping and I've been visiting since I was only 3.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#658 Post by aceman » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:33 pm

Hey guys, 36 days until I return home to Adelaide!!!

Can't wait, Whooo Hooooo :D :D :D :D

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#659 Post by monotonehell » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:01 pm

Border authorities have been alerted, Aceman. ;)

Did anyone see the small article in the Advertiser today, regarding Melbourne sending one of its old trams to be run in San Francisco? Apparently Bracks is over there now.

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#660 Post by Prince George » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:22 am

monotonehell wrote:Did anyone see the small article in the Advertiser today, regarding Melbourne sending one of its old trams to be run in San Francisco? Apparently Bracks is over there now.
They did the same thing for Seattle, sent five of the old ones here to run as a streetcar in the downtown/waterfront area - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Wa ... _Streetcar. They ran for almost 25 years until the maintenance sheds were demolished to build a waterfront sculpture garden. With the waterfront freeway getting replaced or removed (the debate on which is ongoing), it's likely that the service would come back, but probably with new rolling stock to match the other streetcar line that they built over the last decade.