Beer Garden

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: Beer Garden

#3046 Post by rev » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:58 am

Our health system wont cope if theres a huge explosion in infections.
I'd be surprised if there isn't some sort of quarantine within the fortnight.

Rationing has already started. Not on every supermarket item, but its only a matter of time before its for everythingz, including fuel.
I mean its happening now only because people are panic buying ridiculous amounts ie the toilet paper thing.

Experts are saying avoid large gatherings. The government isnt.
Id listen to the experts.

This is another time we need national leadership and our leaders prefer to keep thier heads buried in thier own asses, even with one minister at least infected (Peter Dutton).

They stopped non Aussies coming in from China, and then let in 31,000 chinese students anyway. Why?

We should quickly learn from whats happening in Italy. They didn't take it as seriously as they should either.
They should be cancelling everything and cutting all air and marine traffic from outside of Australia coming in.

Trump shut down flights from Europe. Why can't our politicians do it?

They need to also inform people NOW about what will happen and how a quarantine or lockdow will work.
What essential services will be maintained. Phones etc..
What will we be able to do, will we be confined to home 100%
Will there be exceptions? If so for who/what..
If we get sick while lockeddowm, what do we do..?

We keep getting told hand sanitizer, but there's almost none available, and even government departments are struggling to get any. Is anything being done to address this?

If it lasts longer then 2 weeks, and peoples supplies dwindle, will they be able to get to a supermarket, how will it work etc...or will supplies be made available, for example will the ADF be deployed.

People aren't thinking logically or at all about these things, they're either dismissing it as just the flu, or panic buying.
But when these realizations dawn on them, most likely as quarantine is announced, the great toilet paper stampede will look like a minor footnote.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#3047 Post by HiTouch » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:26 am

I am a healthy young adult male who needs a general break from people so I don’t have as much of a “dark sorrowful” view as old men like rev. The idea of having a mild Coronavirus doesn’t sound that bad. Think about it, no people, no work, no responsibility, stay home, drink tea and play video games and to top it off, a solid victim complex. Sounds like every young persons dream.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3048 Post by SRW » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:45 am

HiTouch wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:26 am
I am a healthy young adult male who needs a general break from people so I don’t have as much of a “dark sorrowful” view as old men like rev. The idea of having a mild Coronavirus doesn’t sound that bad. Think about it, no people, no work, no responsibility, stay home, drink tea and play video games and to top it off, a solid victim complex. Sounds like every young persons dream.
In Adelaide we joke a lot about the two degrees of separation we seem to have from anybody. It's a useful analogy to hold in mind given the problem with COVID-19 is that it's highly transmissible and affects certain demographics more severely. You might be fine, but you're only a couple people away from passing the virus to someone who's not. I have immunocompromised family members and my biggest worry is protecting them from exposure. If we don't slow transmission, and cases spike, then we become Italy where the health system is overwhelmed and doctors have to chose which people they can care for and which they let die.
Keep Adelaide Weird

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#3049 Post by HiTouch » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:49 am

SRW wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:45 am
HiTouch wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:26 am
In Adelaide we joke a lot about the two degrees of separation we seem to have from anybody. It's a useful analogy to hold in mind given the problem with COVID-19 is that it's highly transmissible and affects certain demographics more severely. You might be fine, but you're only a couple people away from passing the virus to someone who's not. I have immunocompromised family members and my biggest worry is protecting them from exposure. If we don't slow transmission, and cases spike, then we become Italy where the health system is overwhelmed and doctors have to chose which people they can care for and which they let die.
Yeah good point. I guess the fact that it takes weeks for symptoms to show is worrying in that you could have it and be in contact with heaps of people. Maybe I should be proactive and isolate myself then :wink:

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3050 Post by Ho Really » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:34 am

HiTouch wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:49 am
Yeah good point. I guess the fact that it takes weeks for symptoms to show is worrying in that you could have it and be in contact with heaps of people. Maybe I should be proactive and isolate myself then :wink:
Even if you don't have symptoms you could be a carrier.

Didn't want to say this but...Don't cough, sneeze or spit towards people and keep a distance. Probably 2 metres away. Forget wearing surgical masks. Leave those for healthcare workers and doctors. Lather your mits with soap then rinse thoroughly for 30 seconds (not 20). Soap is fine, dishwashing liquid even better as it takes the fatty outer layer of the virus away weakening it. Only touch what you need at the supermarket/shop and make sure you disinfect surfaces at home (door handles, light switches and anywhere else you and others may touch). Think continuously about your actions and the consequences. Not an easy thing to do but this is the reality. This virus is serious business. In Italy it all started with patient "0" an Italian citizen of Chinese origin who came back from China. He had no symptoms! Take care.

Cheers

P.S. There are some good articles online by epidemiologists/doctors. Read them if not sure.
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3051 Post by Norman » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:36 pm

rev wrote:They stopped non Aussies coming in from China, and then let in 31,000 chinese students anyway. Why?
I'm pretty sure they were let in because they will be here for the long term, so they will be self-quarantining for the 14 days required. Most tourists and business travelers are here for less than 14 days, so quarantining them will make their holiday pointless.

rev

#3052 Post by rev » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:06 am

Norman wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:36 pm
rev wrote:They stopped non Aussies coming in from China, and then let in 31,000 chinese students anyway. Why?
I'm pretty sure they were let in because they will be here for the long term, so they will be self-quarantining for the 14 days required. Most tourists and business travelers are here for less than 14 days, so quarantining them will make their holiday pointless.
They were let in because these governments care more about money then public health and safety.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3053 Post by Norman » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:34 am

rev wrote:
Norman wrote:
They were let in because these governments care more about money then public health and safety.
Sure, I don't dispute that the government cares about the money they bring in. But if they are not sick on arrival and get through the 14 day quarantine period why should they not be here to continue their studies?

rev

#3054 Post by rev » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:58 am

Norman wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:34 am
rev wrote:
Norman wrote:

Sure, I don't dispute that the government cares about the money they bring in. But if they are not sick on arrival and get through the 14 day quarantine period why should they not be here to continue their studies?
Really? This actually needs to be explained? Wow.

Because why should we take such a risk with OUR HEALTH?

Because this is a virus, that until there is a vaccine, can only be controlled by measures such as so called social distancing, banning large public gatherings, travel restrictions and so on.
Those things, along with hygiene, are our only defence against this virus.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#3055 Post by HiTouch » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:51 pm

rev wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:58 am
Norman wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:34 am
rev wrote:
Really? This actually needs to be explained? Wow.

Because why should we take such a risk with OUR HEALTH?

Because this is a virus, that until there is a vaccine, can only be controlled by measures such as so called social distancing, banning large public gatherings, travel restrictions and so on.
Those things, along with hygiene, are our only defence against this virus.
Ah yes, unconscious racism by rev. What he really means is that he thinks that all Chinese are carriers of the Virus.

Ho Really

#3056 Post by Ho Really » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:13 pm

HiTouch wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:51 pm
Ah yes, unconscious racism by rev. What he really means is that he thinks that all Chinese are carriers of the Virus.
All you need is one to be a carrier. How about an asymptomatic?

Cheers

SBD

#3057 Post by SBD » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:51 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:13 pm
HiTouch wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:51 pm
All you need is one to be a carrier. How about an asymptomatic?

Cheers
That's true, but just as likely for an Australian businessperson as for a Chinese student. Both are requried to self-isolate for a fortnight after leaving China/arriving in Australia.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3058 Post by SRW » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:42 am

Just to bring it home to our interest in developments here, I guess we can forget about any of the proposed hotels starting this year or even next? The tourism industry will take a long time to bounce back (especially as the worst is yet to come). Coupled with looming recession (from COVID-19, bushfires, and Coalition mismanagement) we're likely to see most CBD construction slow down. Exceptions may be civic construction (things like SAHMRI 2) or residential if government invests in social housing for stimulus.
Keep Adelaide Weird

SBD

#3059 Post by SBD » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:04 am

SRW wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:42 am
Just to bring it home to our interest in developments here, I guess we can forget about any of the proposed hotels starting this year or even next? The tourism industry will take a long time to bounce back (especially as the worst is yet to come). Coupled with looming recession (from COVID-19, bushfires, and Coalition mismanagement) we're likely to see most CBD construction slow down. Exceptions may be civic construction (things like SAHMRI 2) or residential if government invests in social housing for stimulus.
I guess the alternate view is that "once it's all over", there will be a release of pent-up demand for holidays to catch up on the ones that people have missed.

As far as I can tell, cured people are immune to getting it again, so there will be an increasing number of safe tourists, and vaccine is expected to be widely available within 18 months for those of us who have not had it.

Ho Really

#3060 Post by Ho Really » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:05 pm

SRW wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:42 am
No the tourism will not take a long time to recover. If we manage this virus with the isolation it deserves we'll be back to normal soon by end of year. The Chinese although secretive early on, and perhaps slow in a reaction, with the help of their political system have enforced a lockdown that now is producing positive results. Europeans (as in the EU) on the otherhand with their care-free attitude have exacerbated the whole issue. Like too many cooks in the kitchen.

A recession yes, but not by government mismanagement. Bushfires and pandemics are not of the government's doing. Let's wait and see what the first part of the stimulus does and then wait for the second before you accuse anyone SRW.

As for social housing, for whom? Yes civic construction, hospitals and clinics, public transport, roads and highways, schools and investment in trades, etc. Give people jobs and incentives not social experiments that have failed.

Cheers