Beer Garden

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

Re: Beer Garden

#2326 Post by OlympusAnt » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:36 pm

So many spam bots getting in lately, maybe its time to upgrade the sign up process or something?
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#2327 Post by timtam20292 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:43 pm

OlympusAnt wrote:So many spam bots getting in lately, maybe its time to upgrade the sign up process or something?
Gosh tell me about it.

The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2328 Post by The Scooter Guy » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:10 pm

I think I'd better hurry just in case...
THE Adelaide Aquatic Centre has cost ratepayers $250,000 in just nine months and should be closed, city councillor Anne Moran says.

She said that only a minority of Adelaide City Council ratepayers used the ageing North Adelaide pool and it was time to “name a date” for its closure if another provider could not be found.

“We tried to gift it to the State Government about 10 years ago, which they rejected laughingly, recognising what a burden it was,” said Cr Moran, who once sat on the Adelaide Aquatic Centre Authority, the body responsible for administering the centre.

“It’s a state facility we’re running with absolutely no help. We’re basically the last man standing.”

Cr Moran said that money put towards restoring the site in recent years had been “reactive, not proactive” and major upgrades were overdue.

“It makes me sad to say, but we’re at the end of the road now and I think it’s dawning on even the newer councillors that something severe has to happen.”

A council report tabled late last month blamed the $250,000 loss, incurred during the nine months since the end of June, on poor public attendance and lower-than-expected enrolments in the centre’s swim school.

But North Ward Cr Phil Martin said the council had a core responsibility to maintain the service for city council ratepayers who used the centre.

“I certainly want to make sure that in the coming budget process we have a very open and public debate about this and other council-operated businesses to ensure they are not lost in a clean-out of money-losing services,” he said.

A spokeswoman from the State Government Office of Recreation and Sport last week confirmed it had no plans to take on the centre, stating it was the council’s responsibility.

Council management, amid a major review of commercial operations, had not ruled out trying to outsource the site to a private provider but a spokesman said there were no current plans.

The spokesman said membership had remained stable despite the opening of Marion’s SA Aquatic and Leisure Centre — with groups such as Norwood Swimming Club, Water Polo SA and numerous schools still reliant on the centre.

Norwood Swimming Club president Scott Ireland said around 120 of the club’s 280 members trained at the centre daily.

He said if the facility were to close it would prove disastrous for the club.

“The club would not be able to find a 50-metre pool space in winter as no other exists within a reasonable travelling time near the city,” Mr Ireland said.

“We would also see a number of promising young swimmers and their families have to make hard decisions regarding their future sporting careers.

“It would be a disaster for a sport that produced a gold medal at the recent Olympics for this country.”
Source: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... cd92650333
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2329 Post by SRW » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:57 pm

Tbh, the facilty kinda has outlived its usefulness. Closure and return to parklands wouldn't be the worst outcome, though in that event I would hope a new, smaller facility more centrally located (riverbank?) could be supported.
Keep Adelaide Weird

The Scooter Guy

#2330 Post by The Scooter Guy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:53 am

SRW wrote:Tbh, the facilty kinda has outlived its usefulness. Closure and return to parklands wouldn't be the worst outcome, though in that event I would hope a new, smaller facility more centrally located (riverbank?) could be supported.
It was only upgraded a few years ago. Looks a bit 'bastardized' without all the greenery and rockeries compared with the good ol' days.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2331 Post by monotonehell » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:19 pm

The new Levi's shop on Rundle Mall has been closed all weekend. Anyone know what's going on?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2332 Post by rev » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:31 am

What's wrong Mono need a new pair of 501's? :mrgreen:

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2333 Post by monotonehell » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:21 am

rev wrote:What's wrong Mono need a new pair of 501's? :mrgreen:
Yes. My old ones are really smelly.

Nathan

#2334 Post by Nathan » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:32 pm

monotonehell wrote:The new Levi's shop on Rundle Mall has been closed all weekend. Anyone know what's going on?
Walked past and had a peek in. Lot's of racks in the middle covered with tarps, and a bunch of workers at the back with a scissor lift. I'm going to guess their roof received a heap of damage from that heavy downpour last week.

ghs

#2335 Post by ghs » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:35 pm

FFS, Anne Moran wants the aquatic centre closed after they just spent millions of dollars upgrading the
centre a couple of years ago ??

I notice they have security staff at the aquatic centre walking around doing nothing. Firstly, if they want to save
money then fuck the security staff off as they're not doing anything anyway. Secondly the entrance fee is only
about $8 for an adult, they could easily increase this to $12 to $15 to make the centre more viable.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2336 Post by monotonehell » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:53 am

Nathan wrote:
monotonehell wrote:The new Levi's shop on Rundle Mall has been closed all weekend. Anyone know what's going on?
Walked past and had a peek in. Lot's of racks in the middle covered with tarps, and a bunch of workers at the back with a scissor lift. I'm going to guess their roof received a heap of damage from that heavy downpour last week.
Your idea has merit. Heaps of places around Adelaide saw water getting in. Emergency cleaners have been swamped with work.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#2337 Post by Goodsy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:21 am

The Gepps Cross Drive In burnt down last night

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2338 Post by crawf » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:17 pm

GoodSmackUp wrote:The Gepps Cross Drive In burnt down last night
The screen itself and projector equipment is fine, it's just the main building that was majorly affected.

I'm sure it will reopen again soon.
Suspicious fire causes massive damage at the Mainline Drive-in cinema with bill estimated to be $400,000
March 29, 2017 10:27am
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/law- ... 5730d5e1df

A RAM-RAID and suspicious fire have destroyed Adelaide’s last drive-in cinema.

Firefighters were called to the Mainline Drive-in in Gepps Cross just after 1.30am on Wednesday after a large fire engulfed the main building at the cinema.

Eight fire crews brought the flames under control within 30 minutes and the damage bill is estimated to be around $400,000.

Crime scene investigators have since established a vehicle was used to smash entry into the building and police are investigating whether accelerant was used.

It is alleged an ATM from the cinema was loaded onto the back of a stolen ute.

The free-standing $300,000 projector room was not damaged but power has been cut.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2339 Post by Ben » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:32 pm

TBH it is probably a blessing. That building hasn't been touched since 1950. It could do with a spruce up and I assume its covered by insurance.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#2340 Post by Hooligan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:19 pm

Ben wrote:TBH it is probably a blessing. That building hasn't been touched since 1950. It could do with a spruce up and I assume its covered by insurance.
I just hope they don't use this as an excuse to close it down and sell off the land.

Not that I go often but the drive in is always a fun way to watch a movie every now and then.

Code: Select all

Signature removed